Thread: Roland SPD-S or Alesis Performance Pad?

User Info Menu

Default Roland SPD-S or Alesis Performance Pad?

Anyone have either of these? I'm considering integrating a sampling pad into my acoustic kit and I'm looking for some advice on what to buy. Any tips would be appreciated.
    As of 1/7/09: Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch. 12", 14" 16" 20" DW Brass snare. Pearl Eliminator double bass pedal. DW 5000 hi hat stand.

14" Sabian AA Studio Hats
    16" Sabian AA Sound Control Crash-brilliant finish
    18" K Custom Dark Crash
    20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

Pork Pie Saddle (Purple on zebra stripe- so ugly no one will steal it!)

Sticks: Pro Mark 5A, Shira Kashi Oak

User Info Menu

Default Re: Roland SPD-S or Alesis Performance Pad?

well if you're looking for a sampling pad then you have no choice but the spds. the performance pad just has sounds built in. i have an spds on my accoustic kit and i LOVE it. such a great little unit. i also have some trigger pedals set up for my bass player so he can trigger stuff too. the spds is amazing and i totally reccomend it. i also work at guitar center and have spent some time with the performance pad and haven't really been blown away or anything, while my spds still continues to make me say "wow"

User Info Menu

Got an SPD-S for the sampling ability as well. Truly an awesome piece of equipment. Got to have a mem card, tho, to really capitalize on the units capabilities. Still learning how to fully operate it but, what limited knowledge (and therefore use) I have with it, if you have the use, this is the schnizzle!

Stix
    Encouragement = Fertilizer for the seed of desire
    & the flower of accomplishment.

Sonor S-Class -Ash

22 Bass, 8, 10, 12, 14 Rack, 16 Floor
    14X5 D454 Chrome Snare
    21 Zildjian Ride, 21 Zilco Crash Ride, 15 Sabian AAX Dark Crash
    14 Sabian XS20 Medium Crash, 13 Sabian El Sabor Splash, 13 Zildjian A Custom Hats
    10 Paiste Twenty Splash, 10 Zildjian A Splash, 6 Zildjian Zilbel
    Tama Iron Cobra 2X Pedal & Hatstand, Pearl Icon Rack

www.myspace.com/stix51861

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
    Anyone have either of these? I'm considering integrating a sampling pad into my acoustic kit and I'm looking for some advice on what to buy. Any tips would be appreciated.
    The Alesis Control pad you're talking about right? I got one of them not that long ago, but if you wanted one you'd have to buy a brain to plug it into. I think the Roland has a built in brain but it costs a whole lot more. It just depends on what you what to do really. I use a laptop and run it with Battery 3 because I can obtain any noise I hear through the computer and then trigger them, rather than just being stuck with the sounds that are on the Roland or any other pad with a built in brain.

User Info Menu

Sorry, I just realized the performance pad and the control pad are two different products.

User Info Menu

Right, the control pad is essentially a midi controller as far as i know.
    As of 1/7/09: Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch. 12", 14" 16" 20" DW Brass snare. Pearl Eliminator double bass pedal. DW 5000 hi hat stand.

14" Sabian AA Studio Hats
    16" Sabian AA Sound Control Crash-brilliant finish
    18" K Custom Dark Crash
    20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

Pork Pie Saddle (Purple on zebra stripe- so ugly no one will steal it!)

Sticks: Pro Mark 5A, Shira Kashi Oak