Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recording Drums

User Info Menu

A new Drum Chat user requested a new forum for recording drums. Seemed like a good idea. Here ya go...

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Recording Drums

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    A new Drum Chat user requested a new forum for recording drums. Seemed like a good idea. Here ya go...
    Sorry DA dont get it dont we have that already oh you mean different ways to record drums lol fool I am but meds are kickin in LOL sorry
    Last edited by Larrysperf; 01-03-2009 at 12:01 PM.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Recording Drums

Hey Drummer, thanks for granting my wish of a recording forum... Now that it's here, I forgot what I wanted to ask. I'm sure I'll think of it sooner or later. Well, I guess we could do this to get things started: If you record your drums, what hardware, software, mics, cables etc. do you use?

I'll go first:

Mics
    -Sennheiser e604 tom mics(3)
    -AKG C1000 overheads(2)
    -Audix I5 (snare)
    -Shure SM57(snare)
    -Audix D112 (Kick)

Cables
    -All Monster XLR cables

Connected to
    -Presonus Firepod

Recording with
    -Sonar Home Studio 4 (with a bunch of free VST plugins) installed on a modded Gateway PC. Windows XP64, 4gb ram, 500gb HD, AMD64 processor(wish it was faster but works fine)....

And that about sums it up!
    As of 1/7/09: Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch. 12", 14" 16" 20" DW Brass snare. Pearl Eliminator double bass pedal. DW 5000 hi hat stand.

14" Sabian AA Studio Hats
    16" Sabian AA Sound Control Crash-brilliant finish
    18" K Custom Dark Crash
    20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

Pork Pie Saddle (Purple on zebra stripe- so ugly no one will steal it!)

Sticks: Pro Mark 5A, Shira Kashi Oak

User Info Menu

mine is easy, I plug in my TD20 and play away

I would be interested in what EQ settings and effect others use. This is where I really need to learn a lot.

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

recording drums is quite expensive i hear.
    “The noisiest drum has nothing in it but air”

User Info Menu

OK, here's my set up:

Mics
    -KM212 dynamic cardioid kick drum mic
    -3 TM211 dynamic cardioid tom mics
    -One SN 210 dynamic cardioid snare microphone
    -2 CM 217 cardioid mini pencil condenser mics
    -I'm also considering using a Nady dynamic mic to mic the chimes and roto toms

Preamp
    -Nady PRS-8

Mixer
    -Samson PL2404 line mixer

Recording Software
    -Audacity (freeware)

I realize this is barebones stuff, and I picked up most of this gear used, but one does have to stay within budget, doesn't one.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VISJfkjydqg

recording drums can be expensive. Frustrating too to say the least. If you can get your hands on a Firepod (ebay around $200 now) you can record each mic on a separate track and tweak levels, etc on each drum. Pretty handy...

I've used audacity to make ringtones and set levels, but I wouldn't recommend it for recording. I spent $100 on my sonar home studio software, and it is capable of more than what i need. What are your thought on Audacity, PB?
    As of 1/7/09: Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch. 12", 14" 16" 20" DW Brass snare. Pearl Eliminator double bass pedal. DW 5000 hi hat stand.

18" K Custom Dark Crash
    20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by UhOh View Post
    What are your thought on Audacity, PB?
    Well, the only thoughts that I have is that it didn't take me too long to understand how to use it, and that since I am not using it for anything other than recording my practice so that I can critique it, so it's perfect for me. Now, if I was really setting up a home studio, most of the gear that I have, and the Audacity, would probably be inadequate.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Recording Drums

One thing you have to watch with Audacity is the sensitivity of your mic. I've tried for several months to record a bongo and conga track with a buddy who gave me a cajon riff to experiment with, and several times I've had to scrap my takes because of weather radio warnings, cat fights, air conditioning cycling, off-balanced washing machines, incoming daughters, etc.

For practice, it's awesome, but if you want to share it with someone, be ready for big files and major delays! And if you're wanting serious recordings, you can do better.
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

i am using a tascam 24trk digital recorder all in on package. the digital effects are terrible so i am going to get into some software sooner or later. for mics i use an akg d112 on the kick shure sm57 on the snare, pg56 on the racks, pg52 on the floor tom, and 2 pg81 overheads. i also use an audio technica att220 and an mxl (cant remember the model) for room mics.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    mine is easy, I plug in my TD20 and play away

I would be interested in what EQ settings and effect others use. This is where I really need to learn a lot.

Rman, what is that mixing board? Does it connect to your computer?

18" K Custom Dark Crash
    20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

User Info Menu

It is a Tascam DM-24 and it does connect to my computer and more.

It is a digital mixer so I can route tings as I want. I have the 16 pre-amps going directly as inputs to the computer.

The faders are motorized and they control the output from the computer. I use MIDI for communication so that the faders in the software and the faders on the mixer work together. If I move a fader on the mixer it moves in the software and vise versa. The record and mute buttons also work the same in the software. I also have transport control from the mixer.

It will do a lot more then I am using it for

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Woooooow!! Will that thing control intersteller flight too?

I've read such great things about digital mixers, that I'm sure you're loving that!

User Info Menu

I pound around on some old Yoki dd502 electrics push it thru an Korg D8. I really hate to do that with this little set as the hihat action is terrible. (End up usually with a closed hat chick...) Then hook the ol Korg up to one computer, Run it thru the ol soundblaster hatchet knot, Burn a CD, Bring it back to another computer where I can flow it thru Sound Forge... That's all just for excercise ya see... It really is a hassle! Live, I mic up with a cad7 kit and use two additional condensors all thru my good ol trusty PV XR800 board. Older than dirt but will undoubtedly outlast me... I think I like Rman's rig much mo betta!! Nice rman, Very nice!!
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

It is great, it does have its limitations. I bought it about 3 years ago. YAMAHA is building some amazing stuff but this works great for what I am doing.

I used it for all of the tunes that are on my website

http://robertmdrums.com/music.html
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I use Audix mics, and a Zoom HD-16CD 16-track digital recorder. The Zoom has many capabilities, including hook up to a computer via USB cable, or burning a CD. I would have to look to see what brand the cables are, but the stands for the overheads and kick drum mic are OnStage brand.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I use a combination of Shure and Nady microphones for recording my kit and for live performances. I can record into Audacity on my laptop using an MAudio 410 mini mixer mixed down to stereo from my Mackie 14 channel rack mount mixer.

If you use the Lame plug-in for Audacity you can export to MP3. Granted the actual Audacity files are monsters but you can also buy a 500 GB drive for under $80 now so record, store, and export to MP3 and you are set.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

im gonna record some stuff friday and im a bit nervous about how its gonna sound because the guys house im recording at only has 3 mics i can still make that work right ?
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Shabutie, you can still make it work, even with limited microphones. What type of mics are you going to be using?

User Info Menu

shure
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

Sorry, I wasn't specific enough with my question. I was think about whether you had dynamic mics, or condenser mics, or a combination.

User Info Menu

im not all to sure its not my stuff pastor bob i just hope the recordings turn out ok im gonna also track the bass and vocals my self my friends is gonna track guitar
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

The reason I asked is that I saw a description of a 3 mic set up with a dynamic mics about 6 feet out front of the bass drum, just about the height of the top of the drum so it picks up the bass drum and the bottom of the toms and the snare. Then position 2 condenser mics on either side of the center mic at about 5-6 feet high aimed at the front edge of the cymbals.

Just thought I'd pass it along.

User Info Menu

thats actually a really good idea ill try it out
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

Condensor mics have better characteristics for picking up the highs or cymbals...etc.

If placing microphones for ambient room usage, your mixing will mostly be to get the mic the proper distance from the kit.

Set your sliders in the "sweet" spot on the faders and move the mics around for getting a good mix before messing with the sliders. Another very important part of your mix is the gain on each mic. Too high and you will get nothing but feed back as well as a distorted signal.

The best you can do with limited mics, is mix to the room, not the kit. But when done right, it should sound really good.
    Signature here