Thread: Sweeps

User Info Menu

Default Sweeps

Hey I play tenors on our HS drumline and I am hoping that someone out there could be give me advice on sweeps...they are really giving me a hard time getting them perfectly..I was hoping someone could give a tip on how to clean them up and nail them.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sweeps

Sweeps, you can also refer to them as scrapes, which is what I will refer to them as.

The scrape is obviously just two hits on the same hand, on diffrent drums. The best thing to do to start out is being able to play a solid double stroke at the tempo you need to scrape at. So weather its triplets @ 100BPM, or 32nd notes @ 132BPM, you need to stay solid with the hands first, or the scrapes arn't happening.

Next, the best thing is to remember, your scrape position is diffrent. Your positions on the drums are straight, instead of at a curve when you are playing legato's. Practice 8 on a hand, back and forth on the drums, in and out. (since those are the only directions you scrape)

When you get that down, just work on it, keep your technique constant and solid, and work on pushing your hand out at the elbow. Stay relaxed too, don't use any more muscles then you need. And its pretty much one of those things you figure out on your own.

TIP: Don't sacrafice your technique to get it out. If you have to turn your hand upside-down and take your fingers off the sticks, (you know what I mean) then your doing it wrong. Its just like playing normal.