Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Drummer Girl w Possibly Stupid Questions

User Info Menu

Default New Drummer Girl w Possibly Stupid Questions

I thirst for knowledge.

I've never played the drums. But I will soon. And I will be good. Some of my influences - Fighters, Police/Stewart Copeland, Led Zep, STP, Velvet Revolver, Heavy Alternative, Alternative, heavy classic rock, etc.

Besides the drum pad, which I have and use proficiently, what's the first thing I do when I sit down at the kit? Put on a CD and bang along, or just what do I do? I am intimidated by the kit - sitting in front of it. I want that to stop. I adore you all.

Love,
    Your former Drum Off Miami Hostess
    Last edited by wailgirl; 01-04-2009 at 02:14 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Drummer Girl w Possibly Stupid Questions

Welcome to Drum Chat Wailgirl!

I sure don't think you question is stupid in any way. My advice to you is to start with a good drum teacher. That would go a long way to taking the mystery out of the drum kit, and that's really all it is - a mystery. When you first sit down you can't imagine trying to do so many things at one time, but just like practicing on the drum pad, you start doing things as slow as you need to, and then you gradually speed things up.

It sounds to me that you have confidence in yourself, and that it half the battle. If you believe you can, then you will do whatever it takes to succeed.

Again, welcome to Drum Chat, and I look forward to hearing about your growth as a drummer.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

WG,
    Welcome to the forum, as PB said start slow, and bring the speed up gradually. Getting some instruction from a proficient teacher is a great way to start.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Don't be afriad of the kit!! Have fun with it and don't rush. You get frustarted if you do, like PB said, start slow and take your time and make sure everything is perfect before you speed up, and when you get things up to speed and mess up, start again!
    Welcome to Drumchat!
    -Fred

User Info Menu

Get a teacher before you get on the kit, is my suggestion. I was on my kit for about a year before I took lessons and, in my opinion, it was a waste of time. I look back at that time a laugh, thinking I knew what to do with a drum kit....... I didn't have the first clue......... No book, CD, DVD or on-line teaching guide will give you what a real live teacher can.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Get a teacher before you get on the kit, is my suggestion. I was on my kit for about a year before I took lessons and, in my opinion, it was a waste of time. I look back at that time a laugh, thinking I knew what to do with a drum kit....... I didn't have the first clue......... No book, CD, DVD or on-line teaching guide will give you what a real live teacher can.
    I agree! I waited 4 years before getting lessons, I had myself up to speed. But when I got the lessons. I was doing a bunch of stuff wrong! Good times though

User Info Menu

I concur. Get yourself some drum lessons from a "qualified" drum teacher. Do some research and make sure your teacher is schooled and/or very experienced and has references from satisfied students.

This forum will no doubt be able to answer a lot of questions for you. There are many other great sites to link to from the "links" bar at the top or bottom of the site or you can go to www.Drumming.com for a ton of great drum learning sites.

Good luck and welcome to Drum Chat! You're gonna love it here!!

User Info Menu

Welcome - I also agree with finding a good teacher to start with. in fact do this before you spend loads of money on a kit just in case it does not work out for you!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Welcome Wailgirl to the forum, follow DC's advice and get a teacher quickly if you are unsure what to do on the kit. A teacher will help you not start bad habits that will have to be changed later and you will progress faster.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: New Drummer Girl w Possibly Stupid Questions

Quote Originally Posted by drum_chick View Post
    Welcome aboard, wailgirl! REMEMBER: The only stupid questions are the ones you don't ask...NEVER be afraid to ask! Our brother and sister drummers once asked many of the same questions you're asking right now, and we'll be happy to answer them as best we can!

BTW: Listen to DC! She's been in your shoes and she knows what it's like bein' a newbie who wants to rock the drums. Today, she may be the best drummin' sister in DrumChat!

Do yourself a favor, as most of us have already noted, and get a qualified teacher. When I started taking lessons in 1984 I had the desire but neither the discipline nor the knowledge to just sit right down behind a kit and take off!

In fact, my teacher started me off on the snare (and a practice pad for home use to get my chops up to speed). In time, then came the kit, and after that the hand drums...and I think going through it step by step and thoroughly made the difference!

Now for practice--there are plenty of good books/CDs for rudiments, but practice with anything you can play along with...CDs, tapes, albums, even what's playing on the radio!

BTW, does this mean your goal is to become a drum-off winner in the future? Great goal! You go, wailgirl!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Welcome to DC...and there is excellent advise here.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat, wailgirl! I like your attitude. Confidence and practice will cause the intimidation of which you speak to cower in fear and run away
    My 1960 Ludwig Drumset
    Ludwig Drums
    Snare = 5x14
    Tom-Tom = 9x13
    Floor Tom-Tom = 16x16
    Bass = 14x22
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Hi-Hat = 16
    Splash = 12
    Crash = 16
    Ride = 22
    Sabian Cymbal
    Splash = 10

As a hand-me-down from my dad, it's priceless!

User Info Menu

Hey Wail Girl, Welcome to Drum Chat!

It's all been said.....lessons, definitely!

And just what exactly is a former Drum Off Miami Hostess?
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Welcome WG!!! Ask any question! There is a lot of positive support here. I think everyone here has been in your shoes. I know when I first started drumming, I came here asking a lot of questions. I still do. Knowledge is Power!

User Info Menu

welcome to dc

User Info Menu

I used to work at the Guitar Center where I hosted the Drum Off. Awesome. Made so many friends of the participating drummers all of whom encouraged me so much with tips, etc. Gotta love a drummer.

User Info Menu

hey welcome!
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    hey welcome!
    hey welcome

User Info Menu

welcome wailgirl! everyone else covered pretty much everything. Definitely do not be intimidated by your kit, it will become your friend
    There is literally 100s of years worth of knowledge here with all the different members.

User Info Menu

I think a lot of people are overdramatizing getting behind the kit. Just do it. Put your favortie CD on and start bashing away. The most important thing is to have fun!

User Info Menu

Welcome Wailgirl.
    I agree with everyone above. Get a teacher. I had been playing for several years when I finally decided to take formal lessons. I have improved more in the past year than all the previous years combined.
    Before I started with an instructor, I had never even heard of the 46 drum rudiments. Now I am equally horrible at more than half of them.
    And remember: there are no stupid questions, but there are plenty of inquisitive idiots.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wailgirl View Post
    I used to work at the Guitar Center where I hosted the Drum Off. Awesome. Made so many friends of the participating drummers all of whom encouraged me so much with tips, etc. Gotta love a drummer.

Awesome! My son's been in two Drum Off's (before they raised the age limit) and made it to the store final when he was 10. Very cool contest. As everyone else has said, get a good teacher and welcome!

User Info Menu

Exactly what I was hoping to hear. Thanks. Gotta love it. Your pal, Lynn in Cleveland

User Info Menu

Awesome. I was down in South Florida. Takes after the old er man, eh. Thanks.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Appreciate the excellent encouragement and helpful advice. Lynn in Cleveland