Thread: My frustrating correspondence with an Evans Rep

User Info Menu

Default My frustrating correspondence with an Evans Rep

I usually wouldn't post email contents, but this correspondence ruined my whole day. This started off with me trying to decide which synthetic heads to get for a set of Pearl Primero Pro congas. The last time I bought synthetics, there were size issues, so I headed to both the Evans and Remo sites to see which head versions I needed to order.

(Anything in parenthses below was not part of the correspondence, but my thoughts)

I left this message on the contact us part of their website:

I have a set of 4 Pearl Primero Pro Fiberglass congas and am interested in the tri-center congas head. I didn't see them listed in your head finder section. Which ones will fit? Also, do you make a 10" requinto size (the others are 11, 11.75, and 12)

Reply: (name left out as to not personally embarass anyone):

Thanks for your email. Unfortunately, I can’t say for certain, if our heads will work? It’s best to just see if the head will even seat properly, on the drum, before tightening. As for the 10”, we do not offer that size. Thanks for your interest in Evans.

Me:
    I don't really want to spend $150 on 3 heads that I'm not even sure
    will fit. Do you guys try out your heads on different drums? I can
    always go with the Remo ones if you can't give me any better info that
    this.

(I thought a competitor mention would help things along)

Reply:
    I'm not sure I understand the question, are you asking about samples?
    Unfortunately, we don't have a sample program in place.

(I thought my original question was quite clear, but...)

Me:
    I'm asking if these heads will fit Pearl Primero Pro congas. I don't
    want to buy them if they will not work.

Reply:
    Since we only list the Elite Wood for Pearl, it's hard to say?!? We
    make the heads to the industry standard size. The drum manufacturer's
    actual drum may or may not be compatible exactly to that size? We don't
    size the heads to each new model conga that comes out on the market. If
    you can, take the old head to the store, to match the hoop size, or tell
    them of your situation, and if you take them home to see if it'll fit,
    if it doesn't can you bring it back. I know it's not necessarily the
    answer you were hoping for, but that's really the only way to find out
    for sure.

(Huge drag, since Remo actually does make different sizes for different manufacturers. Also, the question mark misuse is starting to bug me)

Me:
    Unfortunately there are no stores within hours of where I live that
    carry these, so I must order everything online. I'll just have to go
    with something else I suppose.

Reply:
    I am sorry. I wish I had another, definitive way to check it for you.

(I should probably just let it go, but...)

Me:
    Thanks for the correspondence. It seems like you should see which
    drums on the market your heads fit on and provide that information on
    your website. With all the differences in drum and rim sizes
    between companies, that would be useful information for your
    customers.

(resonable request)

To Evans credit, I left this message Saturday evening and the reply came to me Monday morning at 9:30. All the responses I got were very prompt and polite. So their customer service isn't the issue, it's knowledge about their own products. On the Remo site, there are numerous notes to see the "world head selector guide" to pick the correct size, but the guide is not to be found. It seems to me that it would be fairly easy to just link to the thing in the note to check it. I left a smimlar message on the Remo site and no one has bothered to reply yet. Frustrated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: My frustrating correspondence with an Evans Rep

Wow!

User Info Menu

Amazing Shane! Given the state of the economy, one would think that companies would be bending over backward to secure the sale. Good customer service with mediocre product knowledge (at best) is not a good way to survive a bad economy.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hello ShaneRoney, I've had similar problems getting heads for congas. I found that taking my rim to the music store and trying different heads works the best for me. I have found other stock heads for a totally different conga that fit my rim, then cross referenced a synthetic to the totally different drum, ordered the synthetic and WALA! It fit! Now on the Evans head.... You might see another thread I started "Evans vs Remo" the problem I had with the Evans is it had the most ring and overtone of any head I've ever used. It was so bad on my Giovanni that even while I was playing the other drums I could hear the ring and over tones coming from the Evans even though I wasn't even touching it. Not sure if this is with all drum.
    L4C

User Info Menu

I've had these heads before and I liked the sound of them live, and have a set of Remo Fiberskins on my Matadors. They sound amazing, but the top layer started chipping off almost immediately. Also, I read in a different thread that someone was using these because Evans made a 10" requinto head, which I would need. Struck out on that as well.

Unfortunately, I live in Lima, OH. We have 2 music stores. One is band instruments mostly, the other more of a guitar shop with some drums in the back. Columbus, Dayton, and Toledo are hours plus drives, and I was hoping to avoid a trip just to buy heads. When I got the Fiberskins, I called steveweiss (where I got the congas, sweet deal at $600 for the drums, no stands) and one of their guys called remo to get the correct skins, and will probably do that again. I still have no email response to my Remo website question. I think I may try something not Evans on my kit next time as well. It shouldn't be this hard to get someone to take my 200 bucks.

luv4congas - weren't the evans the heads Giovanni used originally? I wonder if he just endorsed and didn't play them or his sound man was really good for all the DVDs. Anyone seen "Traveling Through Time" with El Negro. Sick stuff.

User Info Menu

ShaneRoney, My Geo's came with hand picks but I do know Lp uses Evans with their logo on them and I have heard them on their fiberglass drums like the Lp Originals and they sound ok. My geo's are the wood ones and may be part of my problem. Hey bro, I'll talk to my local shops and see if they have any info on what Evans heads will fit Pearl Primero Pro conga rims. Maybe Richie Flores uses the same "Contour Crown Hoops" and if they fit Richie Flores maybe they'll fit Primero Pro's kinda stuff or something.
    Keep On Jammin Bro!
    L4C

User Info Menu

This is exactly why I tuck my own skin. With all the different conga makers on the market now, there is no more "industry standard". Even finding the correct LP Handpicked head for an LP drum is a pain these days with 3 different rim types on their drums now. Drum sizes vary between companies and models within each company. The days of going into the music store and saying "I need a quinto head" are over, I've seen drums labeled quintos range in size from 9" to 11" depending on maker.

Shane, you may check out Remo Nuskyns, they have a similar feel and sound as the evans. They don't sound as nice as the Fiberskyns in my opinion, but probably more durable. You may have better luck dealing with Remo. I personally don't use synthetic heads, but I have used them all in the past and Evans is by far at the bottom of my list. Like L4C said, the ringing was just unbearable.

User Info Menu

luv4congas & Gretschhead - thanks for the support and assistance. I'm definitely not touching the Evans heads after all this. I'm not sure if I want to stay with the Fiberskins or go with NuSkins or the Skyndeep new stuff. I still don't know if they even make sizes for the Primero's. Combined with the fact that rims on them stick up pretty far, I'm starting to really regret this purchase. Should have stayed with the LP stuff and assemled a set of fiberglass Matadors. They are pretty, though.

User Info Menu

You may also try contacting Pearl. Ask them what heads they recomend and what aftermarket heads will fit. Surely they would know, of course you would think Evans would know too, but we all know how clueless they are now.

If you're not opposed to natural skins L4C or myself could easily talk you through the steps of tucking your own skin. You can use the pre-existing flesh hoops from the heads that came with the drums, so you won't have any sizing issues. I can provide you with some contact information for some very reputable skin suppliers as well. It's easy, fun, and quite rewarding to do it yourself, and the sound quality is unmatched by any pre-mounted head on the market. The only downside is your drums will be out of commission for a while as the skins dry, maybe a week or 2 depending on the climate.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    You may also try contacting Pearl. Ask them what heads they recomend and what aftermarket heads will fit. Surely they would know, of course you would think Evans would know too, but we all know how clueless they are now.

If you're not opposed to natural skins L4C or myself could easily talk you through the steps of tucking your own skin. You can use the pre-existing flesh hoops from the heads that came with the drums, so you won't have any sizing issues. I can provide you with some contact information for some very reputable skin suppliers as well. It's easy, fun, and quite rewarding to do it yourself, and the sound quality is unmatched by any pre-mounted head on the market. The only downside is your drums will be out of commission for a while as the skins dry, maybe a week or 2 depending on the climate.
    Thanks for the offer, and it sounds like a fun and rewarding experience, but not for me at this time. I'm also going for the "stay in tune properties" of the synthetics. Ohio winters can be 50 one day then 15 the next. Synthetic on fiberglass makes sure nothing gets damaged. That sounds interesting in the future for my Matadors which have been staying indoors.

I finally found out which Remos fit my drums. I found a head catalog from 05 saved on my PC, went to the Pearl website to see what signature drums have the same rims as mine (Flores), and found the Fiberskyns for that. I'm taking a gamble on the 10" that the Primero and Primero Pro's are close enough in size.

Thanks for the continuing help everyone.

Larrysperf Guest

Other problem is I heard Evans is outsoursing there heads to mexico, Made in Mexico not USA hmmmmmmm

User Info Menu

Cool Re: My frustrating correspondence with an Evans Rep

Bummer, Shane!

Almost sounds like the trouble I had with LP until my drum teacher friend and I learned (after the fact) that I should have asked for an LP Aspire head for my CP conga. The Synergy skin sounds great, however, and the guy who installed it for me knew just what he was doin', so it was a happier ending than you had...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Shane, Back to that video you posted about Remo is Awesome especially when you click on "More Videos" Theres a whole bunch of the best conga players in the world that tells you the facts on all the Remo conga heads. Most of them seem to like the Nuskyn, Skyndeep for recording and Fiberskyn for live performances. I didn't see anything like that on the Evans site. http://remo.com/mini/crimplocksymmetry/
    L4C

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by luv4congas View Post
    Shane, Back to that video you posted about Remo is Awesome especially when you click on "More Videos" Theres a whole bunch of the best conga players in the world that tells you the facts on all the Remo conga heads. Most of them seem to like the Nuskyn, Skyndeep for recording and Fiberskyn for live performances. I didn't see anything like that on the Evans site. http://remo.com/mini/crimplocksymmetry/
    L4C
    I've heard that Remo Belli (sp?) is very supportive of the hand drumming community. I belive all those vids are posted on another youtube-like site under his name. The only problem I had is when using Firefox, the vid window won't close after it is finished. I had to go back and forward between pages every time. Oh, well. Worth it for the testimonials.