Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Premier Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Premier Drums Discussion

We should not forget about Premier Drums - the best drums in my opinion! Really love the artist maple series, sounds LOVELY!

Advertisement

Cool Drum Accessories
    IRON MAIDEN

User Info Menu

Default Re: Premier Drums Discussion

LOL. These dedicated threads are great. Premier definitely deserves it's own. I've never played any Premiers but I will say that for the most part all the kits I've seen by them have been very classy looking.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Keith Moon of the Who played Premier. Back home the pipe bands used premier equipment exclusively. Really crispy snares. I'd take a vintage set if I found one.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Never heard a Premier Bass Drum that didn't sound GREAT!

Used to have a Premier 12x6 Snare that was brilliant. Great backbeat, and if you cranked it up, the funk sound was awsome.

Their hardware was always good too.

Andy

User Info Menu

My very first kit was a Premier 4pc back in about 1968, in white pearl. All my friends had Ludwig kits and they had never even heard of Premier, but they sounded as good as anything on the market.

I currently own a 1984 Premier 4pc kit, which I believe is an early APK. It is finished in a white wrap.

I also own some newer Premier hardware, and it's some really heavy duty stuff!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I use the Premier 6000 series cymbal stands, they are awesome, really takes care of the cymbals
    IRON MAIDEN

User Info Menu

I've got a 4-piece pre-international sized kit from the early 1960s. It was my first kit and I got it for my 13th birthday. I found a matching second bass drum and got it on my 23rd birthday. I occasionally look for the other sized toms and a snare. They're in mid restoration... funding and space have halted the process... :(
    Anyways, they're 3-ply 4mm thick birch shells with beech reinforcement rings and bass hoops. The sizes are roughly 12x8, 16x16 and 22x14(two).

I've also got a Premier 2000 snare. I believe it's from the 1970s. I finally got the snare wires for it from Puresound but I think I'm going to sell it and wait to find an exact match to my other ones (I thought this one matched when I first saw it). I believe it's an aluminum shell with the parallel throw off system.

They are great drums, this thread needs to be a sticky for sure!
    Last edited by quikstang2; 04-11-2009 at 04:47 PM. Reason: typo
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I have a soft spot in my heart for Premier because the first two kits I spent any time playing were Premiers - my instructor's kit, and the kit at the church I used to attend.

I have an ancient Premier floor tom that was part of my old kit for a while as the result of a bad trade. No fault of the drum; it just didn't go with the Tama's very well. This thing has round-topped screws for tuning lugs.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

What is a sticky?

all the best...

User Info Menu

That was a premier uniqueness I believe. Slotted tension screws you could tune with a coin. No key needed.

all the best...

User Info Menu

no pics anyone? i started out on a premier...

User Info Menu

i'll start.
    this was my beginner kit. came in a black wrap and turned it into a natural finish. voila! sorry for the crappy pic....
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jack's_art View Post
    i'll start.
    this was my beginner kit. came in a black wrap and turned it into a natural finish. voila! sorry for the crappy pic....

nice! what series is that?
    IRON MAIDEN

User Info Menu

I play Premier Genista , and I recommend them highly
    www.myspace.com/gozrock
    www.myspace.com/video/rid/110115140
    Mapex Meridian Maple
    22"x20"
    10"x7"
    12"x8"
    14"x12"
    16"x14"
    Mapex Black Panther Sledgehammer 14"x6.5

Sabian AAX Cymbals

In Support of Leighs Record attempt
    http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html

User Info Menu

Do any of you remember Premier H drum sticks? A drum solo adjudicator I had performed for when I was in high school urged me to use them. So, I did. As I recall, they were pretty good sticks for marching band and rudimental playing... had a nice balance and weight to them. Wow! I forgotten about those untill this Thread popped up...cool!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ironfist View Post
    I play Premier Genista , and I recommend them highly

No underskin? Nice set btw
    IRON MAIDEN

User Info Menu

Here's my lil ole APK kit.......
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    nice cymbals!! what paiste is that crash to the left?
    IRON MAIDEN

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    Norske
    I have the exact same kit, made in England serial number00062, i'm new to drumming and didn't know anything about it, it's at my Dads in the spare room as he played drums years ago and wants to take it up again plus don't i have room for 2 kits at home, are they worth much? i was told a few weeks ago old premier kits made in england are supposed to be pretty good.
    Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

I've attached a few live shots before I started restoring them... Nevermind the Mapex sticker. That head was on a Mapex kit before I sold it and put the original head back on. And the 10" tom is actually my 10x5.5 Mapex Black Panther snare.

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    I have an ancient Premier floor tom that was part of my old kit for a while as the result of a bad trade. No fault of the drum; it just didn't go with the Tama's very well. This thing has round-topped screws for tuning lugs.
    Got pics of it? What size? If it matches mine and you don't want it I might be interested in taking it off your hands.

Quote Originally Posted by kay-gee View Post
    That was a premier uniqueness I believe. Slotted tension screws you could tune with a coin. No key needed.

all the best...
    They are awesome for those times when there's no drum key to be found.
    You can get a key for them though. I believe Sonor has them too, maybe someone else as well.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by naikon View Post
    nice! what series is that?
    olympic... as i said; beginner kit...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by naikon View Post
    nice cymbals!! what paiste is that crash to the left?
    I believe the cymbals in the pics are a Paiste Alpha 18" Medium Crash, and a Paiste Signature 16" Full Crash. I only set them up with the kit for pics. I don't actually play this kit. I no longer own the Alpha, and with the exception of an Alpha 14" Fast Crash, all of my present cymbals are Sigs.

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Norske
    I have the exact same kit, made in England serial number00062, i'm new to drumming and didn't know anything about it, it's at my Dads in the spare room as he played drums years ago and wants to take it up again plus don't i have room for 2 kits at home, are they worth much? i was told a few weeks ago old premier kits made in england are supposed to be pretty good.
    Mark
    The nearest I can determine from the vintage Premier site and other sites is that it was one of the first APK kits to be manufactured, around October of 1984. I have messed with it a bit as far as tuning, and tried changing out the stock (original) Premier heads to coated Ambassadors, and it sounds good, but radically different from any of my other kits. That's probably because they used mahogany for these drums, and all my others have been either birch or maple.

Value? They're not really a big collectible to most people, so nothing special right now. Maybe in another 10 years?? Who knows. Even though I don't play it, I do enjoy having it, just because it reminds me a lot of my first kit from the 60's, which was a Premier.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    I've attached a few live shots before I started restoring them... Nevermind the Mapex sticker. That head was on a Mapex kit before I sold it and put the original head back on. And the 10" tom is actually my 10x5.5 Mapex Black Panther snare.
    Mike, what's the status of that restoration bud? I saw what you did to another kit....was it a Tama? - and you did an absolutely awesome job with those! I'd love to see those Premiers when you're done!

User Info Menu

The other kit was a super early 1990s, if not 1980s, Mapex Mars kit. All I did to my Tama Rockstars was tung oil the insides. Thanks for the compliment!
    As for the Premiers... I ran out of cash half way through. I think it'll work out well in the end though as I changed the direction I'm going with them. Since I have the VX to play I decided to take my time and have all the original hardware rechromed. It needs it badly. The hardware I bought for the "resto mod" will get used on another project down the road. I'm also going with a black pearloid finish (or whatever the appropriate version of that was for the time period). Right now I'm debating having the hardware done in black chrome. I think it would look great with the finish and add a little of my personality to it while still keeping it "original".
    I still need to find a replacement bass hoop, claws and tension rods for the second bass drum. I'd like to do that before refinishing the hardware, especially if I happen to find more matching drums in different sizes along the way.

User Info Menu

I found a snare that matches my kit on eBay last night. I'm debating it... the parallel action thing doesn't work and looks to be missing a few pieces. I hate that lousy throw off system...