Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Choosing Heads

User Info Menu

Default Choosing Heads

I have a Mapex M Birch 22" Rock Kit, and need help choosing new heads for it. I really like remo heads, and had some on my previous kit, and I need help choosing the right ones for my toms. I have come to the conclusion that I should use clear ambassadors on the reso side, but I don't know what to use for the batters. I would like a nice low, warm tone with fairly quick decay, and something that will last me. I've been thinking about the Pinstripes, and was wondering if anyone could help me out a little.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

Larrysperf Guest

Default Re: Choosing Heads

Sounds like a good choice, but I use Evans EC2 on all toms Aquarian superkick 11 on kick. and am just about to put EC2 on metel snare . Have Genera on Maple snare

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Chazbo View Post
    I have a Mapex M Birch 22" Rock Kit, and need help choosing new heads for it. I really like remo heads, and had some on my previous kit, and I need help choosing the right ones for my toms. I have come to the conclusion that I should use clear ambassadors on the reso side, but I don't know what to use for the batters. I would like a nice low, warm tone with fairly quick decay, and something that will last me. I've been thinking about the Pinstripes, and was wondering if anyone could help me out a little.
    Clear Ambassadors on the reso side is an excellent counterpart to clear or coated Ambassadors or Emperors on the batter side. The Pin Stripes are slightly heavier since they are a 2 - ply head. I have used them for several years before recently changing to coated ambassadors for my batters with clear diplomats for the resos. Your choice between Ambassador and Emperor batter will be determined by the decay that you are wanting and is why I suggested Emperors. Once you've decided which one, then you look at the difference between clear and coated. The coated will produce a slightly warmer sound than the clear will and is why you see so many jazz drummers using coated heads.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

If you want something with a controlled decay you should try the Ec2's like Larrysperf said. I use Weatherkings now but I like a slower decay. I might switch back for recording though. Nothing wrong with using Ambassadors on the bottom and Ec2's on the batter side. Anyway, good luck! I've gone through so many types of heads and finally settled with The remo clear double ply's. It's the only way to really know what you're looking for.

User Info Menu

...I really like remo heads...I would like a nice low, warm tone with fairly quick decay, and something that will last me... I've been thinking about the Pinstripes, and was wondering if anyone could help me out a little.

Based on what you wrote I'd highly recommend coated Emperors. They'll give you all the sound qualities you're looking for and they are durable because they are two ply like the pinstripes. Pinstripes will not give you warmth in my opinion. Besides you can add muffliing to the Emperors but you cannot take it away from the Pinstripes.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

My two cents, I'd stay away from the EC2's without hearing them on a kit first. They really mute the sound, and you have to want that. Had some on one older set, switched them to new Superstars and they killed the sound, so left the stock heads for now.

Time came to replace my older kit's heads and I went with Evans G2 Clears, but just put them on so I haven't played them yet. If you are going with Jazz the coated is a good way to go. For harder rock, pinstripes can be good. Had them on my Tama's for a long time.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

If you'll settle for Aquarian, Performance II heads are deep and they don't mark up two badly.

User Info Menu

I think you're looking for clear Remo Pinstripes.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    My two cents, I'd stay away from the EC2's without hearing them on a kit first. They really mute the sound, and you have to want that. Had some on one older set, switched them to new Superstars and they killed the sound, so left the stock heads for now.

Time came to replace my older kit's heads and I went with Evans G2 Clears, but just put them on so I haven't played them yet. If you are going with Jazz the coated is a good way to go. For harder rock, pinstripes can be good. Had them on my Tama's for a long time.
    Sorry, I'm not much of a tech guy and tend to forget the names of some brands/models. The Ec2's are the Evan heads with small thin metal strips along the underside of the head around the edge right? I had them on my Ludwig Maple Classic for a while and I wouldn't say they muted my drums at all. It was just more of a controlled sound to it without as much ring.

User Info Menu

Hard to go far wrong with pinstripes on a rock kit. Difficult to give any further information as it's such a personal thing. So much depends on your kit, how you tune it, exactly how you want it to sound, whether it's mic'd, how it's mic'd.....etc etc etc.

The only way I'm afraid is to try them.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyC; 01-07-2009 at 05:48 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfool5931 View Post
    Sorry, I'm not much of a tech guy and tend to forget the names of some brands/models. The Ec2's are the Evan heads with small thin metal strips along the underside of the head around the edge right? I had them on my Ludwig Maple Classic for a while and I wouldn't say they muted my drums at all. It was just more of a controlled sound to it without as much ring.
    Like anything it's personal taste. The EC2's worked really well on my son's old Tama Stagestar kit, but when we went to put them on his new Superstar HyperDrives they killed the sound. We immediately went right back to the stock heads. I'm guessing the StageStars shells weren't so hot (basswood I think) so the ring never sounded good. The Superstars are better drums so they sound better ringing out.

You are right about which are the EC2's, and yes it does control the sound, but it also matters how much control you want. I've found that good tuning and a moongel here or there does better because you have more control over the level of dampening. I found the EC2's dampen a lot, and you can't go back. That's why I didn't recommend them, there's risk in getting them in that you can't return them if it's too much.

Oh and by the way, EC2's on snare are definitely not the way to go IMHO. I tried on on my snare, as did my brother, and they were awful. The drum sounds like a tom unless you hit dead center and you lose that snare pop. I'm playing with a coated G2 and it's got much better attack and pop.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

I use Evans All around EC2s and Snare is Revers Dot (I do not have the issue as mentioned above). I want to try the Aquarians I hear they are pretty good too.

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfool5931 View Post
    Ditto NUFF SAID

User Info Menu

Well it's quite possible it's specific to the Superstar Hyperdrive's and/or the sound we like.

I know mkennedy had a similar experience to me.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Well it's quite possible it's specific to the Superstar Hyperdrive's and/or the sound we like.

I know mkennedy had a similar experience to me.
    I did indeed. Bought a new Gretsch Catalina Maple kit and fitted them with clear EC2's right out of the box instead of stock heads. Compared to the coated Emperors I replaced them with the difference is night and day! Now I love my kit. With the EC2's I was disappointed. Another thing, on my snare I had a EC Power Center Reverse Dot and the snare didn't sound like a snare no matter how I tuned it(and it's not my tuning skills, I tune really well). Replaced that with an Aquarian single ply Texture coated and WOW! Next time I buy heads for the toms, I'm going to give the Aquarian Super 2's a try. Phrogge told me they are like Emperors only better! And the Aquarian Superkick heads are well known for their awesomeness.
    Kits

Snares

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

MK,

After our discussion a while back I went with G2's and so far so good. I am hearing very good things about Aquarian heads, so next time I'm in the market, whenever that is, I'm definitely considering giving them a try.

I'm using an EMAD2 on my BD and the dampening is cool, but it doesn't project enough when I'm playing unmic'd particularly outdoors. Should I try the Superkick?
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

MK,

After our discussion a while back I went with G2's and so far so good. I am hearing very good things about Aquarian heads, so next time I'm in the market, whenever that is, I'm definitely considering giving them a try.

I'm using an EMAD2 on my BD and the dampening is cool, but it doesn't project enough when I'm playing unmic'd particularly outdoors. Should I try the Superkick?
    I gave an aquarian drum head a try once. It was the one that had some sort of "hydraulic liquid" in between the two plys. I wasn't efficient in tuning back then so they sounded pretty bad. I'd like to give those a go again though.

User Info Menu

MK,

I haven't been able to try the Superkicks myself Kaos. But EVERY SINGLE post I read about them is very favorable. Some say they're the best kick heads on the market. The Superkick I would be similar to a EMAD and the SK II would be similar to an EMAD 2.

Remember though the bottom line in all of this is that different heads work for different drums. If a head doesn't work on a certain drumset(see my experience with the EC2's) it doesn't mean it's a bad head. It simply means that those heads do not compliment the structure of those specific drum(s).
    Kits

Snares

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

how do the Remo Black Suede Emperor heads sound ? i already use coated heads and heard about these
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    how do the Remo Black Suede Emperor heads sound ? i already use coated heads and heard about these
    These caught my interest as well. Only thing that stopped me from buying them was they had neither 16" to complete my set. From what I can gather these are a variation of a coated head and tend to produce a softer, more vintage sound(which I love). Although I play rock I like my toms to sound jazzy. If anyone has given these a whirl be sure and let us know!
    Kits

Snares

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

theres no actuall pack of them but i checked last night and musicians friends and guitar center. com got all the sizes and im possitive remos site does hopefully cause the jazz toms sound really awesome
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

The black suede is not significantly different from the coated Ambassadors or Emperors. You can listen to it at the Remo web site. As for purchase, the stores I deal with tell me that these are special order only. I had thought about putting them on my Red Sparkles ...wouldn't that look cool? However, the more I thought about it, the more I realized that I wanted to retain the "Vintage" look in every aspect. I put on the coated Ambassadors.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Try the new G Plus heads by Evans. They have a translucent coat similar to (though thicker than) Evans EC2 heads, and they are 10 mil thick, but single ply. You get a nice blend of warmth and depth and you have the option of dampening. Plus the heavier gauge gives you durability. I love 'em.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

it depends on what sound you are hoping to achieve. I am a fan of the Superkick2 and Emad2, they give it more punch.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    I almost bought some the other day, but I wanted to try the clears first. I got exactly what I was looking for with the clears, but that doesn't mean I won't try the black suede next time. Either way, I got more resonance and a lower tone so I'm switching from pinstripes (which I still like).
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47