Thread: Bass and Snare

User Info Menu

Default Bass and Snare

Okay I have two tuning questions for you guys.

First My bass has to much sustain in it, so when i play double pedal or a fast single it kind of mushes the seperate strokes into one sound. I guess what i am looking for is any suggestions to shorten the sustain a little bit. I have a pillow in it already, maybe a bigger pillow?EDIT- I still have the stock head and no port hole.

Second The coat on the stock head of my snare just started chipping finally the other day, not alot has chipped off but since then my snare has started to have a tinny sound once the crack passes. Should i get a new head? or is there a way to tune out the tinny sustain?

I have an M birch kit.
    Last edited by Zeta; 01-07-2009 at 01:33 PM.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass and Snare

i would say get a new snare head i woul personally
    and for the bass do u have a muffling hole on the reso head ?
    if u do u dont have to take out the old pillow to add more sustain jus add like a towel and it should soun better i got to towels in mine and it sounds good
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    i would say get a new snare head i woul personally
    and for the bass do u have a muffling hole on the reso head ?
    if u do u dont have to take out the old pillow to add more sustain jus add like a towel and it should soun better i got to towels in mine and it sounds good
    no my bass reso does not have a port hole
    -Steven

User Info Menu

that might help it out when ur using mics it will be more punchier
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    that might help it out when ur using mics it will be more punchier
    what might help? putting in a port hole?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

yes
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9

User Info Menu

I recently started using an EMAD batter on my bass drum and I think it's very effective in taking out some sustain without losing your tone. Some people will also recommend a Superkick II batter head. I think either one will provide you with more of a controlled sound from your kick.

I don't know if you can tune out that tinniness....I use coated Ambassadors on my snare batters, and I have one that's losing the coating as well, but the sound really hasn't changed, at least not enough that I can tell. But I'm going to change the head anyhow. Since your problem seems to have started when the coating started to chip away, I think you should just change your snare head as well.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I want to change the batter head for my bass drum as well. In my room is sounds fine, but I took my kit to a rehearsal studio last week, and it was so boomy and actually sounded like an 808

So yeah, I need to get rid of that unwanted sustain somehow, to get a quicker decay, and more of a defined punch.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Chazbo View Post
    I want to change the batter head for my bass drum as well. In my room is sounds fine, but I took my kit to a rehearsal studio last week, and it was so boomy and actually sounded like an 808

So yeah, I need to get rid of that unwanted sustain somehow, to get a quicker decay, and more of a defined punch.
    thats exactly what i want, less BOOOOM more punch
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Yeah, I've been thinking about going for something like the Remo Powerstroke 3 (recommended by a friend). I'm not completely sure though, I just need to get rid of the boom. I mean, my bass drum sounds good in my room, but I can't use it at gigs like it is...someone will sound an air raid siren...
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by The Chazbo View Post
    Yeah, I've been thinking about going for something like the Remo Powerstroke 3 (recommended by a friend). I'm not completely sure though, I just need to get rid of the boom. I mean, my bass drum sounds good in my room, but I can't use it at gigs like it is...someone will sound an air raid siren...
    Yeah i dont gig right now so i am more just annoyed with the fact that my bass is to sustained for me to really learn the double pedal, although it sounds good when i play funk punk and rock ect...., but terrible for jazz and to boomy for metal (haha that sounds so wrong but its true, you need a controlled bass for metal)
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I know, I'm trying to hone my double pedal technique at the moment, and you really do need a tight controlled sound. I've been working on it all at home, then when I got to rehearsal the other day, it sounded so bad with all the boom. I'm uite friendly with the guy at my local drum shop though, so I'm sure he can help me with it as well

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    Yeah i dont gig right now so i am more just annoyed with the fact that my bass is to sustained for me to really learn the double pedal, although it sounds good when i play funk punk and rock ect...., but terrible for jazz and to boomy for metal (haha that sounds so wrong but its true, you need a controlled bass for metal)
    Put a port hole in your reso and a bigger pillow.

User Info Menu

Aquarian Superkick II batter with a kick pad and an Aquarian Regulator ported reso should solve your problem. Great butt kicking punch with my set up(17.5X22)and with no need of putting bedding inside your bass drum as well. If you have access to a drum dial tuner, set batter at 70, and reso to 75. See how that sounds to you and adjust accordingly.

SK
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Could be your batter head is too loose and youre not getting the correct response from the beaters .

As far as the snare , the temperature will change the sound , dont think its the chipping of the coating on your head.

I got the Drum Dial tuner for X-Mas and swear by it . I always tuned by ear , this thing is so quick its un-believable . Good luck.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Could be your batter head is too loose and youre not getting the correct response from the beaters .

As far as the snare , the temperature will change the sound , dont think its the chipping of the coating on your head.

I got the Drum Dial tuner for X-Mas and swear by it . I always tuned by ear , this thing is so quick its un-believable . Good luck.
    I will try out the batter of the bass, i did not think of that.

and the snare has been in my basement for a few months now, and we have heating so the temperature barely bends, i may try tuning it for a while longer if that does not work then its a good excuse to buy myself one of them evans HD genera dry
    -Steven

User Info Menu

ok i've skipped most of the posts here becuase i'm on limited time

first - snare - replace the head if you want - but you might find tweaking the reso/snare side head will have an impact to ensure that the sound quality isn't effected too much when the coating starts to wear off - to be honest it shouldn't have a major impact untill it's really worn down and barely there

second - kick - two things, first get or cut a port hole in the reso head - easiest and best way to get rid of the resonance and accentuate the punch and attacke of the kick. Second, muffling, pillows and blankets are a bit of a norm, but also kill the actual sound and tone of the kick. The better option is a good quality batter head, like an EMAD or IMHO the Remo Powersonic 3 - it has built in dampening rings to help kill overtones and resonance, and also has a snap-on external dampener for when you need that extra muffling, without effecting the actual tone and sound of the kick like a blanket/pillow will. Seriously check out a remo powersonic 3 - it's about the only kick head out there like from what i can tell. I still haven't seen anyone else make something quite like this thing. Go to the remo website to have a good look at it.

Another trick is to put something (like a wall) on the reso side of the kick. If your not sure about what I mean, go to a drum store and they will usually have a demo kick setup with a nEMAD head on it (it something that Evans like to get them to do i think) - nayways when you try it out it has heaps of punch, barely any resonance - this is because on the reso side it is up agianst a solid wall - this basically kills the resonance sound so all you really hear is the attack. Sounds good and for on your home no probs, but obviously has no practical use for playing live. They do it to make the head sound as best as it can.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

correction according to the website its the powerstroke, not powersnoic - that's the tom heads.....
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    ok i've skipped most of the posts here becuase i'm on limited time

first - snare - replace the head if you want - but you might find tweaking the reso/snare side head will have an impact to ensure that the sound quality isn't effected too much when the coating starts to wear off - to be honest it shouldn't have a major impact untill it's really worn down and barely there

second - kick - two things, first get or cut a port hole in the reso head - easiest and best way to get rid of the resonance and accentuate the punch and attacke of the kick. Second, muffling, pillows and blankets are a bit of a norm, but also kill the actual sound and tone of the kick. The better option is a good quality batter head, like an EMAD or IMHO the Remo Powersonic 3 - it has built in dampening rings to help kill overtones and resonance, and also has a snap-on external dampener for when you need that extra muffling, without effecting the actual tone and sound of the kick like a blanket/pillow will. Seriously check out a remo powersonic 3 - it's about the only kick head out there like from what i can tell. I still haven't seen anyone else make something quite like this thing. Go to the remo website to have a good look at it.

Another trick is to put something (like a wall) on the reso side of the kick. If your not sure about what I mean, go to a drum store and they will usually have a demo kick setup with a nEMAD head on it (it something that Evans like to get them to do i think) - nayways when you try it out it has heaps of punch, barely any resonance - this is because on the reso side it is up agianst a solid wall - this basically kills the resonance sound so all you really hear is the attack. Sounds good and for on your home no probs, but obviously has no practical use for playing live. They do it to make the head sound as best as it can.
    i acutally turned my bass towards the wall for space reasons and found that it helped, i have always been an evans for the bass but i will probably check out the powerstroke3 and see where i decide to go from there.

as for the snare, i think that tuning the snare side will probably be my choice as of now because the batter head is still good, i just connected the time of change with the physical change haha

thank you this is what i needed
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Bass:
    Aquarian Regulator with 4" offset hole (has a muffling ring built in) on the reson side
    Aquarian SK1 or SK2 (more built in muffling) or Remo PS3 on the batter side.
    I don't know if you have one already or not but I find the beater impact pads help a bit too. I use the Remo version.
    All that should get you tons more definition from the bass. I've got the same heads you do (factory) and just doign the SK1 with the impact pad made a HUGE difference. I do have a 20" kick though, which helps with getting more punch.

Snare:
    Grab some new heads (both sides). I'd make recommendations but I'm in the middle of trying out a ton of heads myself so my mind is constantly changing.
    You could play with the snare wires too, but I'm of no help there. I use the stockers.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

what they said