Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: A sad day at Drum Chat

User Info Menu

Default A sad day at Drum Chat

Roaddebris was banned today. He had been pushing the envelope for a very long time. Some of the mods started by talking to him through PM's. We asked him to cool it, to use diplomacy and to not get nasty. He continued to push the envelope. In some strange way it seemed like he wanted to get banned. Or perhaps he thought we wouldn't because he was so popular here. As a matter of fact that is why he wasn't banned long before now. Admittingly, he was a friend and I liked him a lot so I put up with more from him than I do others. That said, I absolutely will not be mocked by this guy in front of the entire forum. He did the same thing to Pastor Bob. And, it is my job to enforce respect here at this forum. Roaddebris had enough rope to hang himself. Today was the final straw.

I was warned by one of the members that's close to him that there will be consequences for this action. Yes, in fact I'm sure there will be. Like in any forum, when a popular member gets banned, a lot of other members get mad and leave. We are aware that some of you may not like this but only ask that you please try and understand where we're coming from. RESPECT is what this forum is about. The minute it's compromised and we let people talk nasty, then it's like a virus that spreads. It must be obvious by now that we let "a lot" go. That's because we try not to be overly judgemental here and try to let people have fun a bit. But there is a line in the sand and RD stepped over it so many times it isn't even funny. At the point that he mocks the administration here, that's the point where enough is enough.

Anyone that's been here awhile knows that we don't ban easily. We are very tolerant and try to talk to people first through PM's. That said, the only way you keep a forum civil is having mods do their job. Not everyone will agree with everything we do but please trust that we're doing the best we can. This job ain't easy. Today is a sad day for me.

User Info Menu

Default Re: A sad day at Drum Chat

While it's unfortunate when anyone who contributes meaningfully gets banned there is a difference between being funny and being nasty. There is a difference between free speech and intentionally hurtful speech.

A huge downside to the internet is the ability to mouth off at people without much consequence. People frequently say things they may or may not say in person.

Tom, I understand the difficulty in the situation (I'm on a Knicks forum and it gets much uglier than this). When you allow people to personally attack each other and/or cross the line forums get out of control and it can get very, very ugly. Personally I never had a run in with RD, but I could definitely sense some "tension" in his posts that made them uncomfortable at times. This isn't about being wimpy, it's about respect, and I applaud the work you are doing at keeping this a respectful place to post.

Jesse
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Thank you Jesse. I needed that.

User Info Menu

Hey Drummer,

Yeah, I made a couple of posts today at work, and when I saw what was going on I was hoping to get a chance to PM him myself.....just as maybe, I dunno, another voice of reason. Not that I know RD that well personally, but I hate seeing him go too. He made many very funny posts, and some very informative ones as well. But I also saw him pushing the envelope many times recently.

But you have kept your focus on the right thing - RESPECT. It's important that we as forum members respect the Mods, and also important that they respect us. It works both ways, and I have not seen any Mod here act out of spite or get out of line with a member in public. Going the PM route spares a lot of hard feelings, but sometimes things reach a point where you just can't take things back.

Tough call, but you did what you had to do.

I came to this forum from a blowup at another one, though in that case the Admin was attacking a very good friend of mine ON THE FORUM. It was a personal attack, and that didn't set well with a lot of people, some of whom have also joined DC since then. In fact, when two Mods were trying to mediate it, they were booted! It happens. No matter how hard you try to prevent it, sometimes there just isn't anything you can do about it. You cannot please everyone.

Some may choose to leave, and of course that's their prerogative. But I have to tell you that this is still the best forum that I've had the pleasure to be a part of, and it's growing like crazy lately for very good reason. You are a big part of that reason.

Hang in there bud. It will pass.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Well, I will miss him. He has never attacked me, but he did get a little close to people's space. I am sorry this happened. I will never leave here. Kind of sad now.

User Info Menu

hmm, That is very unfortunate, I like that guy, however im sure he recieved fair warning/s as you previously mentioned drummer, hopefully he will be back some day. All the best and keep up the fair and good work drummer admin and the mods, My hats off to you guy's.

Official cowbell hater.

Larrysperf Guest

Sad but you do what you gotta doNUFF SAID

User Info Menu

Yes, it's a sad day indeed. I love this site, as I’m sure everyone does so it’s even more disheartening to see a long time member go. I really enjoyed RD's posts and was personally never offended by any of them but, then again, it does take a lot to offend me. RD is a good friend and will continue to be, it’s just a shame he won’t be here any longer. For every 1 person RD may have offended he made 10 others laugh their butts off and enjoy their time here. To be honest, if anyone should have been offended by him it’s me, he did absolutely love to bash me on a regular basis LOL but that never bothered me because he was fun to joke around with and would always come up with the best comebacks! LOL RD will always be here in spirit and I hope he will be allowed back some day….. Normally I would be the one that would be making a big stink about a popular member’s banmation (not a real word, I made it up LOL) but I’m not going to do that because I am a moderator and suppose to set the standard. What it really comes down to is this, su_admin, drummer, owners, etc. are the bosses and whomever they choose to ban is their prerogative. I may not agree with their decision, however, it’s not my job to try and talk them out of what they feel is best for the forum, I’m only here to moderate the threads. I may not be the best Drum Chat moderator, especially when it comes to asking people to “not say this” or “you can’t say that” and I may not agree with everything regarding this forum but I do try my best to be supportive to the other mods and admin. Above all I am thankful that this site exists, and will continue to support the “powers that be”…… I also wanted to add I, too, am a member of a few other forums and this forum far outshines all others and I’m glad I’m a part of it.

RD, if you’re watching, I tried to fight for you dude but lost We’re gonna miss you buddy. Take care and don’t be a stranger, you have my e-mail! Luv ya, you big jerk

User Info Menu

It's sad to see RD go, I never really talked to him much but he still seemed like a cool guy. But you made a good choice Drummer, and I support you all the way.

I love this forum!
    -Fred

User Info Menu

I guess I missed all the hoopla.

Sorry to see him or anyone go in most cases. There are a few others on other forums I'd like to see take off for good. Do you admins have any pull elsewhere?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I guess I missed all the hoopla.

Sorry to see him or anyone go in most cases. There are a few others on other forums I'd like to see take off for good. Do you admins have any pull elsewhere?
    Fred will be a good boy Bish, he swears!!

User Info Menu

This isn't the first time I've seen a popular member of a forum banned. It happened on a guitar forum that I frequent, and after that happened there was a dead period on the board, but things eventually came back around, and I suspect that popular member is participating again under another user name. It is sad to see anyone banned from a group like this, and I missed the posts that caused it, I'm sure the mods had their reasons, and I won't second guess their decision. We will miss RDs participation, and I hope that at some point he is allowed back.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Roaddebris was banned today. He had been pushing the envelope for a very long time. Some of the mods started by talking to him through PM's. We asked him to cool it, to use diplomacy and to not get nasty. He continued to push the envelope. In some strange way it seemed like he wanted to get banned. Or perhaps he thought we wouldn't because he was so popular here. As a matter of fact that is why he wasn't banned long before now. Admittingly, he was a friend and I liked him a lot so I put up with more from him than I do others. That said, I absolutely will not be mocked by this guy in front of the entire forum. He did the same thing to Pastor Bob. And, it is my job to enforce respect here at this forum. Roaddebris had enough rope to hang himself. Today was the final straw.

I was warned by one of the members that's close to him that there will be consequences for this action. Yes, in fact I'm sure there will be. Like in any forum, when a popular member gets banned, a lot of other members get mad and leave. We are aware that some of you may not like this but only ask that you please try and understand where we're coming from. RESPECT is what this forum is about. The minute it's compromised and we let people talk nasty, then it's like a virus that spreads. It must be obvious by now that we let "a lot" go. That's because we try not to be overly judgemental here and try to let people have fun a bit. But there is a line in the sand and RD stepped over it so many times it isn't even funny. At the point that he mocks the administration here, that's the point where enough is enough.

Anyone that's been here awhile knows that we don't ban easily. We are very tolerant and try to talk to people first through PM's. That said, the only way you keep a forum civil is having mods do their job. Not everyone will agree with everything we do but please trust that we're doing the best we can. This job ain't easy. Today is a sad day for me.
    ****HOLA como estas MI amigo DRUMMER (TOM) CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN minded DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) within GREAT WISDOM AWARE-NESS KNOWLEDGE **I really LIKED (RD) *I also Know that all you MODERATORS HAVE a very HARD GIG here ,As I always state that all of you CATS &CATRESS * really have a very cool open creative MIND **RD never did any thing to Me JUST showed me ALOT of RESPECT **I just think & feel that some CATS JUST did not realy understand HIS WIT*WISDOM within his HUMOR I LoveD it VERY CLEVER DRY AND ,you know that old saying WHEN some one is always Jokeing THAT JUST MEANS that ,(THAT)PERSON jusT REALLY LIKES the person or peersons their Jokeing with **I am going to miss THAT CAT
    he really had some cool creative Wisdom (KNOWLEDGE )I hope that he comes back **I am always going to be within this AMAZING BEYOND WORLDS RENOWNED DRUM CHAT FORUM PLACE JUST alot of VERY UNIQUE DISTINCT
    CREATIVE OPEN MINDED ARTIST HERE and I love to SHARE all My WISDOM
    KNOWLEDGE JOURNEYS **RD MISS You COOL CAT *** GRACIAS
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 01-09-2009 at 12:38 AM.

User Info Menu

I am not going anywhere...but he will be missed. Drummer, there isn't much you can do when someone has been given proper warnings. Don't beat yourself up over it, although I know it had to have been a tough decision. I wouldn't want your job, and the fact that you MODS do it so well here speaks volumes.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Sad indeed. I enjoyed RD's funny posts he's a real funny guy and knowledgeable too but you did what you had to do.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Cool Re: A sad day at Drum Chat

drummer, I feel sad that you had to do what you had to do--

but having been in a similar position for many years at my radio job, it had to be done. I had to call many of my friends and colleagues on the carpet for stepping over that line in the sand. I didn't like doing it, but sometimes you have to say "enough is enough."

IMHO, we should have done it much sooner. Having said that, however, you did the right thing, and the only thing you should be beatin' up on is your drums. You're a class act, and you're one of the reasons DrumChat is my favorite forum of any kind!

And thanks for entrusting my fellow mods and me with what we do to help you...

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Cool Re: A sad day at Drum Chat

There Are Rules & Regulations And Guidlines To Everything We Do.....Life Is About Choices.....The Supreme Court Of The United States Said It Best When Making A Decision About Larry Flint(Publisher Of "Hustler),,,,,"Unfortunatley,there Is No Law Against Bad Taste...." RD, SORRY TO SEEYA GO BUD",,,,I LUBS DIS PLACE & ITS MEMBERS AND WILL DO ALL I CAN TO MAINTAIN MY
    LOW STANDARDS!!!!!(HAHAHAHAHAHA....YA'LL KNOW I'M KIDDING) THXS TO ADMN AND DA MODS FOR ALL THEIR HARD WORK,,,,IT KEEPS US DA BEST PLACE ON DA WEB ABOUT ALL THINGS THAT THUMP NITE AND DAY....IN EVERY WAY SHAPE AND FORM
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I will miss him also. He could be a bit of a doofus sometimes with the things he would say and irritate me but hey! I never doubted his good intentions. One thing I have learned about humour...Sometimes it works and sometimes it bombs.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I would like to Apoligize to everyone here. Rd was a cool guy to chat with and made me luagh at times to the point I thought I was gonna have a heart attack or My head would explode. I know how you feel drummer. I was a Moderater on Dark Space for 2 years. There was times I was forced to kick freinds out of chat or out of game due to immature actions. I paid a steep price to.

When I seen the post I was shocked that they had not been edited out. I thought maybe a Mod had overlooked them by mistake or somthing of that nature. I thought something had to be said someone had to let him know this is not the proper place to voice a personal opinion of such negative language.

I am going to close by saying this. I hope everyone takes it to heart when ever they post.

"It takes years to build up a good reputation as place to come and enjoy yourself and only a few minutes to destroy It"

User Info Menu

Beasty, it's not so much that he did it, because we can all have bad days. It's more a matter of when he was made aware of it, he chose not to apologize, or change his behavior. I liked RD, and still do, but on occasion he went a little overboard. Usually he found his way back, but this time he chose not to do so. I think it's sad for us all, but in the end, it was his choice.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

drummer , I feel for ya bro, always a real tough decision to make .

RD's bark was always worse than his bite , I never was offended or dissed by him , and will miss him .

RD , if youre logged off and reading the thread , best of luck to you and the boys .

User Info Menu

Funny guy, but a little too much some times. I wish we got to see more of his professional opinions and advice on music and drums more than every other issue under the sun.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    drummer , I feel for ya bro, always a real tough decision to make .

RD's bark was always worse than his bite , I never was offended or dissed by him , and will miss him .

RD , if youre logged off and reading the thread , best of luck to you and the boys .
    I can second that GF! Also, don't forget that others have been banned, and have contacted Drummer with new understanding. If anything, Drummer is a kind hearted man.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I sent him a PM and he seemed apologetic enough, he stated he was aware he was pushing the line and would tone it down a bit. Seems RD may have been pushing the line much longer then I have noticed in the last month or so. He and I seemed to hit it off so I simply asked him what was up with his recent posts... All and all, tough decisions require calm cool collected leadership, I think Drummer made the right call given the full spectrum of events over time.

Is he banned indefinitely or is he in a black out period?

User Info Menu

Shame. We were really beginning to hit it off!
    He was an interesting member of this community. The only problem is he inspired the rest of us to go a little too far as well...and some of us might not have done it as 'elegantly' as him, or as frequently. Or we might have thought it was acceptable to say something out of context. I know I toed the line this week with a stupid comment, and I'm not blaming RD for it, but he certainly changed the way I acted towards this forum, a little more laid back, a little cooler about it.
    It's a shame he pushed the envelope too much though. I'm going to miss that strange, wonderfully funny man.
    All the best...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...