Thread: Mesh vs Rubber / Noise vs Real Feel

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Mesh vs Rubber / Noise vs Real Feel

Hi All...
    Simple question :O)
    I wanna buy eDrum kit.
    It's down to Yamaha DTXExpress IV(rubber) or Roland TD9-KX(mesh).
    Now I know that Mesh pads are much better for the real feel, but..
    how noisy are they... doesn't that compleetly beat the purpose of silent eDrum kit ? Culd I play them in the middle of the night in appartmen building ?

thanx for tips

User Info Menu

Default Re: Mesh vs Rubber / Noise vs Real Feel

Correct me if im wrong ( which i could be ) but rubber pads make more noise than Mesh pads .
    I remember listening to a comparison on youtube some days ago , and mesh was better noise-wise.
    Try to youTube it yourself .

Ps: Iv'e been told by the e-drum experts here , that the td12 is WAY better than the td9 , so if money isnt a big issue , i would reccomend saving a bit more(i think its 800 bucks ?) to get the td-12 ( at least thats what im doing :P )

Cheers

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumchat. I play e drums and can tell you the mesh heads make less noise than rubber,feel much better, tension can be adjusted and the set will hold it's value better than a rubber pad set. Hope this helps. And just my 2 cents on buying e drums take a serious look at a nice used TD12 set before you buy the TD9.

User Info Menu

I agree with the what is being said above.

Here is some food for thought.

So first let me tell you a little about my history with electronic kits.

My first E Kit was a Roland TD-10 kit. I loved it. I brought it home from the store, set it up and played it. I never had an issue.

Money got tight and I ended up selling it.

When money go better I decided to get another E Kit. I did a lot of homework and decided on the Hart Dynamics 6.4 and Roland TD-8 brain.

The Hart kits are built like a tank and the racks are great. But the down side was I had to configure the brain for the kit. Unlike when you buy a complete Roland, or any other complete kit, YAMAHA etc. . I placed many calls to Hart, their tech support is great. I also had to call Roland a few times. Their tech support is great as well. After literally months of tweaking off and on I never did get the kit to trigger as well as my previous Roland kit did right out of the box.

I finally got to the point where I decided I just wanted to play the drums not tweak them all the time and never be satisfied with them. I [put them on ebay and sold them.

I went out and picked up the TD-20 kit and have not regretted it at all.

So my advice is to get a kit that where everything is made by the same company.

I love the TD-20 kit, my only complaint is that the hi-hats are not perfect yet, very close though and I am used to them so I have no trouble playing them.

Here is my take on the subject over all:

First E drums are one of the best tools ever for practicing. They have a built in metronome and play along patterns. One of the things I discovered was that when I practice on an acoustic kit I know people can hear me. This tends to make me want to “entertain”. I tend to play solos and grooves that I know sound good. I tend not to practice repetitive patterns that I need to in order to improve my playing.

I find for me this goes away with the E Drums, I know nobody can hear me. I practice a lot more and my practicing is a lot more productive.

As far as the kits themselves,

Pads:

Try to go with mesh heads; they will not harm your hands, wrists and arms. The thin rubber pads will. Here is what happens, when the pads are to thin they do not completely absorb the impact when you hit them. Some of that impact is absorbed by your body.
    If you have to go with rubber pads you need the thick ones.

I personally tune mine down so they feel like an acoustic drum. I find most E kits are tuned to tight and feel like a tennis racket.

Brains:

For strictly practicing, almost any of them out there will do the job. So if you are only going to be practicing then I suggest you find one that has sounds you like in a price range you can handle.

On the other hand if you plan on getting into recording then the TD-20 is the only way to go. The reason is OUTPUTS.

All of the brains lower in the line have 1-stereo out and 1- mono out. This means if you record you have to have all of the drums on one or two tracks. This makes it very hard to get a decent drum sound in the mix.

The TD-20 has the standard Stereo and mono out plus individual outputs designed with recording in mind.

You get:

Kick – Mono
    Snare – Mono
    Hi-Hat – Mono
    Ride – Mono
    Toms – Stereo
    Crashes – Stereo

This means you can have individual tracks to mix as you would when you record an acoustic kit.

Also take a look on my web site. If it does not say it is a live recording it was done on the Td-20.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

"Culd I play them in the middle of the night in appartmen building ?"

A lot depends on what floor you live on and the construction of your building. Keep in mind that many edrummers that experience problems with neighbors in apartment buildings, usually state it has more to do with the kick pedal impact thru the floor, than actually striking the drum (rubber or mesh). I've played on both and the rubber has always been louder in my case. Good luck with it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ABCgang View Post
    "Culd I play them in the middle of the night in appartmen building ?"

A lot depends on what floor you live on and the construction of your building. Keep in mind that many edrummers that experience problems with neighbors in apartment buildings, usually state it has more to do with the kick pedal impact thru the floor, than actually striking the drum (rubber or mesh). I've played on both and the rubber has always been louder in my case. Good luck with it.
    BINGO!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Rmandelbaum has made a great thorough post.
    Correct me if I am wrong. On the TD-10/12 modules you have 2 direct outs on your "output" which can be used for additional rec outs (isolation)of your choice.
    Lastly go to a music store and check out the kits.Once you play on the mesh heads well

User Info Menu

"On the other hand if you plan on getting into recording then the TD-20 is the only way to go. The reason is OUTPUTS. All of the brains lower in the line have 1-stereo out and 1- mono out. This means if you record you have to have all of the drums on one or two tracks. This makes it very hard to get a decent drum sound in the mix. The TD-20 has the standard Stereo and mono out plus individual outputs designed with recording in mind. This means you can have individual tracks to mix as you would when you record an acoustic kit."

Nothing wrong with the Roland line of products (other than price), but the Yamaha DTXtreme, DTXtreme II and DTXtreme III modules also have 6 dedicated outputs for direct recording. JMO, but the Yamaha module/cymbal and Pintech drum combination is a less expensive approach to owning e-drums. Especially, if you assemble your kit from used components (regardless if they are Roland, Yamaha, Hart, Pintech, Alesis, Simmons or DIY). Good luck with your journey. ABC

User Info Menu

My choice is narrowed to same as yours Pettt. For years I've been wanting to get back into playing. I have a nice kit road cased in the shed but it impacts too greatly on the household & neighbours. I've ignored e kits but a friend said 'you won't believe how good they are these days'. I went to the music store, played 3 or 4 kits & couldn't stop smiling! I really liked the sound of the TD9 & I loved the feel of the mesh pads. My budget is limited though & so my next favourite, the DTXpress IV may be the way I'll go.

A drummer friend said that after playing on mesh pads for a while it can be difficult to adjust back to an acoustic kit, can't even roll properly for a while. Anyone experience this?

I've seen a couple of second hand TD12's sold for very reasonably prices recently, (before I was in the market), but nothing around at the moment. Does the TD12 have the same snare as the new TD9's? Taking note of the advice given here I may try to be patient & wait to see what td12's come along second hand.

User Info Menu

Mesh heads feel much more realistic, and are actually more quiet than rubber heads as they are softer.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I agree with the what is being said above.

Here is some food for thought.

So first let me tell you a little about my history with electronic kits.

My first E Kit was a Roland TD-10 kit. I loved it. I brought it home from the store, set it up and played it. I never had an issue.

Money got tight and I ended up selling it.

When money go better I decided to get another E Kit. I did a lot of homework and decided on the Hart Dynamics 6.4 and Roland TD-8 brain.

The Hart kits are built like a tank and the racks are great. But the down side was I had to configure the brain for the kit. Unlike when you buy a complete Roland, or any other complete kit, YAMAHA etc. . I placed many calls to Hart, their tech support is great. I also had to call Roland a few times. Their tech support is great as well. After literally months of tweaking off and on I never did get the kit to trigger as well as my previous Roland kit did right out of the box.

I finally got to the point where I decided I just wanted to play the drums not tweak them all the time and never be satisfied with them. I [put them on ebay and sold them.

I went out and picked up the TD-20 kit and have not regretted it at all.

So my advice is to get a kit that where everything is made by the same company.

I love the TD-20 kit, my only complaint is that the hi-hats are not perfect yet, very close though and I am used to them so I have no trouble playing them.

Here is my take on the subject over all:

First E drums are one of the best tools ever for practicing. They have a built in metronome and play along patterns. One of the things I discovered was that when I practice on an acoustic kit I know people can hear me. This tends to make me want to “entertain”. I tend to play solos and grooves that I know sound good. I tend not to practice repetitive patterns that I need to in order to improve my playing.

I find for me this goes away with the E Drums, I know nobody can hear me. I practice a lot more and my practicing is a lot more productive.

As far as the kits themselves,

Pads:

Try to go with mesh heads; they will not harm your hands, wrists and arms. The thin rubber pads will. Here is what happens, when the pads are to thin they do not completely absorb the impact when you hit them. Some of that impact is absorbed by your body.
    If you have to go with rubber pads you need the thick ones.

I personally tune mine down so they feel like an acoustic drum. I find most E kits are tuned to tight and feel like a tennis racket.

Brains:

For strictly practicing, almost any of them out there will do the job. So if you are only going to be practicing then I suggest you find one that has sounds you like in a price range you can handle.

On the other hand if you plan on getting into recording then the TD-20 is the only way to go. The reason is OUTPUTS.

All of the brains lower in the line have 1-stereo out and 1- mono out. This means if you record you have to have all of the drums on one or two tracks. This makes it very hard to get a decent drum sound in the mix.

The TD-20 has the standard Stereo and mono out plus individual outputs designed with recording in mind.

You get:

Kick – Mono
    Snare – Mono
    Hi-Hat – Mono
    Ride – Mono
    Toms – Stereo
    Crashes – Stereo

This means you can have individual tracks to mix as you would when you record an acoustic kit.

Also take a look on my web site. If it does not say it is a live recording it was done on the Td-20.
    Excellent response, bang on buddy.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Hi
    I have Roland td9 kx (mesh heads) and i can highly recommend them
    i can play at 4am with people living above me and i have not had any complaints and the mesh heads are unreal, they feel great, but when i went from playing the e kit for a few weeks it felt really weird playing my masters studio again, only bad thing bout td9kx is the bass drum head is rubber and the bounce back is not as realistic but its not to bad,
    anyway mesh heads all the way

User Info Menu

I would just say mesh, as they're so much quiter than rubber, plus, mesh pads don't look quite as dirty after a few months of (ab)use.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like to stick a drumstick up my nose while playing 64ths on double bass at 208.
    Epic Win.

User Info Menu

Definitely go with Mesh heads, rubber is a lot louder in my experience and i agree with what is said above, people tell me that they can hear my kick pedal on my drums over everything else.

Honestly I would go with a Pintech Drum Kit instead of a Roland or Yamaha.... i own a Pintech Kit and i would say it is every bit as good as the Roland and at about half of the price as the Roland...They are located in greenville,sc and all the stuff is US made as well...

That is just my two cents though ive always preferred Pintech over Roland...but everybody has their preference

Also i have to say also, as said above that depending on what floor you are on if you live in a apartment if you are not on the bottom floor, you might as well hang it up because you will probably be able to hear the kick no matter what, but mesh would be your quietest choice regardless.

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Mesh vs Rubber / Noise vs Real Feel

OK guys...
    Thank you for excellent "storm" of advices... :O)
    Nice TD-9KX is sitting in my living room... and my problems are now completely different...
    I'm total beginner, so its stuff like Rudiments, playAlongs, “why do I keep hitting the snare rim so often...?” and “should that drumstick be sliding back and forth in my palm…?”

so thank you again..
    Keep drumming

User Info Menu

Same here, new TD9KX, it's great. Going back to basics with practice but also playing along with stuff that's out of my league Why not, no one else can hear it!

User Info Menu

I've played both rubber and mesh head pads and neither make a whole lot of noise. I would be more concerned with the sounds the module produces when making my choice. What good would very quite mesh pads be if the drum sounds were crap , or the other way around?

User Info Menu

I am on the fence here. I can get a Yamaha dtxreme IIIs module for $1500 or a td-20K module for $1500, provided I buy a pintech or hart kit with it.

I have not played the latest DTX kits, but I have not yet been impressed by rubber pads. It's not just the feel but responsivness (at least with the rolands)

I was considering getting the Yamaha or Roland brain but with mesh pads.

The Yamaha has the advantage of sampling, and tune-on-the-fly pads. There is appearently an improvement in the III that allows for cymbal or tympani "swells" vs a staccato "machine gun" effect you get with others. It also has 15 vs 14 inputs on the roland.
    Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    All it takes is a commitment to your commitment.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Mesh vs Rubber / Noise vs Real Feel

I Prefer Mesh Heads Seem More Real...
    Rubber Seems Like Da Bounce Off A Tabletop
    Imo

BESIDES WHEN I WEAR RUBBER IT SQEAKS
    AND MESH IS MORE COMFY!!!!!
    HAHAHAHAHA
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I too am looking into an ekit in the near furure. I actually like the rubber pads better. No matter what tension I use, the mesh pads just don't feel right to me. The rubber pads are less like a real drum for sure, but for some reason the mesh ones just bother me in a major way.

User Info Menu

no durability issues thats for sure, just be careful your sticks dont bounce up and hit you in the eye while your playing
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Alleyoop View Post
    A drummer friend said that after playing on mesh pads for a while it can be difficult to adjust back to an acoustic kit, can't even roll properly for a while. Anyone experience this?
    That is the one gripe I have with playing on mesh...it does not feel like an acoustic kit. I play a roland td-10exp. kit (@ church) and also have a dtxtreme I mesh head kit at home. I prefer the Dtxtreme for feel because it uses a full foam pad underneath the head, which makes it feel a little closer to a real drum.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Scorch Whammin!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!