View Poll Results: Is Travis Barker one of those drumers who just hits as hard and as fast as he can?

Voters
26. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 26.92%
  • No

13 50.00%
  • Travis Barker isn't a drummer

6 23.08%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Does anyone else think.........

User Info Menu

Default Does anyone else think.........

Does anyone else think Travis Barker is just one of those drummers who just hits things as much and as hard as he can? I actualy can't make it through this whole clip - but it is a pretty good representation of what he does I think.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=lt3h1t0Rr00

I mean seriously? compared to the "drum-off" between Tony Royster Jnr and JoJo Mayer....... I don't even know what to do with this.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Does anyone else think.........

There's no question in my mind. I pointed this out in another thread. He has name recognition, and that's really all.

Obviously the jazz/prog rock guys are usually the best drummers, but there are numerous punk and metal drummers that just blow him out of the water. Chad Wackerman's younger brother, Brooks, who plays for Bad Religion now is a great example. Both recorded and live he's levels about Barker. I think the guy from Rise Against is better, same with the drummer from System of a Down.

The big thing with Barker to me is haven't really seem him do anything interesting, just loud and kind of fast. In that video, I don't him seeing anything that I can't do.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Travis Barker is a drummer, I didnt see or hear any dynamics but he is a fellow drummer.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

he's good, but not great. definitely overrated for what he can do.

Larrysperf Guest

His roots are from Marching and it comes threw but still is good just has a different style from most drummers. If we were all the same man it would get boring awfully fast. Nuff said

User Info Menu

He is also burned up pretty bad right now from his plane crash, hopefully he will get better and back to drumming. I can't say anything bad about Travis because he has made it in the drumming world a lot farther than I have so I give him full props. He might not be the most technical drummer, but he made it to the top with his style.

Most of his drumming is hard core just for show, but he does have a rudimental side to his drumming. Check out this vid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOfsr9D-KXU

User Info Menu

This kind of thread has a tendency to get nasty. Lets be careful to keep it respectful and remember that they he's our drum brother first and foremost (as Rat alluded to). That said, here's my opinion:

Travis Barker is a decent drummer. Is he Tony Royster Jr. or Dave Weckl. Of course not. But neither is 95% of the other famous drummers out there. The "awesome technique" drummers are in a class of their own. We tend to think that if you're as famous as Travis Barker, than we expect your chops to be that of JoJo Mayer. But that's a bit unfair to them. It probably wasn't his choice that he became so famous. It most likely just fell in his lap. He happened to be in a famous band, had a unique look, dated a beautiful girl, and had his own TV show. I'm more interested in whether or not he's a decent cat. Is he a nice guy? Does he treat others well? I couldn't tell you because I don't know him.

I too think he lacks in dynamics. He has a few chops... probably more than Ringo even, but he's not a soloist. I'm sure he knows that so I admire the fact that he just puts it out there and doesn't seem to worry about what people think.

User Info Menu

I would Say he was chosen to play with a Multi, Multi-Million record sales band who are famous pretty much world wide. If I'm remembering correctly, He joined them just after they had a massive hit album, when they could have pretty much picked anyone in the world. He must be doing something right.

Andy
    Last edited by AndyC; 01-18-2009 at 09:53 AM.

User Info Menu

No, there is a foundation and a style to what he is playing. Kudos to him and all other drummers out there

EDIT: I would also be quite amazed if anyone rates him as 'not a drummer'.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I think Travis is a decent drummer, but in his genre under playing while over exaggerating is expected.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by defcon235 View Post
    he's good, but not great. definitely overrated for what he can do.
    I agree, he is a good drummer. That's the point though...good. Sure, he's got speed, but speed isn't everything. I'm partial to the odd Blink-182 song as well But even so most of the stuff with them was fairly simple, just fast and overhit.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

You guys wanna know something very funny?

He's got to be the most talked about drummer, ever. If for no other reason, controversy about his value as a drummer.

He's got you all hooked...admit it!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Yes, he has me hooked. I have secret passions for Travis Barker
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Most of his drumming is hard core just for show, but he does have a rudimental side to his drumming. Check out this vid.
    ...basic drumline rudiments with some really freakin muddy doublestrokes. Tricks were neat though, he is definitely a showman, but his playing is mediocre at best. He works for the band he is in though, image is everything when you're getting spots on MTV.

User Info Menu

I totally agree with Drummer... not only that, he earns a living by doing what I love the most...I can't say that.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

ok, the third option was there as a joke - and i dare say the people who selected it chose it as such - obviously the guy is a drummer, and he and joey jordison combined account for about 90% of topic discussion among drummers it seems. Which yeah is kinda funny. The thing with this clip was I wasn't looking for him, I was looking for ?uestlove stuff, and then there he is supposedly in some sort of drum-off or whatever they call it - just bashing away......I just wanted to know what everyone else thought.

User Info Menu

Well, I like the things he plays within his group's music. I like some of there songs. I believe that any person playing their chosen instrument and having fun at it is a great musician. I also believe the word "great" to be very subjective. Looking at the who, what, when, where and why............I think the guy is great.

I'll actually compare myself to Travis!!

Travis: music played all over the world, tours the world, makes a ton of money to play drums, gets free gear, dates/marries beautiful women

Me (Tony): I think my wife is beautiful ............Travis pretty much has me on all the other points

I guess what I'm saying.............in my usual big nutshell is.... I think he's pretty great. Not a Peart or a Rich but, great none the less.
    A penny saved is a penny earned........but, what can you buy with a penny??

User Info Menu

Well I can say two things about him. First, I hope to someday be 1/2 the drummer he is. He's obviously worked hard at his trade and it shows, even if he is not as good as some of the others mentioned. Second, if you take all the drummers in all the world and lined them up according to ability (if this was not a subjective measure, that is) he'd probably be relatively close to the front of that line. Sure, some say he is overrated, but hey, I'd settle for just being rated.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

hes really creative. this guys made so many albums, and each song doesnt sound exactly the same drum wise. that already puts him above 90% of other drummers. is he the best? no way, not even close. but hes been drumming for a long time, hes versatile, creative, and yes, he hits his kit as hard as he can, but thats all for show. oh yeah, i forgot to mention, hes a great showman, if you dont respect his musical talent, atleast admire the fact that, hes just damn fun to watch.

User Info Menu

I was the first to respond, and my point is really Lager's point. It's mostly brand recognition. I don't begrudge the guy his career in any way shape or form. I can't blame the guy for making a living and being well known. Although I think some of the latter is intentional. He puts himself out as a celebrity, not all musicians do that. How many people outside drummers and musicians know who Mike Portnoy is?

His notoriety is more an indictment of the music business and the culture around music with teenagers. Style over substance.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Hmm.
    Creative drummer. His genre's all about power and aggression. He adds a lot of groove to it.
    Very fast. He does have a lot of movement around the kit.
    But, I dunno. There's something about him that makes him hard to take seriously.
    I don't have any strong feelings one way or the other about him.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

he's good at what he does. someone mentioned Brooks Wackerman for Bad Religion. I had a chance to record with him and he's on another level! Anyone that can make a living doing what they love has my vote!

User Info Menu

He plays what he needs to in order to keep his fans happy/entertained. Same thing with Joey Jordinson. Don't tell their fans where they fall in the grand scheme of drumming ability, because YOU will be wrong. They don't know anything about drums, and they don't care. Travis knows this. Joey knows this. They play for their fans and play off their popularity.
    Do I think they're bad drummers? No. I consider them drummers, just like the rest of us (even though it's secondary for JJ). They keep time, have fun and entertain people. I can't hate on them for that.

Quote Originally Posted by AndyC View Post
    I would Say he was chosen to play with a Multi, Multi-Million record sales band who are famous pretty much world wide. If I'm remembering correctly, He joined them just after they had a massive hit album, when they could have pretty much picked anyone in the world. He must be doing something right.

Andy
    If I remember correctly, he originally played for the Aquabats. Blink needed a drummer and picked him up.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

If I remember correctly, he originally played for the Aquabats. Blink needed a drummer and picked him up.
    U do remember correctly my friend. I guess personally, I have no problem with average/mediocre drummers making it a living, even earning heaps off it - happens everyday in fact with 90% of drummers in major bands. Personally I just get irked by the fan recognition of the "OMG!!! TB is SOOOOOO Good - he is like GOD of drums....." stuff. It really just hits a spot that is real sensitive in me for some reason. I think it is more that I KNOW there is better drummers out there - even within his chosen genre, but because the band are more famous than most, people assume he is better. The unknowing general populace of teeny boppers and basic fans, I don't expect any better from, but other drumming bretheren, I guess I do, so when i hear drummers sprouting it - I feel like slapping them upside the head and saying "Go buy a Rush album you half-wit, and stop supporting the joke that we only have 3 more brain cells than a horse"

User Info Menu

Yeh i think i agree with most others. Although hes better than me, i think in the grand scheme of things he isnt great. I think if you saw him doing his own practising and stuf he would be pretty good but alot of what he does is just to please crowds and stuff. In conclusion i dont like him (despite not really explaining anything. Meh) I think hes just terrible overrated and people need to talk about him less.