Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sabian Xs20's...WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK!?!?.!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian Xs20's...WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK!?!?.!

i had an xs20 16" medium thin crash that i absolutely loathed. i traded it in for some credit towards my 18" aax metal crash. i havent heard the rest of the cymbals in the line except for the ride, which i like. but the crashes leave much to be desired.
    1994 Pearl Export 5-Piece w/ Stock Heads
    22 x 16 Bass Drum
    12 x 9 and 13 x 10 Rack Toms
    16 x 16 Floor Tom
    5 x 14 Ludwig Aluminum Snare Drum

Cymbals

14" Zildjian ZBT Hi-Hats
    18" Zildjian ZBT Crash
    18" Sabian AAX Metal Crash
    18.5" Sabian Chad Smith Signature Explosion Crash
    20" Sabian B8 Ride
    10" Agazarian Splash

Percussion
    Pearl Primero Cowbell

User Info Menu

think for the money they cost they are the best you can get in that brakcet superior to any zbt zxt etc that zildjian knock out, but i agree the crashes seemed a bit dull and i have had all of them every type, 16/18 rock medium etc and the best one was the 16" rock crash, but i love the chinas i really do, think the xs20 chinas are easily on par with the top end sabian create, I use AA/AAX and have had a xs20 china sit in there perfectly.
    Music is everybody's possession. It's only publishers who think that people own it.

User Info Menu

for some weird reason, i actually prefer my zbt crash to my old xs20
    1994 Pearl Export 5-Piece w/ Stock Heads
    22 x 16 Bass Drum
    12 x 9 and 13 x 10 Rack Toms
    16 x 16 Floor Tom
    5 x 14 Ludwig Aluminum Snare Drum

Cymbals

14" Zildjian ZBT Hi-Hats
    18" Zildjian ZBT Crash
    18" Sabian AAX Metal Crash
    18.5" Sabian Chad Smith Signature Explosion Crash
    20" Sabian B8 Ride
    10" Agazarian Splash

Percussion
    Pearl Primero Cowbell

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabiandrummer1674 View Post
    for some weird reason, i actually prefer my zbt crash to my old xs20
    Nothing weird about that at all. We all have different tastes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sabiandrummer1674 View Post
    i had an xs20 16" medium thin crash that i absolutely loathed. i traded it in for some credit towards my 18" aax metal crash. i havent heard the rest of the cymbals in the line except for the ride, which i like. but the crashes leave much to be desired.
    It's kinda strange..The first run of these cymbals, crashes in particular were very muted and almost clangy sounding. I think Sabian may have improved the later runs of this series. The 16 and 18 medium crashes (newer) that I have played really sounded nice! And I am PICKY about my cymbals. They seemed to be more complex sounding and really opened up nicely.

I have a set of 14" medium hats that (to me) sounded nicer than the set of Zildjian NB that I played on a stand next to them!
    I have done a few pro recordings playing my XS20 hats and 10 splash and live or recorded, they are very nice pies!

Don't totally discount this series. You may have to play several to find a gem.
    ..which is generally the case when you are purchasing a cast bronze cymbal anyway.

-Les

User Info Menu

I used to have a Sabian AA 16" Medium-Thin Crash and an XS20 16" Medium-Thin Crash. I compared them in two very different settings, and all the other musicians said they were very similar. I really like the Hats. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumolator View Post
    I used to have a Sabian AA 16" Medium-Thin Crash and an XS20 16" Medium-Thin Crash. I compared them in two very different settings, and all the other musicians said they were very similar. I really like the Hats. Peace and goodwill.
    I agree. I like Sabian AA hats, too!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Sabians are my favorite hats. 13 in. Fusion, cut through anything, and 14 in. AA Regulars.
    Rick

Mapex Sabian Ludwig Saluda Assorted Snare Drums

User Info Menu

Well, I no longer have any XS20 cymbals because I took my 14" Hats to church for that drum set. I played them this morning, and they sounded great. Peace and goodwill.
    Mark Wellman - drummer for Jesus; Mapex MPX snare, Mapex Black Panther Venom snare, Mapex Saturn bass drum and toms / Sabian AAX, SR2/ Evans / LA Backbeat

Church Drummer's Army