Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sabian Xs20's...WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK!?!?.!

User Info Menu

Default Sabian Xs20's...WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK!?!?.!

i posted a thread a while back saying that i was going to get AAX os AA cymbals but i changed my mind. I have found these Xs20's and was wondering what others think...WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK?!?!.

(16/18" medium thin crash's, 14" medium hi-hats, 20" medium ride)

again these would go with my Gretsch Catalina Club MOD...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sabian Xs20's...WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK!?!?.!

I don't have these but I can tell you that I have seen them highly recommended lately cause I have been asking some cymbal questions and I got a lot of recommendations for them. You'll probably also be told by several people to go to the music store and try them out first to see if they have the sound your looking for. I would highly recommend this as well.

User Info Menu

i dont like the crashes. you would def. be happier with aa or aax. however i like the splash and 18" china.

User Info Menu

I have an XS20 ride and I really like it. They are pretty bright sounding, so if you are looking for a darker sound you might try a different cymbals. Older Zildjian's tend to be darker IMO, even the regular one's. Listening is always important.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

The XS20s are the next level up from B8 or B8 Pros, they have the same metal composite as most of the higher end cymbals. They are a good intermediate option, and a great choice for someone on a budget. I would definately go to a store, and actually listen to them before I purchased them or any other cymbal to find out if you liked the tone of them.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

CD, I see it the same way. Better quality metal, and they are cast instead of stamped. When I learned about them, I was really surprised at what a good value they are.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rsshortstack22 View Post
    i posted a thread a while back saying that i was going to get AAX os AA cymbals but i changed my mind. I have found these Xs20's and was wondering what others think...WELL, WHAT DO YOU THINK?!?!.

(16/18" medium thin crash's, 14" medium hi-hats, 20" medium ride)

again these would go with my Gretsch Catalina Club MOD...
    What do I think? I think that if you listen to them and you like them then that's all that matters. I ended up buying some new Paiste Alpha's even though I tried some higher end cymbals. I liked the character of the Alpha's.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    What do I think? I think that if you listen to them and you like them then that's all that matters. I ended up buying some new Paiste Alpha's even though I tried some higher end cymbals. I liked the character of the Alpha's.
    yes the alphas and xs20's are the same level and quality so it is all about yous preference of their sounds.

I have the crashes and they sound great, i prefer the 16 over the 18 of the two but they have different sounds so the 18 fits great where the 16 does not.
    My instructor has a pair of the hats, i think they sound excellent,the chick it distinct and they have the perfect wash, to me, but it depends on what you want to have for your sound.

and i hear the ride is beautiful but go to the stor and listen to them first. and then maybe mix and match brands and series' to get everything the way you want it.

as a side not i picked the xs20s over zildjian z customs because of the sound, and over sabian hand hammered crashes for the price.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Generally, I'd call the XS20's good all purpose cymbals for a drummer on a budget.
    Kits

Snares

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    yes the alphas and xs20's are the same level and quality so it is all about yous preference of their sounds.

I have the crashes and they sound great, i prefer the 16 over the 18 of the two but they have different sounds so the 18 fits great where the 16 does not.
    My instructor has a pair of the hats, i think they sound excellent,the chick it distinct and they have the perfect wash, to me, but it depends on what you want to have for your sound.

and i hear the ride is beautiful but go to the stor and listen to them first. and then maybe mix and match brands and series' to get everything the way you want it.

as a side not i picked the xs20s over zildjian z customs because of the sound, and over sabian hand hammered crashes for the price.
    Actually Zeta I chose the Alphas over Sabian AA's and Zildjian A's. I just liked their character more. I'm fully aware that they are B8 alloy but the workmanship that goes into them makes them pro level cymbals in my opinion.
    Kits

Snares

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Actually Zeta I chose the Alphas over Sabian AA's and Zildjian A's. I just liked their character more. I'm fully aware that they are B8 alloy but the workmanship that goes into them makes them pro level cymbals in my opinion.
    same reason i picked the xs20's, lol. and arent most paistes made of the "2002 aloy"? and isnt it b8? so if thats is true then the founders of paiste must have been practicing alchemy because i love the alphas too.

I guess what we are trying to say, is that you are looking for YOUR cymbals nobody can tell you the best ones but we sure as heck can give our opinions. that is why the music store is key, most of use have been told to look at the A customs and the HHX's but alot of us have found something that we love more then "the best of the best"

yes XS20s are great cymbals but that does not mean crap if you do not like the sound, there are so many cymbals for you to look at and listen to and research so go do that tol find what YOU like the best then ask us which ones will be the better quality and last the longest and so on and so forth
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    ...and arent most paistes made of the "2002 aloy"? and isnt it b8? so if thats is true then the founders of paiste must have been practicing alchemy because i love the alphas too....
    Paiste has a few alloys that they use.

PST 5/Alpha/2002/Giant Beat are all made with 2002 alloy(or B8 bronze)

Paiste Signatures and Traditionals are made with Signature Alloys which is presumed to be somewhere around B15.

Paiste Twenty's as the name implies are B20 bronze like Zildjian and Sabian cast cymbals.
    Kits

Snares

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Paiste has a few alloys that they use.

PST 5/Alpha/2002/Giant Beat are all made with 2002 alloy(or B8 bronze)

Paiste Signatures and Traditionals are made with Signature Alloys which is presumed to be somewhere around B15.

Paiste Twenty's as the name implies are B20 bronze like Zildjian and Sabian cast cymbals.
    thanks for clarifying that.so paiste does know their bronze because alphas and 2002's are incredible, and i havent been lucky enough to try the b15 and b20's by them
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I know the purpose of the XS20 line is to get the better bronze at a lower price because of the stamping process, but I do prefer the sound to most of the "nicer" cymbals out there. I wish there was more variety to choose from in this line.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Better quality metal, ...
    that is not true. b8 cymbals are not inferior to b20 cymbals. they just sound different. b8 bronze is cheaper and used for budget lines because it has less tin in it which makes it cheaper and therefore more affordable for beginners - tin is actually really expensive!
    the paiste 2oo2 series is made out of b8 and no one here would doubt that they weren't pro cymbals. meinl makes the mb8 series which are pro b8 cymbals as well etc...

User Info Menu

oops sorry. didn't read the whole thread... someone already said what i did... my bad.

User Info Menu

I just traded my B8s for XS20s

These are all I need........ hobbyist/bassist
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jack's_art View Post
    that is not true. b8 cymbals are not inferior to b20 cymbals. they just sound different. b8 bronze is cheaper and used for budget lines because it has less tin in it which makes it cheaper and therefore more affordable for beginners - tin is actually really expensive!
    the paiste 2oo2 series is made out of b8 and no one here would doubt that they weren't pro cymbals. meinl makes the mb8 series which are pro b8 cymbals as well etc...
    Close,
    B8's have 8% tin, B20 has 20%. Its not done for price in raw materials its done for workabilty. B20 is very ridgid and stiff and its very hard to stamp, so it has to be cast. B8 is softer and can be stamped. The cost savings isnt in the material its in the labour cost.
    Last edited by Northern Redneck; 02-08-2009 at 02:25 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    I have an XS20 ride and I really like it. They are pretty bright sounding, so if you are looking for a darker sound you might try a different cymbals. Older Zildjian's tend to be darker IMO, even the regular one's. Listening is always important.
    I have XS20 14" hats..if you close your eyes, they sound alot like Zildjian New beats. I also have a 10" XS20 splash that is very nice! Great line of cymbals at a great price. I actually like them better than the sheet bronze Paiste Alphas! -Les I find them to sound close to Zildjian Avedis series cymbals with a tinch more shimmer.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    I find them to sound close to Zildjian Avedis series cymbals with a tinch more shimmer.
    Yep i paired the 16 and 18 inch crashes because they sounded great with my avedis 20" medium ride.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I was in GC today testing out cymbals that I plan to buy this weekend. I mainly stuck with sabian and kept getting drawn back to the xs20. I definatly liked the sound better than the AAX and HHX, but couldn't decide between the xs20 and AA. The AA crashes seem to have more mids and sound a bit louder when played side by side, I am still very impressed overall with the quality and sound of the xs20, especially the hats and china. The hats have a very nice sizzle to them, if that's what you like.

Unless I find a better sound by this weekend, I plan to pick up the whole xs20 prepack. It includes 14" hats, 16" and 18" medium-thin crash, 20" ride, 18" china and a 10" splash. Also there is a rebate for a free 12" splash. It also includes a very nice hard case for all of them. I don't think I can beat the price or sound.

I was actually going down there to test out Paiste Alpha series, and RUDE series, but that didn't happen after hearing the xs20's.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by campbellj25 View Post
    I was actually going down there to test out Paiste Alpha series, and RUDE series, but that didn't happen after hearing the xs20's.
    Funny..I really liked the Alphas as well..until I heard the XS20s! -Les

User Info Menu

I actually went from XS20s to Alphas and I'm glad I made the switch. It just goes to show that beauty is in the ear of the beholder!
    Kits

Snares

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

I actually went from XS20s to Alphas and I'm glad I made the switch. It just goes to show that beauty is in the ear of the beholder!
    Ha! true there... For me the sheet bronze (Paiste) is too high pitched and lacks the warmth and complexity I look for in choosing a cymbal. They are great loud and cutting. I found the XS20s in my budget and the closest to the Avedis sound that I could find. My 14" XS20 hats are reminiscent of Zildjian new beats..and I got them used for $60!!! Same with my XS20 10" splash..shimmers and cuts like an A custom.. Great sounding cymbal!
    You are right though..Beauty is in fact. in the ear of the beholder. -Les
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 02-11-2009 at 08:11 AM.

User Info Menu

Cool Les. 99% of the people out in the audience don't know the difference anyways!
    Kits

Snares

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash