Thread: Practice Routine

User Info Menu

Default Practice Routine

Hello everyone. I'm new here. After an 18 year sojourn, I just got back into playing (played in junior high and high school). I just picked up a Sonor 3007 and am trying to develop a practice routine of my own, but there are so many things I feel I need to practice that it's hard for me to find a set routine to adhere to. I'm hoping that by seeing what other's do I'll pick up some ideas of my own. Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Practice Routine

Quote Originally Posted by F0NZ View Post
    Hello everyone. I'm new here. After an 18 year sojourn, I just got back into playing (played in junior high and high school). I just picked up a Sonor 3007 and am trying to develop a practice routine of my own, but there are so many things I feel I need to practice that it's hard for me to find a set routine to adhere to. I'm hoping that by seeing what other's do I'll pick up some ideas of my own. Thanks!
    Hey Welcome to the forum

Do you mean along the line of like strecthing out your wrists becuase I do that before I play or to get you self in the mood that every drummer has when he/she is about to rock.

User Info Menu

IHey Fonz...welcome to the forum. I would recommend a 3 stage practice routine,,,

I. READING:Get your old rudimental books or buy one. also Stick control by George L. Stone and start with Page 1. Allocate 10 - 15 minutes.

II. DRUM SET TECHNIQUE: Work on specific beats , drum patterns, drum fills on your set.
    Get Syncopation by Ted Reed, Advanced Techniques for The Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin and The Drummers' Cookbook. These 3 books will give you plenty to do on the drums and will cover Jazz, Swing Rock. allocate 10 - 15 minutes

III. PLAY: Always end you practice sessions with playing to some music...anything will do but you can also focus on a particular style that you wish to work with. Allocate 10 - 15 minutes.

Following this routine will give you a good 30 - 45 minute routine and will get you up to speed in no time at all.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Frank, I like your routine!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

+2 Frank!

Welcome Fonz!

User Info Menu

Yes, welcome to Drum Chat FONZ!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

welcome to dc

rudiments and cross sticking exercises are the easiest way to used to getting around the kit again

an idea , once your back on your feet you should try find someone to jam with in your local area

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum and back to drumming!!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    IHey Fonz...welcome to the forum. I would recommend a 3 stage practice routine,,,

I. READING:Get your old rudimental books or buy one. also Stick control by George L. Stone and start with Page 1. Allocate 10 - 15 minutes.

II. DRUM SET TECHNIQUE: Work on specific beats , drum patterns, drum fills on your set.
    Get Syncopation by Ted Reed, Advanced Techniques for The Modern Drummer by Jim Chapin and The Drummers' Cookbook. These 3 books will give you plenty to do on the drums and will cover Jazz, Swing Rock. allocate 10 - 15 minutes

III. PLAY: Always end you practice sessions with playing to some music...anything will do but you can also focus on a particular style that you wish to work with. Allocate 10 - 15 minutes.

Following this routine will give you a good 30 - 45 minute routine and will get you up to speed in no time at all.
    yes, rudimental practice, kit practice, and "group" practice are the three main topics,and if you have something that needs more work, add a few minutes to that area but do not lessen your other areas to "catch up"

just make sure you practice evenly so that you can play the kit amazing, but cannotplay rudiments.

another good book for snare practice is "fundamental studies studies for the snare drum" by garwood whaley it is a good book for working out your chops and tempo
    -Steven

User Info Menu

i try working on new pieces, rudiments and stuff i dont get, and drumming books and videos.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Great advice everyone and thanks for the warm welcomes. I particularly liked fiacovaz suggestions:

work on chops for 20 mins (ala Reed, Stone, et al);
    work around the kit (grooves, fills, independence) for 20 mins, and
    work on a song or two for 20 mins.

I really like this and will be incorporating this suggestion post haste.