Thread: Last attempt to commit to kit...

User Info Menu

Default Last attempt to commit to kit...

Hey guys. Ok, so before i leave for university (about 10 months time) im thinking of making a move and getting a newer kit at long last although it may take me a while to get the money. I think i can use the fact the bands getting better and might be playing gigs soon as leverage in persuading my parents to give me a loan. (insert evil laugh)

I think im definitely going to buy used due to the cost and have had a look around at options. Im looking into pearl exports as there are alot of them around to get hold of, for example ebay, and i think i can get a good deal. I reckon my price is about £300 although maybe i could stretch a bit.

I just wondered if anybody knows of the best kind of exports, like the best series as there are quite a few. Also what kind of things to look out for etc. Is it the right desicion or is my money better invested elsewhere? Im not sure when it will be but i do want to have a decent kit before i go to university so i can play it when i come back etc. Im not sure whether i will get a new kit or not, il probably speak to my parents and see if the opportunity is there.

Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Last attempt to commit to kit...

good luck finding exports for 300 euros my visions cost about a thousand dollars

User Info Menu

Ive found an export on ebay for about £250 and it is fairly near me which is good aswell. However i think some of the drums are like 60's/70's export (thats what it said on the description) The drums i have at the moment are old and i was looking for something newer. But are older exports better?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by nathan92 View Post
    good luck finding exports for 300 euros my visions cost about a thousand dollars

We dont use Euros in Britain mate - Still the Pound with the Queens head on it and long may it stay!!!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Ive found an export on ebay for about £250 and it is fairly near me which is good aswell. However i think some of the drums are like 60's/70's export (thats what it said on the description) The drums i have at the moment are old and i was looking for something newer. But are older exports better?

mmmm As far as I can remember the Export came along in the early 1980s as a replacement for the Maxwin. I had a quick look on ebay and I assume its the wine red 7 piece one mate? Judging by the pics it looks ok but needs new heads. Make sure you check that all the tuning nuts turn ok, that all the screws and nuts are in good working order and if they let you, take the heads of and check for any signs of the drum plies separating (I doubt if the owner will give you permission!)

With new heads and a general clean up it is probably worth the money though you many want to consider getting a better snare at some point.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

User Info Menu

When you say that the drums you have now are "Old," what does that mean? Are they old as is 10 years old, 20 years old or are they"Old" as in bad condition and not useable?
    There are some drums that are old and in demand by many drummers. What can you tell us about yours?
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    I had a quick look on ebay and I assume its the wine red 7 piece one mate? J
    Yeh that's it lol. I don't mind putting some work and money it to get it up to scratch its just whether it will be worth it in the long run. It kinda sucks, there are very few kits that close to me that i could get to as most people selling kits want the owner to pick it up. Im still not sure about it all tbh, id love it but im not sure if its worth it.

fiacovaz,im not sure how old they are but im fairly certain they are 1960's. I dont think the kit i have at the moment is in demand or collectable, its a premier kit but i dont know the model. Ive seen quite a few on ebay in the past. The shells are kinda silky blue. It really is not very good though and id love a better kit. Im just not sure if the exports are worth it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious Stan View Post
    Yeh that's it lol. I don't mind putting some work and money it to get it up to scratch its just whether it will be worth it in the long run. It kinda sucks, there are very few kits that close to me that i could get to as most people selling kits want the owner to pick it up. Im still not sure about it all tbh, id love it but im not sure if its worth it.
    it probaby is worth it though judging by the pics i would go over it with a fine toothcomb just to make sure. It will probaby look a lot better with a good clean and sound miles better with good heads.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England

User Info Menu

Cheers Dustin!