Thread: Bass Drum Pedal too loud?

User Info Menu

Default Bass Drum Pedal too loud?

Hey there everyone- A little help required! This normally wouldn't be an issue if I lived in a house, but seeing as I live in an apartment building that is probably at least 300 years old, I am having some sound issues despite using an electronic drum set!

The problem is that the bass drum can be heard by my neighbors downstairs. Although it is not very loud, our neighbors work from home and have said that after an hour of playing, it tends to get on their nerves. They've been very nice about it, but I have become quite conscious when playing. I've put two thick rubber mats under the base drum pedal, which has somewhat lessened the noise, but I'm looking for a better alternative. Does anybody have any ideas or tips? They would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Bass Drum Pedal too loud?

Wow. Maybe try moving the kit to a different room?
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

you can get this material at wally world camping department also tractor supply. stall mats. just a thought. The other reply is good too if that is an option.
    Last edited by drummer; 01-11-2009 at 09:43 PM. Reason: Commercial link

User Info Menu

I have to laugh, Carolina! Not at you, of course! I just pictured your neighbors hearing it. Like RHD said, try finding a better room. Ask the neighbors what they would recommend. Between your neighbors and you, see if there are good times for you to play.

User Info Menu

Yeah that's a tough one. I mean that must be real sensitive to be picking up the mallet hitting rubber enough for you downstairs neighbour to pick up on it like that. Can you get a lesh headed kick like on the ROland TD20? that'd probably fix the issue.

Otherwise a different room might work, but you never really know until you try
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Most of the complaints I read about in other forums concerning downstairs neighbors and edrums, centers on the kick pedal impact transferance thru the floor (ie, not the actual striking of the beater to the pad, but the downward motion of the foot to the pedal). You've done well to place two rubber mats under your kit, but you may need to go one step further. Attached are some photos of a plywood/tennis ball platform other drummers have used with success (their words). I have not used this riser myself and only pass it on in the hope it may help you continue to play. Good luck with the neighbors.

User Info Menu

Kinda Ingenious

all the best...

User Info Menu

that plywood-tennis ball thing is briliant actually.with the space of air there is essentially a type of insulationf r the actual sounds themselves, and the tennis balls act as absorbers for the vibration and impact. That really is brilliant. I thought that type of thing was needed but i wasn't able to think of how to go about making something to do it - whoever came up with that has a great brain.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I have to laugh, Carolina! Not at you, of course! I just pictured your neighbors hearing it. Like RHD said, try finding a better room. Ask the neighbors what they would recommend. Between your neighbors and you, see if there are good times for you to play.
    I know it does sound funny doesn't it?! But in all honestly, we went downstairs, and it was actually pretty loud- bizarre, seeing as we can hardly hear it in our own apartment...Unfortunately, we live in a studio flat- which means we only have one room (other than the kitchen and bathroom of course)! But, a BIG thank you to all of you for your great ideas! The tennis ball one is fantastic, and I think that's what were going to attempt to do!

Thanks to all!!

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=ABCgang;154361]Most of the complaints I read about in other forums concerning downstairs neighbors and edrums, centers on the kick pedal impact transferance thru the floor (ie, not the actual striking of the beater to the pad, but the downward motion of the foot to the pedal). You've done well to place two rubber mats under your kit, but you may need to go one step further. Attached are some photos of a plywood/tennis ball platform other drummers have used with success (their words). I have not used this riser myself and only pass it on in the hope it may help you continue to play. Good luck with the neighbors.

Absolutely brilliant idea!! Thank you for that!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    that plywood-tennis ball thing is briliant actually.with the space of air there is essentially a type of insulationf r the actual sounds themselves, and the tennis balls act as absorbers for the vibration and impact. That really is brilliant. I thought that type of thing was needed but i wasn't able to think of how to go about making something to do it - whoever came up with that has a great brain.
    I know- tell me about it!! Brilliant indeed!!

User Info Menu

That tennis ball idea is GREAT!

User Info Menu

Some people are never happy eh!! I went from an all birch yammy acoustic kit, shaking the very foundations of the house, to an e kit in my bedroom and its still not good enough !!!!!!! I had to recently move my ekit from my upstairs bedroom into the basement due to the thumping of the pedal issue down to the living room below. I think i will set up the acoustics and remind everyone of the previous pain and suffering!!
    great idea on the tennis balls ABC, top marks buddy.

If anyone actaully builds and tests this out can you plz respond back, as I will be using it next winter if its good. thx

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Some people are never happy eh!! I went from an all birch yammy acoustic kit, shaking the very foundations of the house, to an e kit in my bedroom and its still not good enough !!!!!!! I had to recently move my ekit from my upstairs bedroom into the basement due to the thumping of the pedal issue down to the living room below. I think i will set up the acoustics and remind everyone of the previous pain and suffering!!
    great idea on the tennis balls ABC, top marks buddy.

If anyone actaully builds and tests this out can you plz respond back, as I will be using it next winter if its good. thx
    Thanks ratmycue. Just passing on the idea that other drummers have created. Hope it works for those in need.

User Info Menu

Is it the motion of the peddle hitting down on the floor, or is it the beater. Maybe try a softer beater if its that or wrap your beater in something, otherwise rubber foam and tennisball risers are the go.

Thats a really good idea tho man, Ill be using one of them for recording for sure.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

try getting a sound shield put in front of the drums, and then put the drums themselves on top of a secure mattress.

User Info Menu

I really like the Roland TD-4, but isnt a bass pedal hitting against the trigger kind of defeating the purpose of having a E-Kit to begin with? I wonder if there is a way to connect an electronic pedal (Rock Band drum pedal?) to the module. Sure, I am sure lots of people would frown upon this, but it would keep things much quieter.
    Last edited by skeets; 03-16-2009 at 05:53 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

I think i will set up the acoustics and remind everyone of the previous pain and suffering!!

I just had coffee come outta my nose reading that...classic

User Info Menu

location location

User Info Menu

That tennis ball idea is awesome. When I lived in an apartment I used a drum riser on several layers of carpet. Got the pedal up off the floor. 4 layers of carpet , the riser was up on 12 - 5 gallon plastic buckets.

User Info Menu

I finally got my Roland TD-4 and am using a real bass pedal. I live in a townhouse and I didnt want my family subjected to the constant thud thud of the bass pedal. After a few things, I finally tried placing the bass pad stand on one of those mouse pad gel wrist rests. Now with the TV downstairs on at a normal level, the thud is barely noticeable.