Thread: Cymbal "Dents"

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal "Dents"

I've noticed that there are infinite possibilities when it comes to cymbal customization. One characteristic I've seen on several cymbals is these little dent-like features. Here's what I'm talking about:

This:
    http://www.bennettdrums.com/images/E.../cym5large.jpg

As opposed to this:
    http://www.beatyourowndrum.com/blog/...bal-726348.jpg

I've seen these "dents" vary in size, shape, and number, and I have two questions:

1) What is the proper term for this feature?
    2) What do they do?

Thanks for the help.
    My 1960 Ludwig Drumset
    Ludwig Drums
    Snare = 5x14
    Tom-Tom = 9x13
    Floor Tom-Tom = 16x16
    Bass = 14x22
    Zildjian Cymbals
    Hi-Hat = 16
    Splash = 12
    Crash = 16
    Ride = 22
    Sabian Cymbal
    Splash = 10

As a hand-me-down from my dad, it's priceless!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal "Dents"

It's call hammering. They actually beat the cymbal on an anvil with a round tipped hammer. Like a ball peen hammer. It gives the cymbal a characteristic sound, as opposed to cymbals that are only lathed.

all the best...

User Info Menu

There is also machine hammerd and hand hammerd!

User Info Menu

Maybe I can sell my disfigured ZBT crash for more than I paid for it... It has lots of "dents"

User Info Menu

Most cymbals are hammered at some point Jski. It's what gives them their shape (or bow). It also hardens them (in combination with heating) to prevent cracking when they are hit.

There is also the lathing process which removes metal from the cymbal and creates the groove (imagine cutting the skin off an apple).

Some cymbals are more heavily lathed after the hammering so you don't see the "dents". Others might be hammered (again) after all lathing is finished.

And that's my 30 second explanation of cymbal-making...
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

Larrysperf Guest

Go to Sabian site and take the factory tour that way you will see and get to understand how they are made. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    Maybe I can sell my disfigured ZBT crash for more than I paid for it... It has lots of "dents"
    Now there is an idea!!!!

User Info Menu

I've been hammering my own cymbals for a few months now and have turned some very blah b8's into very complicated and dark sounding b8 bronze cymbals. Of course you can never beat the b8 sound out of them, but you can make them more adapt for other styles of music. I still havn't beaten on any b20 bronze, but it will happen soon...... poor heavy 18in concert cymbal doesn't even know I'm about to pound it into a crash/ride

And very few cymbals nowadays get their shape from hammering. Most are stamped into shape by a powerful press and then "fine tuned with hammering".
    Last edited by ocddrummer; 01-21-2009 at 01:54 AM.

User Info Menu

ocddrummer...could you give us a little insight into how you do this.

all the best...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ocddrummer View Post
    I've been hammering my own cymbals for a few months now and have turned some very blah b8's into very complicated and dark sounding b8 bronze cymbals. Of course you can never beat the b8 sound out of them, but you can make them more adapt for other styles of music. I still havn't beaten on any b20 bronze, but it will happen soon...... poor heavy 18in concert cymbal doesn't even know I'm about to pound it into a crash/ride

And very few cymbals nowadays get their shape from hammering. Most are stamped into shape by a powerful press and then "fine tuned with hammering".

I would like to know how you do that also. Without heating the cymbal somehow wouldn't you run the risk of just cracking it??
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

It doesn't take a lot of force when hitting the cymbal to make a dent. I imagine there is the risk of cracking them, but I havn't cracked one yet. It's real easy to be cautious when your about to smack something as nice as a cymbal w/ a hammer.

A lot has been said on this subject on the web. Start here and enjoy

www.cymbalutopia.com

Moderators:
    this artist does sell his cymbals on this page as well. If posting this link is frowned upon, please promptly remove.

User Info Menu

That site is pretty rad dude, thanks for posting.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I have the K Constantinople 20" ride that is pictured on the site you included. One of the most beautiful sounding cymbals I've ever played. Mine is the Light Ride which has been discontinued.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    There is also machine hammerd and hand hammerd!
    In my younger days, I got hammered a few times! It was by hand!
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

there was a vid on youtube posted here a while back that actually shows the entire cymbal making process, i beleive at UPIF, or is it UFIP (if i remember right, it's been a while) - either way that cymbal company shows how they do it, including the hammering. really interesting to watch. Wondienr if someone can find it again.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    In my younger days, I got hammered a few times! It was by hand!
    How about getting hand hammered and then hammering cymbals by hand. It's probably way more fun that way.