Thread: My Recording Method.

User Info Menu

Default My Recording Method.

I have been asked by several members how I make my drum video's, so I thought I would just start a thread on my method, if you have any additional questions, please feel free to ask.

Recording Gear:
    I use the 18CH Phonic Helix Firewire mixer, CAD 7pc Pro Mic set, Equation RP-22X Reference headphones, and Adobe Audition 3 running on Vista 32, and my Canon 10MP Digital Camera for the video.

Syncing & Editing Software:
    I use Nero soundtrax to sync my drum track with the original audio track, this software also allows to adjust the levels, so you can hear more of me and less of the original drummer, add effects like reverb, EQ, and pretty much whatever else you want to add, very killer software.

After I have synced the audio, I use Windows Movie Maker to sync the Audio with the Video, you can also add titles, animation, and so on with this software.

NOTES:
    When I record a drum track, it is kind of cool, I can hook up my Ipod into my mixer, and it will playback thru the mixer as I am laying down the drum track, but will not record the audio from the ipod, so I can adjust the levels, very cool feature.

I think one of the most important things to get a good clean sound is to have a really nice set of headphones. My Equation headphones are so crisp, and so clean, you hear the lowest lows and the highest highs so clearly it is unreal, it made a HUGE difference in dialing in a good drum sound, and also to play along to the audio track.

Anyway guys hope this helps out.

Latest video.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jJ4iieCDNI
    Last edited by DWdrumr; 01-13-2009 at 10:58 AM.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

Default Re: My Recording Method.

Thanks Kevin!

Would you mind if I merge this with a recording thread that just started recently? The people that are talking there really wouldn't want to miss this.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Thanks Kevin!

Would you mind if I merge this with a recording thread that just started recently? The people that are talking there really wouldn't want to miss this.
    By all means please, but I thought that is where I posted it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DWdrumr View Post
    By all means please, but I thought that is where I posted it.
    I was thinking of adding it to an ongoing thread, rather than just the forum itself. If you would prefer to keep it separate within the recording forum, I would have no problems either. I was just thinking that what you posted sounded exactly like what was being discussed on Drummers initial post in that forum:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...rums-8306.html

It really wouldn't hurt to leave it where it is either, simply because it would come up on the new posts and people would find it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I was thinking of adding it to an ongoing thread, rather than just the forum itself. If you would prefer to keep it separate within the recording forum, I would have no problems either. I was just thinking that what you posted sounded exactly like what was being discussed on Drummers initial post in that forum:

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...rums-8306.html

It really wouldn't hurt to leave it where it is either, simply because it would come up on the new posts and people would find it.
    Yea I just noticed the other thread, please put it in there, and I was wanting to add my newest video to demonstrate what kind of sound I generate, sound good?

User Info Menu

Yea I just noticed the other thread, please put it in there, and I was wanting to add my newest video to demonstrate what kind of sound I generate, sound good?
    Sounds like an excellent idea Kevin. Let's just leave this thread where it is then, and you can expand on how you get your sound. Cool.

User Info Menu

Good info, Kevin. Do you ever travel. I could use you for a weekend.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Good info, Kevin. Do you ever travel. I could use you for a weekend.
    I wish man, if I lived close to you I would be there in a second.

User Info Menu

I wish man, if I lived close to you I would be there in a second.
    That's pretty much what the ex girlfriend heard all the time
    As of 1/7/09: Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch. 12", 14" 16" 20" DW Brass snare. Pearl Eliminator double bass pedal. DW 5000 hi hat stand.

14" Sabian AA Studio Hats
    16" Sabian AA Sound Control Crash-brilliant finish
    18" K Custom Dark Crash
    20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

Pork Pie Saddle (Purple on zebra stripe- so ugly no one will steal it!)

Sticks: Pro Mark 5A, Shira Kashi Oak

User Info Menu

Good stuff as always Kev! And thanks for the info...I really would like to do something like this one day!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Good Stuff! I do somewhat the same but here is my method...
    Drums: Pacific X7's, All Paiste 2002 Cymbals. Mics: Audio Technica mics, one per drum and 2 condenser oveheads 1 panned Hard right one Hard left. All feed into a Beringer mixer and that feeds to my computer. Computer Rig: Dual Core, 4 megabytes Ram, Mixcraft 3, Creative FX1 Sound Card. For playback: JVC Receiver, Polk Audio Speakers. What I do is record songs on one track in Mixcraft 3 ahead of time. I then save these read only as my master tracks. I have in ear monitors that isolate to about -34db so when I play to the track and record myself I pretty much only hear what I monitor and everything is at a comfortable level. Each time I play to the song I record myself on a separate track. So I can compare "Takes". When I playback the mix I can also mute the song if I just want to hear myself and/or I can adjust the levels of either or both and add EQ and effects as needed. Then save everything as needed. Sometimes I get the mix so close you cannot tell the difference other than the distinct sound of my drums and of course those awsome 2002's. Mixcraft 3 also gives you the ability to mix the tracks down to mp3's or cd's if you want to listen to your self in the car, ipod, or on your home stereo. I will post some samples soon. Great thread!

User Info Menu

Alot of Good info here! I often wondered how you guys do this...
    I am wanting to try this and start posting a few vids myself..someday. -Les