Thread: Removing stuck on mic holder

User Info Menu

Default Removing stuck on mic holder

Hey all,
    I just picked up a used Pearl maple snare that was used in a studio. It has a mic cord holder stuck to the side of it that I would like to remove, without removing the finish on wood. Can anyone recommend a good, non-ammonia solution? Thanks.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Default Re: Removing stuck on mic holder

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    Hey all,
    I just picked up a used Pearl maple snare that was used in a studio. It has a mic cord holder stuck to the side of it that I would like to remove, without removing the finish on wood. Can anyone recommend a good, non-ammonia solution? Thanks.
    Is it glued on or something? Can you get a pic?
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

You know those hangers you can buy that have a peel-off backing and you can stick them to walls, etc? That's what this is. I am sure I will be able to get the mic holder off, but it will undoubtedly leave some residue.
    Robert

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by LagerHead View Post
    You know those hangers you can buy that have a peel-off backing and you can stick them to walls, etc? That's what this is. I am sure I will be able to get the mic holder off, but it will undoubtedly leave some residue.
    Hmmm.....yeah. Tough one. I don't have any kind of experience in doing this kind of stuff. Sounds like you're on the right track though. Getting something that hopefully won't be too harsh on the finish of the drum.
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

There is a solvent you can buy made specifically for removing tape residues, I just can't remember the name. I got it from a hardware store.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Drumslave View Post
    There is a solvent you can buy made specifically for removing tape residues, I just can't remember the name. I got it from a hardware store.
    Goo Gone. You may have to use quite a bit of it. Soak the area and let it sit for a few minutes and the majority of it should come off. Soak the remaining bits again and use a non abrasive cloth and some friction to get it off. While you are at it, I'd take off all the hardware and use a good funiture polish to completely clean the whole thing. Good luck.

User Info Menu

Try a hair dryer to loosen the glue up. Then if you get it off and it leaves a residue remove that with goo gone.
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

The guy at the drum store said Goo-Gone will remove the finish on the wood. Does anyone have any experience on this?
    Robert

User Info Menu

WD40 will work and not hurt the finish.

User Info Menu

Thanks back. I'll give that a try. I'm going to take all the hardware off and give it a good polish this weekend. I'll post before and after photos along with what I used after I'm done.
    Robert

User Info Menu

Dental floss to get the clip off. WD40 should get the rest off.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47