Thread: Sonor Force vs Pearl vision

User Info Menu

Default Sonor Force vs Pearl vision

Hey Guys, I'm looking at buying either a Sonor Force 3007 or a Pearl vision VMX.
    I've heard a lot of great things about the Sonor, but haven't really heard anything about the Pearl Vision series.
    I don't know if one caters more to rock (which is what I play), my price range
    is obviously around a thousand, a few hundred more or less is fine.
    Any suggestions as to which i should go for?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sonor Force vs Pearl vision

First of all, welcome to Drum Chat ZachRAC!

In comparing the 2, are you getting the same configurations, and hardware deals? If so, IMHO, I would go with the Sonor Force 3007. I just think their quality is beyond solid.

Just to make your decision harder, have you looked at the Gretsch Catalina Maple kit (it's the one I play). It's around $700 for the shell pack, so you could use the extra $300 of your budget for hardware. BTW, have you factored cymbals into your budget?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

If it were me making that decision, I would stay away from the Pearl Visions and probably go with the Sonor 3007. The reason I say this is because of the way Pearl mounts their rack toms using the head hoops of the drums with the Visions kits. The entire weight of the toms is skewing the rim which in my opinion, has much to be desired. Many people will tell you that it doesn't affect the tone or tuning of the drums to any great extent, but I know better from experience.

I never played a Gretsch Catalina maple, birch or ash kit, but I do like Gretsch as a drum company and don't believe you could go wrong with Gretsch.

At the price range you're talking about, there are a lot of great kits. Just leave your options open. I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinion here from many knowledgeable people.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    At the price range you're talking about, there are a lot of great kits. Just leave your options open. I'm sure you'll get a lot of different opinion here from many knowledgeable people.

Dennis
    You are sooooo right Dennis, after all, the Mapex Mafia hasn't weighed in yet!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I am a bit biased, but trust me when I tell you that you will be very happy with the 3007's. There is a Sonor Discussion thread here in case you haven't seen it. Lots of good pic's and info. Welcome to the forum.

sonorkid
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

Thanks and yeah the configs are the same, snare one tom and two floors same sizes and all that. No, I haven't looked at Gretsch but my dad had one and its not really my style. I have symbols for the moment so I'm not too concerned about them, I just plan on buying a few Zildjians whenever I get the money. Thanks for all the great feedback everyone!

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone =) I think I'm ganna go
    for the Sonors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ZachRAC View Post
    Thanks everyone =) I think I'm ganna go
    for the Sonors.
    From my own personal experience, you are making a good choice if between the two brands only.

I have to agree with audiotech that I can't believe that hanging a drum by one section of the batter hoops is a good thing.

I was interested in the Pearls until I notice that.

I have the 3007 and really like the way they look and sound.
    Signature here