Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open mic tonight

User Info Menu

Default Open mic tonight

Yo Yo!!
    I'm going to a open mic tonight, my first time playing drums in front of a crowd, were (my band) only doing a couple of songs but well looking forward to it, any tips??

Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Open mic tonight

The big thing is to just relax and have fun. Whenever I've playing in front of the church, relaxing and having fun is the hardest thing to do (as the pastor, I feel a certain amount of pressure to do well), but as I have learned how relax, playing has become soooo much better.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Play it like you rehearsed. Stay away from improvisation your first time playing in front of a crowd. Otherwise, just you do that voodoo you do so well.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Have Fun!!!!!

User Info Menu

Theres been a couple 1 st time threads like this in the past looking for tips . Here is my typical reply.........."dont fall off your throne "

Now dont be too quick to laugh because there are some well-seasoned drummers who have had this happen .

( Dont worry LW , I made sure I kept your name out of this thread .)

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Theres been a couple 1 st time threads like this in the past looking for tips . Here is my typical reply.........."dont fall off your throne "

Now dont be too quick to laugh because there are some well-seasoned drummers who have had this happen .

( Dont worry LW , I made sure I kept your name out of this thread .)
    one of the legs of my throne was too close to edge of the rise my drums were set up on.... i fell back behind the stage between songs lol

just have fun and rock it like u rehearsed!

User Info Menu

Relax, enjoy it.

Stay off booze and drugs. If you feel the need to use anything to relax before this gig, and you give in to it, you will need it at every gig. And sooner or later, you will need more and more to get the same relaxing effect.

Goodness knows, I've seen way too many good musicians destroyed by something that started as, "Something to help me relax," or "A bit of Dutch Courage." I have nothing against drink, but drink after the gig, if you're not driving of course, because you want to, not before it because you need to.

But most important, relax and enjoy it.

Andy

User Info Menu

When in doubt, keep it simple.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Keep it simple is absolutely the best advice. Also keep in mind that most people in the audience don't know what you are "supposed" to play, so play through any mistakes.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    Keep it simple is absolutely the best advice. Also keep in mind that most people in the audience don't know what you are "supposed" to play, so play through any mistakes.
    These are wise words! I feel sometimes the only reason we practice is to learn how to recover from our mistakes!! No glaring at each other on stage when you guys goof up! Just plough on through! Relaxation is key!! Have fun!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkyruss View Post
    These are wise words! I feel sometimes the only reason we practice is to learn how to recover from our mistakes!! No glaring at each other on stage when you guys goof up! Just plough on through! Relaxation is key!! Have fun!
    The sign of a new/younger band! It took us a while when we were kids to not glare at each other. The worst was when one of the guitarists would actually turn around to look at me if I messed up! Fortunately, after 20+ years together we're almost over that.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Remember this: It's not a mistake if you play it twice"
    "The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter."

http://www.facebook.com/robert.romeo
    Noble & Cooley Drums
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    DW Pedals and Hardware

User Info Menu

Another thing I do is not worry about playing the some the "same way" as I did before. I don't actually try to play most covers exactly, which makes it less worrisome.
    Jesse

2016 Roland TD-25K

User Info Menu

Don't worry if you start to get nervous right before playing. It will go away as soon as you hit the first downbeat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Rob on Drums View Post
    Remember this: It's not a mistake if you play it twice"
    That is so true.

Also, if you're not using your own kit, whatever you do, don't try and tune someone else's drums. That will get you reprimanded and/or kicked out. Yes, I'm speaking from experience. The guys snare sounded like a piece of cardboard, and I thought he wasn't looking...

Bring your own sticks, and maybe as a precaution, bring your cymbals too. Some guys are stingy like that.
    As of 1/7/09: Tama Starclassic Bubinga/Birch. 12", 14" 16" 20" DW Brass snare. Pearl Eliminator double bass pedal. DW 5000 hi hat stand.

14" Sabian AA Studio Hats
    16" Sabian AA Sound Control Crash-brilliant finish
    18" K Custom Dark Crash
    20" K Custom Hybrid Ride

Pork Pie Saddle (Purple on zebra stripe- so ugly no one will steal it!)

Sticks: Pro Mark 5A, Shira Kashi Oak

User Info Menu

DONT STOP!!!!
    No matter how bad the mistake is, play through it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kaosotis View Post
    The sign of a new/younger band! It took us a while when we were kids to not glare at each other. The worst was when one of the guitarists would actually turn around to look at me if I messed up! Fortunately, after 20+ years together we're almost over that.
    my guitar/singer player glares at me when HE screws up, as to make it look like my fault.

as far as first time gig...breath. not breathing will lead to speeding up. just relax and have fun. dont worry if the house kit is terrible. everyone else is gonna sound bad too.
    Last edited by funkymcstain; 01-15-2009 at 03:39 PM.

User Info Menu

Count the band in and then dont hit anything!! they will look like goofs.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

We've kinda learnt in my band, that we all make mistakes and there's no point blaming people for them. Besides, we all know we make mistakes every now and then, so we don't glare at each other when someone else does it. =]
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Count the band in and then dont hit anything!! they will look like goofs.
    OH you are a meanie....I really like it.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

As others have said keep it simple and don't play over your head!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Don't worry if you start to get nervous right before playing. It will go away as soon as you hit the first downbeat.
    Wise words Shane. I don't gig, so I can only relate it to playing baseball. I played ball all my life going from hardball to softball as I got older. I played the outfield, and although I was not professional caliber, I was very confident in my abilities as an amatuer. But I never really ran onto the field without feeling butterflies in my stomach, until after I had made my first play - whatever it was.

The point is that consistent practice makes us ready, but as Shane said, the first downbeat is where the butterflies will end.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

well the open Mic went wicked, i was a little nervous when i went on but as most of you say as soon as we started it all went away, a fella from my work runs it and said we were loads better than he thought we were going to be, and said we had a good solid sound, the singer didn't turn up (maybe time to replace) so we had various singers, it was such a laugh and everyone clapped and cheered when we finished and came and spoke to us, we got loads of advice from the regulars. Can not wait to go up again.
    Cheers Everyone.
    Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

sounds like everything went pretty smooth! sweet

User Info Menu

Mark , glad to hear it went well........next time it will be even easier .