Thread: Hey there...new guy here...

User Info Menu

Default Hey there...new guy here...

Hi all, Kevin here and I just joined this board and thought I'd start with some of my current band info.

The Band is Points North (hence the clever screen name!) and we are based in and around the SF Bay Area. We play instrumental rock and have been together for about 5 years and have been playing shows around the Bay Area.

Here is a link to our Myspace page where we just put up some new videos of a show we did last June in SF. Please let me know what you think and see you around!

Cheers.......K

http://www.myspace.com/pointsnorthband

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hey there...new guy here...

Well gee....I'd like to thank the 3 or 4 folks who at least looked at my post. I'm not fishing for compliments or anything, just looking for honest feedback - positive or negative.....

User Info Menu

What's going on Kevin! And I'm sure it wasn't on purpose...I know at least 20 forum members here who wouldn't just ignore you! We have had a plethora of new forum members recently and they might have thought they already saw your post.

Anyways, don't let this discourage you because this IS the BEST drum forum out there!! Lots of experience here and absolutley awesome people!!

LIstening to your stuff right now, and I like your band's sound! You guys are really tight and your guitarist rocks and I love the bass licks your man is playing! It's always nice to see a real bass player, one who doesn't just stick to the root notes during a tune! NICE VIDS AND MUSIC!!

Stick around! (no pun intended)
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

thats awesome stuff kevin u guys remind me of an instrumental band called russian circles
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Hey Kevin, Welcome to Drum Chat!!

5 years is a healthy amount of time to be with the same band....that's great! I'm at work and unfortunately I can't check out your vids until later, but I'm looking forward to hearing your band!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Tight stuff man real good timing. like rhd said i like a good bassist too. my band mate just bought a 3/4 upright bass about 6 mon. ago and it has really adds a great sound to some of our songs. talk to your guy see what he thinks. if i can recall i think he spent about 2,000 for a used one. anyway great stuff keep it up!

User Info Menu

Very nice. The Source is a great song. But you don't have that one on your player??
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

PND , I checked out your site and you guys sound good together . Welcome to the forum .

User Info Menu

Welcome Kevin! It takes a while to go over your playlist and vids. It's my type of music...primarily guitar driven. Is there a place in SF where you regularly perform? And is Eric still active in guitar instruction?

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Kevin! I am listening to your songs right now, and I really like what I am hearing. I noticed that you have a gig coming up at the Coach House in San Juan Capistrano, so either you guys are branching out, or you are not solely a NorCal band. Some of your music reminds me of some early Journey in the way that it freely flows. I'm not saying you're a Journey copy, just that some of your sound reminds me of some of their early sound. Very cool!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Greetings Kevin, and welcome to DC! I was able to listne to some of your stuff...sounds great man!
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....

User Info Menu

Tight band, cool tunes, liked it.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Hi guys and thanks for the feedback much appreciated - it always means more to coming from peers! I feel blessed because I had been trying to get an instrumental band together for several years. Finally after innumerable ads on Craigslist I hooked up with Eric (guitar) and Damien (bass). I feel even luckier because Eric was chosen as one of ten finalists in last year's Guitar Player Magazine Guitar Superstar contest. He didn't win or place but certainly made an impact. The tune he submitted and played was The Source, which is one of our vids. And Damien is not your conventional bassist - he is and can be VERY percussive with his two handed tapping. I do wish sometimes he would just play some growling bottom so I could lock into him a bit more!....

To answer a few of the questions....starting with GuitarFool...unfortunately we don't have a 'band' recording of The Source - we have a recording but it is just Eric playing to a drum track.. so only the videos right now. I'm hoping we get that recorded soon.

Drumslave: We play in SF fairly regularly - well, maybe 2-3 times over an 8 week period. There are several venues we like, Broadway Studios on Broadway (duh!) being the best, but we also play cool little clubs like Beale St Bar & Grill or the Rockit Room. I don't think Eric is doing too much instruction at the moment but I know it's something he wants to get into a little bit.

Pastor_Bob: Yes! We are playing in San Juan Capistrano opening for Al DiMeola!! This will be our second show there - we opened for Larry Carlton back in August. We know how to pick 'em don't we?? This is more of a branching out as most of our shows are in the SF area and the South Bay (San Jose, Sunnyvale etc). Obviously our band is geared towards the concert venue so we keep our eyes and ears open for shows that would be good for us....we have our eyes on a Robin Trower show in May and have some people working on that for us...but we'll also play festival or Farmer's Mkt type shows. I liked your comment about early Journey, because I was a HUGE fan of that band back in the day..Aynsley Dunbar was one of my favorite players - I still have his picture in my stick bag! There is a lot of Aynsley in my style...I drummed to that first Journey album A LOT....never got Topaz down though!...lol...

Thanks again guys and I'll be checking in from time to time.

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forum!
    I checked out your myspace and I like what I hear!
    Sounds awesome =]
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PointsNorthDrummer View Post
    Hi guys and thanks for the feedback much appreciated - it always means more to coming from peers! I feel blessed because I had been trying to get an instrumental band together for several years. Finally after innumerable ads on Craigslist I hooked up with Eric (guitar) and Damien (bass). I feel even luckier because Eric was chosen as one of ten finalists in last year's Guitar Player Magazine Guitar Superstar contest. He didn't win or place but certainly made an impact. The tune he submitted and played was The Source, which is one of our vids. And Damien is not your conventional bassist - he is and can be VERY percussive with his two handed tapping. I do wish sometimes he would just play some growling bottom so I could lock into him a bit more!....

To answer a few of the questions....starting with GuitarFool...unfortunately we don't have a 'band' recording of The Source - we have a recording but it is just Eric playing to a drum track.. so only the videos right now. I'm hoping we get that recorded soon.

Drumslave: We play in SF fairly regularly - well, maybe 2-3 times over an 8 week period. There are several venues we like, Broadway Studios on Broadway (duh!) being the best, but we also play cool little clubs like Beale St Bar & Grill or the Rockit Room. I don't think Eric is doing too much instruction at the moment but I know it's something he wants to get into a little bit.

Pastor_Bob: Yes! We are playing in San Juan Capistrano opening for Al DiMeola!! This will be our second show there - we opened for Larry Carlton back in August. We know how to pick 'em don't we?? This is more of a branching out as most of our shows are in the SF area and the South Bay (San Jose, Sunnyvale etc). Obviously our band is geared towards the concert venue so we keep our eyes and ears open for shows that would be good for us....we have our eyes on a Robin Trower show in May and have some people working on that for us...but we'll also play festival or Farmer's Mkt type shows. I liked your comment about early Journey, because I was a HUGE fan of that band back in the day..Aynsley Dunbar was one of my favorite players - I still have his picture in my stick bag! There is a lot of Aynsley in my style...I drummed to that first Journey album A LOT....never got Topaz down though!...lol...

Thanks again guys and I'll be checking in from time to time.
    cool man, who was drumming for Carlton when opened for him?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

whats up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    cool man, who was drumming for Carlton when opened for him?
    I was hoping it would be someone like Toss Panos who has done many shows with Carlton, but it was someone I had never heard of, and, sadly, don't remember his name. He was very good though. When I went and introduced myself to him afterwards, he made the comment about "I was struggling up there"...!! Didn't look or sound like it to me....They were a three piece which featured Larry's son Travis on bass...now THIS guy is a monster.

Larrysperf Guest

Liked it Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Hi Kevin-

Some great sounding stuff here! I have always enoyed the instrumental stuff so much, I just rarely get te opportunity to play it- it definitley takes the right chemiastry and it sounds like you guys are on to something. Keep up the good work!
    The Boondogglers - http://www.Facebook.com/boondogglers
    Central Ohio Brass band - http://centralohiobrass.org
    Gretsch Round Badge // Gretsch Renown // Mapex Saturn

User Info Menu

hey kevin- you guyz rock! you played some really challenging songs, and I'm impressed :O great job ther!
    Ðrúmmêrš ârê thê ëñèrgy ïñ å bäñd - Bruce Pearson