Thread: How much?

User Info Menu

Default How much?

How much money did you put into your recording becuase that sounds like a great way to listen to my mistakes so i grow more.

User Info Menu

Default Re: How much?

KF, it all depends on what quality of recording you want. You could get a cheap mixer with just a few XLR inputs, and a couple of cheap condenser mics, and a dynamic mic to get started. Run the sound from the mixer into the "line in" on a computer that has a free software like Audacity (you can download it for free), and you're recording. This gets you recording for around $200-300, depending on the mics you buy.

Of course, if you want better sound, it's going to cost you more because you mic the drums individually, and you'll need a bigger, better mixer, and a better software. If you just want it for critiquing purposes, I'd keep it very simple.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    KF, it all depends on what quality of recording you want. You could get a cheap mixer with just a few XLR inputs, and a couple of cheap condenser mics, and a dynamic mic to get started. Run the sound from the mixer into the "line in" on a computer that has a free software like Audacity (you can download it for free), and you're recording. This gets you recording for around $200-300, depending on the mics you buy.

Of course, if you want better sound, it's going to cost you more because you mic the drums individually, and you'll need a bigger, better mixer, and a better software. If you just want it for critiquing purposes, I'd keep it very simple.
    I am either asking for that than or a double pedal for my birthday.

So if my mom is going to lets say guitar center what do I tell her to ask for.
    Last edited by KISSFan300; 01-16-2009 at 09:57 AM.

User Info Menu

recording stuff.

better to listen, learn and improve your chops than a double pedal.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    recording stuff.

better to listen, learn and improve your chops than a double pedal.
    see the thing with that though is there are a lot of songs that I would like play that are not possible with out a double pedal.

User Info Menu

I just bought some gear today for around $250:

* Samson MDR624 mixer
    * Samson C02 mics (matched pair of condenser mics)
    * 3 XLR cables

And I already had a set of vic firth isolation headphones (another $50). I'm running this into GarageBand on my macbook. I've got a sum total of about 45 minutes of recording experience, this set up isn't top notch but I'm happy with it and there's some room on the mixer to add mics to the kit.

-Scott

User Info Menu

For personal recordings at home, I just use a $200 camcorder, $20 memstick and $20 card reader and I can record all day long and playback to my computer.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I guess I'll never quite understand why it is that so many never know for certain what it is they want when it comes to their equipment. Seems to me that we should know our limitations and desires. In this case, the solution is to get the double bass pedal and here's the rationale: 1. Mom and Dad may want to help and are willing for one thing or the other BUT, they are not going to put out a whole lot of $$$ for something they are unfamiliar with. 2. Since, as you say, that there are a some songs that require a double pedal, let the parents spring for a decent enough model. In this way, they get to contribute and you get a piece of equipment that you can begin to Learn with or let slide into oblivion. 3. You've already pointed out that you are leaning towards some kind of recording appartaus that will help you to uncover weaknesses in your playing for improvement. You don't need a lot of high-end gear for that BUT, at the same time, you're going to discover, eventually, that this will be something that can be improved upon with quality. 4. Given point #3, you are better off putting together your own $$$ while you are learning to play dble pedal and acquiring the gear yourself. 5. Doing this will require study and reseach on your part for the equipment that will best serve your present needs while being upgradeable at some future point. 6. Lastly, anytime you have to "PAY" for your own equipment you will learn to appreciate it more. So, when you and Mom go to GC, already have a model, that you can work with, picked out. This will impress Mom and not waste her time. She and dad will be gratified once they hear how well you are able to put their gift to good use. This puts you into another level of your playing and, by the time you are able to acquire some decent recording equipment...you will have something that's worth recording. Whew!!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

What about a Zoom H4? anybody use one of these?
    Are they worth the $300 -Les

User Info Menu

Good stuff, Frank.

No I haven't, Les.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

the most expensive part of my setup is my Roland V studio, which i bought used for $700 5 years ago. I bought it with the intention of recording my own songs, because i can produce CD quality music on there, and produce a CD on there. (this was before computer based recording became commonplace, and affordable).

Now i use a combination of recording tracks and a little mixing on the roland, make a CD, take it to the computer, and work a little more with it in Sony ACID music studio.

I haven't gotten too far on song ideas though to complete the process, been too busy with work and other things.

User Info Menu

i kinda agree with frank on this. if your need for recording is just for evaluation, a cheep 50 buck handheld digi-recorder will do. if you can get your mom to dish out the bucks for the dbl pedal, go for it. get something that will last (dw5000/9000, iron cobra...ect).