Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrated with making a video

User Info Menu

Default Frustrated with making a video

OK, I just tried to make a video like some of you all have, and I gotta say, I'm extremely frustrated.

My camcorder makes my e-kit sounds like crap. Literally. Sounds great in my headphones, but is just awful on camera.

I have the kit running straight through a Peavy keyboard amp, and it's turned down low to not blow the mic out on the camcorder. It's the Pavy KB60 and the iPod is through the phones. I do my groove and it's all cool and I download it to the cam and it sounds like the aftermath from a coupe of beers and some Texas chili dogs.

Not only that, but pulling out of the guitar solo I rushed in every take.

Needless to say, this vid wont see the light of day, but what can I do to make it sound good? HELP!!!
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

Default Re: Frustrated with making a video

CycleDude, can you export your kit straight into your computer with a recording program like Audacity? If so, maybe you could shoot the video and dub the sound.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Can you make a decent sound recording without the camera?

I can record the audio into my computer and save it as an MP3. While I do that I also record with the camcorder. When I'm done I use Windows Movie Maker and import both the video and the separate audio.

The biggest trick is getting them to sync up. Once that happens you can eliminate the audio from the camcorder and blend the audio track (that sounds good) with the video track of the camcorder.

It's not really that hard and probably takes longer to type out the directions.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish, that must be why they offered you the big moderator money! Great explanation!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post

I can record the audio into my computer and save it as an MP3. While I do that I also record with the camcorder. When I'm done I use Windows Movie Maker and import both the video and the separate audio.

The biggest trick is getting them to sync up. Once that happens you can eliminate the audio from the camcorder and blend the audio track (that sounds good) with the video track of the camcorder.

It's not really that hard and probably takes longer to type out the directions.
    Do you run all your mics through a sound board and then 1 cable into the PC?
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Bish, that must be why they offered you the big moderator money! Great explanation!
    We get paid, too?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I don't know how. It's my ekit and a peavy amp.

Not to sound like a noob, but I turned on the camera, turned on the amp and played. Then I watched it back and wanted to barf.

I just downloaded Audacity, since it works on an Intel MAC, but how do I plug the e-kit into the MacBook? The back of the brain has 1/4" L/R mono/stereo out, and midi out.

Is there a midi or 1/4" to usb or fire wire adapter or something?
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by redheaddrummer03 View Post
    Do you run all your mics through a sound board and then 1 cable into the PC?
    hahahahaha!!! My brother's name is Mike. That's about as close as I get...
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    hahahahaha!!! My brother's name is Mike. That's about as close as I get...
    LOL! I meant Bish...not you! I know your E-Kit does not need them!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

We get paid, too?
    Weeeell, apparently you don't!

User Info Menu

I don't know how. It's my ekit and a peavy amp.

Not to sound like a noob, but I turned on the camera, turned on the amp and played. Then I watched it back and wanted to barf.

I just downloaded Audacity, since it works on an Intel MAC, but how do I plug the e-kit into the MacBook? The back of the brain has 1/4" L/R mono/stereo out, and midi out.

Is there a midi or 1/4" to usb or fire wire adapter or something?
    CycleDude, you could convert the 1/4" to 1/8" with an adapter, then run from line out on the e-kit to the line in on the Mac. Does that make sense to you?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    CycleDude, you could convert the 1/4" to 1/8" with an adapter, then run from line out on the e-kit to the line in on the Mac. Does that make sense to you?
    I'll have to try that again. I tried that using the MAC's built-in webcam but it didn't work.

Maybe I'll try it with the Garage Band program, save it as an mp4 then sync it to the video with iMovie.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

So you are not in the PC platform?

You need some kind of signal to be able to input the your macbook.

If you have a USB or firewire or PCMCIA slot, you can get adaptors to connect your external gear to compatible gear that must be able to interface with your macbook.

In short, here's what I do.

I have my basic (nothing fancy) laptop and a PCMCIA adaptor card plugged in. From there it connects to (my) MAudio 410 mini-mixer. That device has two inputs in the front. I can connect two XLR cables for mics or 2 quarter in plugs...It's a dual port plugin. On the back is the USB/Firewire connection for the laptop PCMCIA card.

So from the MAudio 410 device you have options.

You can plug your e-drum controller directly into the front jacks using standard quarter inch cables.

Or in my case...

I can also plug in a multi channel mixer to the MAudio jacks, either with quarter inch or XLR.

So you can either go direct with an e-kit as in your case...or from a mixer used to mix down an acoustic kit.

It really comes down to whether or not your PC can accept inputs from other devices.

Now I also have another question. What was so bad out your other recording...specifically?
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I don't know how well this will work but here's the device I am talking about.

Signature here

User Info Menu

So you are not in the PC platform?

You need some kind of signal to be able to input the your macbook.

If you have a USB or firewire or PCMCIA slot, you can get adaptors to connect your external gear to compatible gear that must be able to interface with your macbook.

In short, here's what I do.

I have my basic (nothing fancy) laptop and a PCMCIA adaptor card plugged in. From there it connects to (my) MAudio 410 mini-mixer. That device has two inputs in the front. I can connect two XLR cables for mics or 2 quarter in plugs...It's a dual port plugin. On the back is the USB/Firewire connection for the laptop PCMCIA card.

So from the MAudio 410 device you have options.

You can plug your e-drum controller directly into the front jacks using standard quarter inch cables.

Or in my case...

I can also plug in a multi channel mixer to the MAudio jacks, either with quarter inch or XLR.

So you can either go direct with an e-kit as in your case...or from a mixer used to mix down an acoustic kit.

It really comes down to whether or not your PC can accept inputs from other devices.

Now I also have another question. What was so bad out your other recording...specifically?
    I found some stuff online that would convert 1/4" to USB and go direct into the MAC for about $40. The MAC has Garage band so I'll use that.

What was so bad? The audio was awful. The kit sounds killer in the headphones, but only so-so from the amp. The camcorder's mic just polluted the sound further. You could hear the metalic click click click from my hh pedal cut through everything else.

Plus I had the brain going to the amp and the iPod going to head phones, so I thought I was in time with the song, but I ended up rushing pretty badly coming out of the guitar solo. I thought I was in time. It sounded right while I was playing, but the rushing was very evident on playback.

I realize that the timing is a different issue, but I think I just couldn't hear well enough.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 01-16-2009 at 03:04 PM.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Hmmm i think the sounds probably more to do with the camera than the amp. Although i dont think an amp would give a very good sound (although i dont know about this stuff) i would recommend, as others have said, recording the video on the camera and sound into a PC. Sorry this comment has been pretty pointless but it seems you are getting the stuff to record so cool!

User Info Menu

Why not just run the output of your E-kit directly into the sound in on your camera?

User Info Menu

Bish pretty much said everything I would have suggested, goodluck man, you will turn into a video junkie and soon as you get it down, it happened to me lol.
    FILL YOUR LIFE WITH INSPIRATION TO INSPIRE

DW Collectors - Paragon - Vic Firth -

User Info Menu

I fell asleep reading this thread!!

bloody mumbo jumbo, all this techy geek stuff.

Cycle dude just do like I do and admit defeat.

or find a geeky techy friend.

p.s, I dont have any!!

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post

Cycle dude just do like I do and admit defeat.
    Hahahahahaha!!!!!

Thanks but I did that last night and this morning when my 4 year old kicked my arse at the monster truck video game on the Wii.....
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Angry Re: Frustrated with making a video

Hey cycle dude. I have a macbook and an ekit aswell. All I do is run an 1/8 in cable from the head phone jack into the mic input on the laptop. Then I just record what I'm playing with GarageBand. It was pretty simple and sounded fine.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bjjfighter View Post
    Hey cycle dude. I have a macbook and an ekit aswell. All I do is run an 1/8 in cable from the head phone jack into the mic input on the laptop. Then I just record what I'm playing with GarageBand. It was pretty simple and sounded fine.
    hey that sounds easy!! is garage band a free download? and how easy is the software.? thx man.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bjjfighter View Post
    Really? 'Cause I tried from the audio out in the back of the drum head to the macbook and it didn't work. The only 1/8" input in the MAC Book I can find is where you'd plug in a headset to talk on Skype or something. I tried that, but when I open Garage Band, my only choices are stereo or mono with the built-in mic. It doesn't seem to find what I've plugged in.
    Last edited by CycleDude; 01-18-2009 at 02:47 PM.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    hey that sounds easy!! is garage band a free download? and how easy is the software.? thx man.

Garage band comes with all of the most recent Mac operating systems. If you have a Mac that you have purchased in the last 4 or 5 years its already installed. Im not sure if you can download it for older macs or if the have ported it over to the pc yet.

But to answer the other question its pretty easy to use. As with most programs it does take a few days to sort of get used to the interface but once you figure it out its pretty user friendly.

Really? 'Cause I tried from the audio out in the back of the drum head to the macbook and it didn't work. The only 1/8" input in the MAC Book I can find is where you'd plug in a headset to talk on Skype or something. I tried that, but when I open Garage Band, my only choices are stereo or mono with the built-in mic. It doesn't seem to find what I've plugged in.
    Yeah I plug right into where you would plug a headset in, its right next to the headphone jack. Hmmm interesting my garageband has an option for the mic input.

Ok here is another option i have used too. Download "Audacity" (its a free recording program) and plug in the 1/8" cable as before, this time just record what your playing in audacity. Don't worry about any extra random noise or time at the beginning or end because you can then take that mp3 or whatever you saved your audacity file as and import it into garageband to play with it.

User Info Menu

I say just post the dang video already ! ( we wont laugh at ya )