Thread: A 6 piece kit good for metal?

User Info Menu

Default Thread double posted, pls ignore

EDIT: THREAD HAS BEEN DOUBLE POSTED

Sorry about this, my mistake.. I didn't get the message on my browser that my thread had gone through and was awaiting moderation, I thought my computer had messed up. you will see I have another thread open about this, so please put any further posts in that one. Thanks!
    Last edited by Gabe; 01-17-2009 at 12:32 AM. Reason: Double posted thread

User Info Menu

Default Re: A 6 piece kit good for metal?

A 6 piece would work great for metal. A lot of guys play 7-piece kits (just one more bass). 22" drums are the easiest to find. If you're going to play black/death metal I'd suggest a 20" though, preferably 18" deep. I've heard a lot of guys are moving to 20" in those genres to get more punch and a faster response. I moved to 20" basses to get the toms lower, but I'm loving the sound as well. It sounds like you'd want a 10/12 rack combination with a 14/16 floor tom combination... which is relatively new in popularity so it might be hard to find used. It also sounds like you'd prefer a birch kit over maple.

Which drum company you use is up to you. There's no certain company or line of drums that's better for any one type of music over another.

If you buy used, I wouldn't turn down kits that have hardware and cymbals with them. You can keep the cymbals you like and use whatever the kit comes with to help you decide what you'd like to buy in the future. With the hardware, you can just take the legs off and clamp it to your rack.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47