Thread: Wooden Timbales?

User Info Menu

Default Wooden Timbales?

Has anyone ever played on wood timbales? I've owned steel, brass, and copper, but have never played on a wooden set. I'm considering building a custom set using some red oak stave snare shells 6x13 and 6x14 with wooden rims. I'm thinking I can get a nice warm sound from the red oak and they will compliment my oak congas nicely. Anyone have any experience with wooden timbales? I'm thinking the sound will be warmer with a nice full tone, probably less attack and volume than metal though, which is kinda what I'm after.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Wooden Timbales?

Akira Jimbo plays the Alex Acuna model Yamaha maple timbales. Released in '99
    (http://www.harmony-central.com/Event...-Timbales.html)

Youtube Akira for tons of footage. It sounds good to me without a lot of ring (something I like a bit of in my drums). Also, pro sound men can do wonders.

I don't think there is any way they could sound bad. Go for it and keep us posted.

User Info Menu

Since the 1930's, drum companies like Slingerland were producing limited wood shell timbales wich we could just call concert toms. The difference is in application. Ply shells can delaminate from excessive cascara playing with to heavy of a stick or hard hitting. Gon Bops produced wood stave " Tarolas " which have a sounding block attached to the shells for cascara playing but it is a dense & dull sound compared to metal shell cascara. A single 12" wood shell timbale would be a great add to a drum set for most applications & is acoustically balanced to a drum sets other tom sizes, or a pair of 12" & 13 ". larger timbales are of course possible but matching any timbales to a drum set should be a matter of balancing to the kit rather than just a random addition to a drum set. The rim should be a cold rolled rim rather than a triple flanged rim but it is matter of taste & the drum tuning key vs a 1/2 " tuning nut on a heavy bolt. L bracket tuning lugs create leverage which dents & bends into metal shells & can delaminate wood ply shells. Cast drum lugs are not strong enough for heavy hitting rim shots & higher tuning ranges. Mounting systems of a wood shell timbale should match w/ drum set hard wares for convenience. After considering all the options, I conclude it is best to buy shells from Keller drum shells or Eames drum shells and add whatever hard ware configurations that fit your needs. Beware if weak drum lugs & crude L bracket lugs. I suggest timbale lugs as seen on JCR timbales ( Bronx, N.Y. ) and Rims as well. I recycle concert toms & convert them into timbales / timbalitos. I usualy build my own rims & apply them to affordable 5 Lug Gretsch & Ludwig shells & use eagle claws w/ key rods & use Ludwig clip mounts mounting system. The 6 & 8 lug concert toms can use " Rims " universal mountings w/ added rubber bushings to keep the Rims mountings from swinging too loosely.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Has anyone ever played on wood timbales? I've owned steel, brass, and copper, but have never played on a wooden set. I'm considering building a custom set using some red oak stave snare shells 6x13 and 6x14 with wooden rims. I'm thinking I can get a nice warm sound from the red oak and they will compliment my oak congas nicely. Anyone have any experience with wooden timbales? I'm thinking the sound will be warmer with a nice full tone, probably less attack and volume than metal though, which is kinda what I'm after.
    Oak shells, plywood or wood staves, are not strong enough to endure cascara playing. The soft grain in oak is very poreous and can crack & peel. Maple Keller shells may be a better choice. The head selection should be considered for the tone of the drum since single headed timbales / concert toms / tarolas do not resonate much tone via the shell nor rebound from a bottom head. I love the tone from my 12" Gretsch concert tom added to a 10" Ludwig for use as timbalitos at a wide variety of tunings.
    Last edited by Ernesto Pediangco; 09-14-2011 at 05:15 AM.