Thread: So, I've got a problem...

User Info Menu

Default So, I've got a problem...

It's the same I've had loads of times before.
    When I sit down, I get really discouraged playing my kit. There's something a little wrong about my style at the minute. I don't know. I feel like I'm pushing myself in a direction I'm not particularly wanting to go in.
    Technically, my playing has never been better. Learning ostinatos and finally being able to taste ambidextrous, fully independent drumming is a great feeling. But creatively, I feel like I've taken a few steps back. And with this lack of creativity comes a lack of passion, and I don't find myself enjoying the experience as much.
    Should I listen to more drummers, learn more songs, to try and feed this desire for creativity? I know I've got the technical ability to learn almost any song thrown at me, but haven't really bothered to sit down and learn anything properly lately (I was going to say haven't had the time, but honestly, I've just been slacking and misappropriating my time when it comes to everything). I need this kind of help right now, because my band's starting to write songs and I've got to be as creative as possible to achieve what I want and what I think would be best for the band.
    Go, drumchat, go!
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Default Re: So, I've got a problem...

ETF, it sounds like the typical doldrums that can happen when you're concentrating on getting down something new. You get sort of focused in on the new stuff, and you feel like you're losing touch with your overall skills. I would say just to recognize it for what it is, and know that you'll work through it before you know it. Sometimes, the breakthrough is closer than you think, so don't ever give up, or you might give up right before the breakthrough.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Sometimes, the breakthrough is closer than you think, so don't ever give up, or you might give up right before the breakthrough.
    Truer words were never spoken, PB.

Ethel, from the sounds of it, I'm nowhere near your level of playing, but when I'm waning creatively, sometimes I simply revisit some basic things. Try going over some weird accented 16th note phrases, and moving those accents around the kit. Or working your feet into some fills. It sounds simple, but sometimes those things spark the creativity again. Just my two cents...
    Last edited by bruarm; 01-17-2009 at 06:24 PM.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

I think like most drummers, I am constantly listening to music, and focused on what the drummer is doing in the song. Quite often in doing this I pick up some new fill that I haven't tried, or a different way of doing something. I think there can be a lot of inspiration in learning new things, not necessarily by just trying to think of something new to do - but by listening to what other drummers are doing and adding something new to your repertoire. Once you've picked up something new and gotten it down, you can usually put your own slant on it too.

I hope that makes some sense.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

ETF...I've been a musician for the better part of my life in one way or another. I've been playing the drums for a long time and I spent many years as a high school band director and instrumental music teacher. I've had a lot of students over the years that experienced exactly what you're going through now. One thing I've always told my students is that no matter how difficult a piece of music appeared to be, there was always something within it that made it easier to handle...the Key signature, the tempo, the structure, the melody line etc. etc. The same is true for your problem and this is what I have found out. It's easy to confuse technical ability with simple creativity. What I mean is, we have this misconception that to be monstrously good we have to have monstrous chops. There is nothing wrong with acquiring the Technical ability to be able to handle whatever may come our way BUT that, in and of itself, does not mean we have also acquired Creative genius. Think about it. More often than not, it's the simplest of things that have caught us by surprise. Some of the most outstanding drum solos have been comprised of the simplest of ideas. One of the most exciting drum breaks is the 4 measure accented single stroke roll Buddy Rich did in Love For Sale. He floored people with that and it was nothing but a single stroke roll. The reason it was so damn effective is because few drummers have that kind of speed to do what he did with so basic a Rudiment...single stoke roll. Listen to Steve Gadd. Tremendous drummer with legendary ability. Yet, what makes him so memorable is that he knows how to use that ability with simplicity and grace: 50 Ways To Meet your Lover, AJA etc. Next time you go to You Tube, type in his name and look for his feature with Dave Weckle and Vinnie Colaiuta in the Buddy Rich tribute. Dave and Vinnie are all over their kits with an ability I could never hope to achieve. But, it was Steve Gadd who brought the house down with "Army cadence" style of playing. So, what you are experiencing ETF, is nothing different from what the great ones did. It's a progressive level that you are on. So, what do you do? You now bring back the Basics that you learned long ago and incorporate in with your ability to play. Do not try to impress yourself with longs rolls on 2500 toms. Use those rudiments and the technical aspect much as Steve Gadd did when he first discovered that he could use the single paradiddle as the basis for his signature "Grooves." Simplicity and Grace with the Technical ability to pull it off...and you can do it.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I've gone through the same thing. As mentioned previously, go back to the basics, stick a heavy groove, tight in the pocket. Nothing real technical but very much about feel.

User Info Menu

that happens to me sometimes as well. i dont really see creativity coming from a rudiment thats been layed down years and years ago as it just doesnt apeal to me. i love to just play things i know then on fills during a song il just do something random. i might have never played it before and fall in love with it and then play it loads and memorise it. or i might do something i learn many many time ago. the point is i just play songs and my hands and feet do the rest on their own. try it and see how you fair. you'd be surprised at what your hands and feet want to do in the context of a song
    Paiste Posse

making a snare drum. any advice would be greatly appreciated! pm me if you could help at all.

BRAIN ANEURISM!

User Info Menu

Go to some open jam nights and play some music that you dont normally play.

User Info Menu

I say, just keep it simple at the start. It should get you out of that rut and gain more interest or confidence knowing that you did not mess the song. With your ablity it is likely that when you get familiar with the songs, you'll get bored and start adding complexity to your playing. You'll be back to your old self before you know it. Good luck.

User Info Menu

I think that your band getting into new stuff will re-spark your creativity. Sit down and jam with them. You should be good to go after that.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47