Page 11 of 45 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: PDP Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Drums Discussion

Thanks Jay! I'm loving this kit! Just put Remo Ebony's on the bottoms and Remo Emperor's on the tops, and WOW! They sound awesome!
    Thanks Dave! The color is even better in person. I'm so glad I got this kit!

dave0549jv Guest

Hey Mr Tama!
    I found a set of Platinums for sale at GC today. 6 piece (22,10,12,14,14,16) Absolutely beautiful satin finish, similar to KKustoms's kit in color. $999.

If only i had an extra grand lying around, it seems like a pretty awesome deal. they probably wont be there next time i go in.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dave0549jv View Post
    Hey Mr Tama!
    I found a set of Platinums for sale at GC today. 6 piece (22,10,12,14,14,16) Absolutely beautiful satin finish, similar to KKustoms's kit in color. $999.

If only i had an extra grand lying around, it seems like a pretty awesome deal. they probably wont be there next time i go in.
    That's one heck of a deal!
    DW Collector's Series ~ Zildjian cymbals

User Info Menu

Was it one of the old finishes? Pdp redid the finishes for the Platinum series. So maybe its cheaper because they want to clear out stock for the new ones. I really wanted a Camo Glass kit, but they scrapped that finish, so maybe I can find one used for cheap.

User Info Menu

Wow, that is a great price! Mine were $999.00, but only for the 4 drums, 12, 14, 16, 22 kick.

User Info Menu

I got a used (but just barely) CX set about 2 months ago for $300. These drums still had the "All Maple Shells" stickers on them when I got them. Absolutely love the sound I get out of these with 2-Ply coated tops and single-ply clear bottoms. I was able to order the 16'' Floor tom and 8'' rack tom from Guitar Center (only PDP dealer in my area) for really cheap ($130 for the floor, $70 for the 8''). The only sign of wear was on the bass drum there is a couple of small scratches because the guy before me didn't keep the toms off the bass. Other then that, practically brand new. So, yeah, I'm pretty excited!

User Info Menu

i absolutely love my pdp kit. i have a pdp fs series with the added 16 floor and a second kick.with evans g2s on toms aquarian skII and a pearl joey jordison snare its a killer set.

User Info Menu

Are the shells on the older CX series the same shells that are on the new Platinum series? I believe the only difference are the lugs and the finishes. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Thanks. John

User Info Menu

As far as I can tell when I see the platinum series in the store, the shells and the lugs are the same as my CX. Only the finish looks different.

User Info Menu

the shells on the platinums are 8ply keller maple shells, not the chinese maple like they used before. it would be hard to tell the difference though unless you had two drums from both series with identical heads and tunings. i miss my old platinums!
    ZildjianLeague/LP/Aquarian/Mapex/Pearl
    Snares: 4
    RIP- Frank, Wolvie, Les Paul
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearl MCX Man View Post
    I wish I was your wife
    Quote Originally Posted by amdrummer View Post
    if double bass is cheating then so is using two sticks

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

The practice kit, PDP CX.

DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Russ, I'm almost positive that my CX's shells are North American maple. I don't understand why PDP would use Keller shells when DW makes their own shells. John

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post
    I love those stands
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by RHD03 View Post

You really made out on that deal, didn't you, Scott?

Way to go man. Those look so good!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    I love those stands
    Thanks bro

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    You really made out on that deal, didn't you, Scott?

Way to go man. Those look so good!
    Yes I did! They just needed a little TLC is all, and they sound twice as good as they look!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

Nice CX kit RHD! I may be getting the chance to jam with some MX's this summer with a band, but we shall see..
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by john gerrard View Post
    Russ, I'm almost positive that my CX's shells are North American maple. I don't understand why PDP would use Keller shells when DW makes their own shells. John
    I'm with JG on this one...but if someone knows for sure (documentation) that would be great. Although, I guess it doesn't matter really as my set sounds killer either way.

User Info Menu

I changed all the heads to Remo coated except the snare (not sure what i want to use there)
    I didnt use a remo coated on the base,I used a Remo powerstroke 3 clear

User Info Menu

That's an absolutely beautiful kit Allan! It looks so much better that the stock picture that I saw on your post when you were considering it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Nice kit aunkster! Nice finish.

User Info Menu

Thanks

User Info Menu

Wow those look really nice! Interesting set up idea as well.
    I wish I was your wife

Forum Rules
    DrumBum
    No metronome?
    The Rudiments

User Info Menu

Stunning finish, Aunkster.

I really like that kit a lot!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I had a set of PDP fs birch drums. I got them at a steal at Guitar Center. They were leaps above what I had before. I liked them. They were good drums for me and I have a special place in my drum Heart for the PDP line of drums. They served me well during the time I had them.
    I would still have them expect for the deal I got on a set of Gretsch Catalina maples.

Just my .02
    Mike
    I love the look and sound of a quality drum set.
    Gretsch is my choice.

Gretsch Catalina Maple 5pc. in Red Lacquer
    Pearl P 902 double pedal
    Cymbals: Paiste Alpha 21" groove ride, 18" Paiste 3000 medium crash, 16" Paiste Alpha medium crash, 14" Paiste Alpha sound edge hi hats, Sabian Xs20 16" crash
    Hardware: A mix of what works.
    VINTAGE 1979 LUDWIG ACROLITE SNARE DRUM 5 x 14"

VINTAGE 1972 SLINGERLAND COB GENE KRUPA SOUND KING 51/2 x 14"

Fullstop Guest

My first kit was an LX Red Fusion Kit. 8.0 Hardware. I fell in love with it from the first time I played her in the store.

Actually...I take that back. I had a Chameleon Kit for a short time while I lived with my Grandfather. That played well too. It was perfect. I'm still sad they discontinued it. Bastards! :(

My red kit, sadly went through a car crash. My bass player was hauling his cabs, and the monitors as well as my kit. It was in bags, but that didn't help the toms. He was going around a curve and a huge suv came around on his side, flipped him and he landed on my toms. It tossed my Bell Brass Lars Ulrich over the hill. It was in a soft case as well. We found it pretty easy...which was funny because he broke trees down. It was just out of tune.

After that, I proceeded to get just a quick, cheap pearl export to get us through gigs, and I sold what was rest of my Pacific kit. The insurance company didn't give us near what it cost.

After my band decided to take a long break, I just quit playing.

About two months ago it was time to get a new kit, because we were bringing it back. I was thinking of all these other kits...I just couldn't do it. I fell back and Got a beautiful Pacific LX 7pc in a red sparkle finish.

I swore I'd never get a sparkle kit. I hated sparkle. My 6 year old daughter talked me into it, and I talked the salesmen down quite a bit as well. It's grown on me quite a bit. You just can't beat the quality of the kit for the money! I use tama hardware (Stands, and pedals), and Zildjian cymbals...just my perfect sound.

They bring the sound unlike any other kit I've heard. It's great for practice. Great for live gigs. Great for recording.

I had to order it because I couldn't find it in any stores, but I proudly sport my PDP hat. Love my kit.