I loved it so much I orderd my gigging collectors kit in it
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Drums Discussion

hey is it true they are turning the x7 line into all maple?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    hey is it true they are turning the x7 line into all maple?
    Where'd you hear that?
    Still poplar as far as I know..I would think they'd stay that way to remain at the same price point. -Les

User Info Menu

do they make the cx anymore? im in need of a good 8 piece red sparkle maple kit
    Check online at sigler music center. They had 'em for like $599 for a 5pc. with house brand HW. -Les

User Info Menu

hey does anyone know if the 14x11, and 16x13 sizes of the platinums are out, how and where to get them, and if they are rack or floor toms?

User Info Menu

Can any of you give your opinion on this deal?

I am going to discuss it with my financial manager tonight and possibly go check it out tomorrow. The $550 includes the shells pictured in the ad, the hardware for the toms, the snare stand and a padded bag for the 8" tom. The sizes are 8, 10, 12, 14, and 16" toms (not sure of all them, but there is 16x14, 14x14), 22x18" bass, 14" snare (not sure of depth, but it looks to be about 4-5".

He states they are in excellent shape, used to play in a church band in Murfreesboro, TN (PB, you know this guy?). Looks promising, but I was hoping someone here could possibly identify the series, and possibly name that finish for me. He said it starts out kind of dark grey with some purple fading to pearl white at the ends. Anyway, any help is appreciated.

Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Looks like a good deal to me, Lagerhead!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Where'd you hear that?
    Still poplar as far as I know..I would think they'd stay that way to remain at the same price point. -Les

it was from someone who posted something in the pearl drum forum. x7 is soon to be an all maple but still 7 piece kit, platinums soon to have the option of having black or chrome hardware on any finish, and the dw collector's series is supposedly going to be made by pacific soon. dont shoot the messanger

User Info Menu

I got them! When I saw the finish on the drums, it was a done deal. You can see them in the "Show us your drums" thread, complete with a link to my flickr slideshow. Love 'em. Thanks for the advice guys.
    Robert

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

User Info Menu

those were dynamite looking

User Info Menu

it was from someone who posted something in the pearl drum forum. x7 is soon to be an all maple but still 7 piece kit, platinums soon to have the option of having black or chrome hardware on any finish, and the dw collector's series is supposedly going to be made by pacific soon. dont shoot the messanger
    If that's true, good move by pdp. Filling the hole left by the departure of the CX/LX line. I have noticed that X7s are availble in wrap finishes as well.
    As far as shooting the messenger..I shoot foam bullets from a nerf gun. -Les

User Info Menu

at least its not the football. FATALITY

User Info Menu

Just got my first set of PDP's - MX - here they are.

Need some input on the snare. What heads give it the best sound. I play mostly rock.drums pdp 010.jpg

drums pdp 008.jpg

drums pdp 011.jpg

User Info Menu

Wow! Nice kit finfan! Looks to me like you have the snare drum head of choice (IMO) already installed.. You may wanna try an Aquarian HiEnergy or maybe a Evans HD dry.. I personally love the Remo CS reverse dot coated! Are those remo pins on the toms? -Les Oh yeah... welcome to DrumChat!

User Info Menu

Love the purple.
    As for you question, Evans g2 coated snare head is awesome for just about any genre of music.

User Info Menu

you really already have it all goin the right way.

User Info Menu

the purple almost makes it feel gothic, is that black hardware?

User Info Menu

Beautiful kit FinFan!

User Info Menu

Just picked them up on Saturday. Saw them on craigs list. They had a Aquarian Satin finish on the snare. It sounded bad. I took the Remo CS off my other snare and what a difference. I also tuned it very tight. Looking for a very dry crack on the snare. I had an extra set of Remo coated weatherking's - pinstripe - so I put them on and the toms sound very good. I'm still working on the tuning.

Gothic is the perfect word. I wasn't sure I was going to like the purple but they look very cool. A great looking kit for the bars. I can't wait to mic the kick at the next gig. No black hardware - just the black rubber around the hardware.

User Info Menu

Anyone owned an X7 - i've been looking at them - but not sure of the wood type being that hybrid poplar thing that they are. I want something that is live/gig quality - what do you guys think?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    Anyone owned an X7 - i've been looking at them - but not sure of the wood type being that hybrid poplar thing that they are. I want something that is live/gig quality - what do you guys think?
    I had one for a while..and they are great sounding and very nicely built kits!
    They are made of poplar and have a sound that most closely resembles birch in tone and timbre. I liked the 7 pc 3up, 2 down configuration..very versatile!
    I have used them for mic'd and un mic'd gigs as well as recorded with them without a bad thing to say! Just a nice kit! -Les

User Info Menu

finfandrummer,

Congratulations on the new PDPs'. Great looking set.

Cheers,
    John
    "No Sharezies!"

User Info Menu

Very nice looking PDP kit FinFan! You'll have to give us a review after you gig 'em.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I currently own an X7. I really like the way it sounds. I wasn't sure on the poplar as well, but I agree with Les on the sound. Even with the stock heads, which I am still using, they sound sweet. Of course the stock heads are basically clear Ambassadors.
    I really like the versatility the 7 piece gives me too. I can set it up in just about any configuration I need. And the 8" tom is a new experience for me. It has really been a welcome addition. I think I am going to go for similar configurations in the future.

Oh, and great looking set, FinFan. I love the purple with white heads. Very cool look.
    Robert

User Info Menu

i hear great reviews, theyre a great sounding kit especially if you(like me) need a lot of drums and a low price tag. you might also try the fs series