Page 32 of 45 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: PDP Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Drums Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    I'm EXTREMELY dissapointed not sure with SKB or PDP but I ordered my last Tom case and again it does not fit.

My 8" fits like crap, my 10, 12, 16 fit fine. And my 14" won't fit at all. I'm so frustrated about it.
    I bought my SKB cases back when I had my Recording Customs. While there were no problems fitting the RC toms (because the YESS mount is so slim), I knew my proclivity to swap drums and I knew that some future drums might not fit. So I purchased my cases one size larger than the toms on the RC kit. Ie, on all the rack toms, whose mounting system might vary when I swapped kits, I just purchased 13" cases for the 12" toms, 12" cases for the 10" toms, etc.. I'm glad I did. Everything I've owned since has fit just fine.

Regarding converting your floor toms to suspension toms, I've seen some guys do this by using the tom leg mounts as suspension mounts. They simply used a rack attachment with the same size rod as their floor tom legs. I remember in one case the owner turned his floor toms upside down so the tom mounting bracket would be toward the top of the drum. In any case, you would avoid holes in the shells, and you could convert the toms back and forth between floor and suspended.

Keep us updated on how you proceed. Pics, too, please!

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post
    I bought my SKB cases back when I had my Recording Customs. While there were no problems fitting the RC toms (because the YESS mount is so slim), I knew my proclivity to swap drums and I knew that some future drums might not fit. So I purchased my cases one size larger than the toms on the RC kit. Ie, on all the rack toms, whose mounting system might vary when I swapped kits, I just purchased 13" cases for the 12" toms, 12" cases for the 10" toms, etc.. I'm glad I did. Everything I've owned since has fit just fine.

Regarding converting your floor toms to suspension toms, I've seen some guys do this by using the tom leg mounts as suspension mounts. They simply used a rack attachment with the same size rod as their floor tom legs. I remember in one case the owner turned his floor toms upside down so the tom mounting bracket would be toward the top of the drum. In any case, you would avoid holes in the shells, and you could convert the toms back and forth between floor and suspended.

Keep us updated on how you proceed. Pics, too, please!

GeeDeeEmm
    That is a super great idea about using the floor tom leg as an attachment. And if you do flip it upside down (being I have two floor toms) the placement and height would match.

User Info Menu

So I talked to SKB... Turns out it's on my side the fault is. In my ordering book the only 12x14 listed says tom. But apparently a full SKB dealer can get both "tom" and "floor tom" in a 12x14. Because we aren't a full dealer and we go through Harris Teller I cannot get the 12x14 floor tom. So I'm going to order a 14x14 "floor tom" which is wider to provide more room for the 3 legs. So the case will be taller than needed but the floor tom will fit properly.

User Info Menu

Got my rack together

Still have some fine tweaking to do but so far I love it. Went back to a 3 across top and 2 bottom. Before I did 2 on top, 1 on left and 2 on right.

Also this came in for me today

What is it? My new SKB bass drum case indeed.

User Info Menu

Lookin' good!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I love the color on your drumset. Are you using a straight or curved front bar? Most guys here report that using the curved bar allows closer placement and more usable incrementals. And one other note, somewhere over the last month or so, there was a thread discussing the placement of the tom arms so that they do not hide the drums while making the drum logo badges more prominent. Somebody here may remember where that thread is.

Good going, though. It'll probably take you weeks before you finally find the exact setup worthy of locking in the collar locks. Please continue posting pics of your progress.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I love the color on your drumset. Are you using a straight or curved front bar? Most guys here report that using the curved bar allows closer placement and more usable incrementals. And one other note, somewhere over the last month or so, there was a thread discussing the placement of the tom arms so that they do not hide the drums while making the drum logo badges more prominent. Somebody here may remember where that thread is.

Good going, though. It'll probably take you weeks before you finally find the exact setup worthy of locking in the collar locks. Please continue posting pics of your progress.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Lovely kit spaz
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gdmoore28 View Post

GeeDeeEmm

It's a straight bar across the front. I will continue to adjust it as I'm not 100% happy with it. But on a positive note...

Picked up a new Popcorn snare drum

User Info Menu

Nice snare.
    Conrad

User Info Menu

Very excited I picked up a PDP rack with 11 clamps and 5 cymbal holders last night! Pictures are blurry but when I set it up I'll retake them.

User Info Menu

With new matching rack installed

Sorry photos are dark.. during practice next week I'll take some pics with the stage lights on. Iphones do awful in the dark and my phone camera stopped working.

User Info Menu

That curved rack does the trick visually. Nice. I think keeping that front bar low across the bass drum is the answer to the visual objections I've always had for racks.

Looking forward to some pics under the lights.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

I just got a price on one of these kits. I'm looking at 14x26 kick, 9x13 Tom, 16x16 and 16x18 fl toms. I'm going to sell one of my X7 kits and pick ne if these up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by NPYYZ View Post
    I just got a price on one of these kits. I'm looking at 14x26 kick, 9x13 Tom, 16x16 and 16x18 fl toms. I'm going to sell one of my X7 kits and pick ne if these up.

Nice, whats the price?
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Very nice looking kit. 'All natural' always works and looks sharp.

Tex

User Info Menu

Man, the contrasting wood hoops all around looks killer! Gonna hafta keep that in mind when I design my custom kit...in my dreams!
    Love the size choices, too. Perfect Bonham.
    Proudly playing:
    Doc Sweeney Drums
    A bunch of snares
    A bunch of cymbals

Off-Set double pedals

I think I love to play the drums simply because you get to hit 'em!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MDK View Post
    Nice, whats the price?
    For the 4 drums, $1300.00.

User Info Menu

nice price tag

User Info Menu

For the 4 drums, $1300.00.
    Not bad!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickthedrummer View Post
    There is intelligent life out there. The problem is that there isn't any here.

-Mike

User Info Menu

Cool, looks vintage

User Info Menu

Well I did sell one of my X7 kits, however I was not able to get the vintage concept kit yet. Unfortunately I had to sink $900.00 into getting my work van fixed so there goes the kit money . Oh well maybe by summers end.

Here's what's left of my X7 kit. It's been an adjustment getting used to the double pedal, but I'm not using a ton of double kick now anyway.

User Info Menu

setting it up like Neil Peart?

User Info Menu

I can't help myself, NPYYZ, I never get tired of looking at that kit. You know how to make 'em look good, my friend.

GeeDeeEmm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    setting it up like Neil Peart?
    Yeah I was using the traditional one up two down 5 piece set up for the past month. I wanted to keep that foundation so it made sense to add the smaller toms going up the hill so to speak.