Page 3 of 45 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: PDP Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Drums Discussion

another question about the pdp kits - are they using ball joint mounts for their toms?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    another question about the pdp kits - are they using ball joint mounts for their toms?
    Yes... -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    Yes... -Les
    Couldn't have said it better myself Les!
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

i think they always have. some of their inexpensive hardware is bad, other stuff they make is really good. but their drums are up to par, perhaps over

User Info Menu

After being away from playing for a few years I decided to get back into it. So I needed a set that didn't cost a arm and a leg. I bought a set of used FS series that I really liked but found a set of CX's used really cheap so I traded in the FS's for the maple kit. I have owned Pearl,Tama,Ludwig and Rogers and Premier,all of them being top end kits or top intermediate kits. The CX's are as good or better than all of the other sets I have owned. I have the standard fusion kit but I bought a used 16X14 floor tom and recovered it to match the red sparkle kit. I'm using Evans G-plus heads on the toms and a Evans E-Mad on the kick and the set sounds great. John

User Info Menu

i just got the platinum lacquer snare.. thing's a dynamo, ill get some pics up soon!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    i just got the platinum lacquer snare.. thing's a dynamo, ill get some pics up soon!
    Pics NOW! What finish did you go with?? Doesn't pdp have a couple of different finish veneer options for the lacquered kits? -Les

User Info Menu

its the one called silver to black fade.. imma get some pics as soon as i find a camera and figure out how to use it- its a beaut

User Info Menu

sounds real nice MD
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

its real exciting, my first maple snare made by someone other than me that i feel i can rely on. once i tuned it right and got the strainer loose enough, its good. next i wanna try something deeper like 7x14. im such a snare whore

User Info Menu

I'm sure the pdp platinum is a fine drum..and this is a pdp discussion thread, however, my Mapex BP premium birdseye is without a doubt the best sounding most versatile (sick tuning range) snare drum that I have crossed paths with in nearly 34 years now. I think Mapex is making some of the finest sounding snare drums in the mass market today. sorry, I'll shut up about Mapex now. -Les

User Info Menu

i value your opinion. but are you saying pdp isnt versatile? its at a pretty good price for a high end kit. i originally thought mapex this and mapex that too, but i just gave it a try and realized it was this very drum series that would allow me to sound good while staying in a certain favorable budget. i may end up returning the snare to save for my SJC kit, but i honestly cant complain about this snare so far

User Info Menu

I'm sure the pdp platinum is a fine drum..and this is a pdp discussion thread, however, my Mapex BP premium birdseye is without a doubt the best sounding most versatile (sick tuning range) snare drum that I have crossed paths with in nearly 34 years now. I think Mapex is making some of the finest sounding snare drums in the mass market today. sorry, I'll shut up about Mapex now. -Les
    Les, what are your thoughts on Mapex?
    Kits
    DW Performance(white marine): 8x7/10x8/12x9/16x14/22x18
    Mapex Saturn III(transparent walnut): 10x8/12x9/16x16/22x18/14x5.5

Snares
    Pork Pie 14x7 Cherry/Bubinga
    Pork Pie 14x6.5 Big Black Bob
    Mapex Saturn 14x5.5 Maple/Walnut
    Homemade 14x5.5 Maple(10 ply Keller)

Cymbals
    Sabian
    14" AA regular hats
    10" AAX splash
    16" AAX Xplosion fast crash
    18" AAX Xplosion fash crash
    16" HH thin crash
    20" HHX stage ride

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    Well..funny you should ask mkenn..as I see it............ -Les

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mkennedy View Post
    Well..funny you should ask mkenn..as I see it............ -Les
    Here we go again... LOL!!!
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

"And the seasons they go round and round
    And the painted ponies go up and down
    Were captive on the carousel of time
    We cant return we can only look behind
    From where we came
    And go round and round and round
    In the circle game"

HT to Joni Mitchell
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

when did this become a mapex thread

User Info Menu

when did this become a mapex thread
    Ask Les...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

do you guys hate pdp cause i bought one

User Info Menu

If PDP is workin' for you man...that's cool.. I have played a pdp kit and Mr. Bish has owned one..They, among other brands are good drums. I just happen to think that Mapex BP snares are a vastly better, more versatile instrument than the pdp plats...Just my opinion. These guys know what I think about Mapex drums and were jokingly egg'ing me on to make alittle sarcastic humor.

-Les Let's see some pix of this new snare dude! What are you waiting for? You have us all on the edges of our thrones!!

User Info Menu

I emailed DW to ask if there was any possiblity of getting an 8" add-on tom to match my PDP kit. They can't do it because they don't get Kurillian Birch veneer anymore (not even as a DW product), but the guy was really nice about it.
    Matter of fact, he sent me a free T-Shirt & sticker just for asking!
    Their customer service is killer; I don't think they really care if you bought DW or PDP, they treat you just the same!!!

User Info Menu

Hey, MD, there are a lot of excellent quality percussion products out there and with a little luck and some cash you can find exactly what you want/need/like.

I don't think anyone hates PDP. It for sure would have nothing to do with you owning that or any other product or piece of goods. We all have opinions and are lucky enough we can state them here.

I have had two kits so I can't say I hate them. I owned a CX birch first about 5 years ago and loved it but still had in "interest" in what else was out there.

I actually bought my Mapex MBirch before I got my CX's sold. From that point forward, I had to know what was to be had by spending more dollars. Sometimes it panned out sometimes it didn't. Spending almost twice the price of CX's on the Platinums did nothing but change the tone by going from birch to maple.

IMHO my Pearl Masters blew away the Platinums. Even my SONORS have a better "maple" sound than the Platinums and they were less expensive. You might disagree. That's okay. It comes down to personal preference.

If you own it and like it, play it. If you own it and don't like it sell it. If you don't own it then you still have RnD to complete to increase your overall knowledge.

Bottom line, who cares what anyone else thinks? You have to like it to be satisfied.

Enjoy your gear or keep searching until you find what makes you .
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Excellent post there, Bish.

MD - I'm sure you've noticed by now that we bust chops here alot, but it's all in fun. There's no haters.

Truth be told, I was hemming and hawing over 3 drum kits, that were all vastly different. yet in similar price points +/- $100. I researched the Ludwig accent "Zep set" which is on close-out for just shy of $900 online. Also the PDP X7 and the Gretsch Catalina Maples which are about $750-800.

I have always been a fan of Luddies and John Bonham so the Zep set was a natural choice. Plus I think 26" kicks look so cool. However, every drum kit I ever owned always had those bigger power toms. I longed for smaller faster toms, and the PDP X7 have just that with the 8, 10 & 12 rack toms. Plus, they are pretty much baby D-dubbs.

As for shell material, I have wanted a maple kit since I was a teen. I also wanted a laquer finish instead of a wrap. I'm just not convinced that a wrap doesn't affect the sound and resonance of a drum shell. Besides, I want something new, not the same-ol same-ol, and my remos and Yammies before that were both wraps. My current luds are acrylics.

The Zep set is "selected hardwood" whatever that means, I think we discovered it was mahogany/poplar, and the X7 is also a similar blend. Both the Zep and the X7 are wrapped finishes only.

So given my criteria, the Gretsch Cat Maples are the kit for me in my budget. Doesn't mean they are better or worse than anything else, but they are MY choice.

In the end the drums don't make the drummer, the drummer makes the drums.
    Kevin
    24/12/16 6.5x14

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CycleDude View Post
    Excellent post there, Bish.

In the end the drums don't make the drummer, the drummer makes the drums.
    Great post yourself, CD.

On a side note, my drums are still waiting for the right drummer.
    Signature here