Page 43 of 45 FirstFirst ... 334142434445 LastLast
Results 1,051 to 1,075 of 1111

Thread: PDP Drums Discussion

User Info Menu

Default Re: PDP Drums Discussion

I could not resist the deal I got on these... the guy even drove an hour to drop them off at my work to seal the deal...

PDP Classic Maples 22 kick, 13" high tom, 16" floor tom.
    I'm looking online to find the matching 18" floor tom to make it a 1 up 2 down.

User Info Menu

Yup, It's just finished and you already need a bigger room. I'd be curious to hear your impressions on the difference in sound with triple flange hoops vs the wood singles.
    Last edited by noreastbob; 11-15-2019 at 01:24 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by noreastbob View Post
    Yup, It's just finished and you already need a bigger room. I'd be curious to hear your impressions on the difference in sound with triple flange hoops vs the wood singles.
    So far the stock heads are giving me a little fight. But the tones are very bright and warm.
    Tuning has been a little more challenging, I definitely need to swap out the stock heads.

User Info Menu

*****pics****????
    Ludwig Classic Maple 22x16,10x8,12x9,16x16
    7" Moon Gel Practice Pad
    Sabian HHX Legacy

Decide whether this is love for the craft or simply an ego thing

http://www.redskymary.com/ NOT MY BAND, JUST A GREAT LOCAL BAND WHO SHOULD BE SOOO MUCH BIGGER IMO

User Info Menu

Looks at Zach's signature, does quick math....132 drums in signature....holy hell! Zach you need a separate house (or barn) just for your drums, not just a drum room!
    Gretsch USA Custom 22x18, 12x9, 13x10, 14x14, 16x16, 14x5.5 Rosewood Zildjian 14" New Beats, Zildjian 20" A Medium Ride, Sabian 18" Paragon Crash, Zildjian 16" Medium Thin Crash Tama Iron Cobra Single Pedal

Pearl Masters Studio Birch (MBX) 22x16, 10x10, 12x10, 13x11, 16x16, 14x6.5 in White Mist. Zildjian A Custom Hats, Sabian 22 AA with Rivets, Stagg 20" Ghengis Ride, Dream Contact Crashes 16" & 17" Pearl P2002B Double Bass Pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by OldeEnglishD View Post
    Looks at Zach's signature, does quick math....132 drums in signature....holy hell! Zach you need a separate house (or barn) just for your drums, not just a drum room!
    I think through the remodel he figured out how to take over the entire basement without a whimper from the opposition. Well done, Zach. As I recall, mine were the same stain as your hoops. I tend to prefer the darker finishes. Maybe that's my next weakness. Admitting I never had light stained drums. Hmmmmmm I must go....looking.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

You spaz.

Totally awesome kit.

Have your producer give me a call....we need to discuss framing.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

So, i made snare drum from that 13" tom. I wanted a big low tuned side snare, and i like the result. I usually test new equipment by making a drum cover, it is a great way how to learn record, mix, film and edit stuff, but here you can see that "snom" in action.

User Info Menu

Funny I had a guy write me asking about converting his tom into a snare drum also. Same tom

Whats your tuning and head choice for your kick?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by SpazApproved View Post
    Funny I had a guy write me asking about converting his tom into a snare drum also. Same tom

Whats your tuning and head choice for your kick?
    Stock reso and some unknown clear batter head. I want to change them. Tuning - loose as posible front and back, and some cloth in the bassdrum.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by princesite132 View Post
    Stock reso and some unknown clear batter head. I want to change them. Tuning - loose as posible front and back, and some cloth in the bassdrum.
    I've been messing with the tuning over and over and even swapped the batter head/reso head and ported it and I still can't get something I like.
    I'll keep experimenting

User Info Menu

On a 5x14 CX Series made in Mexico, maple shell snare I have put on a HD Dry head, 20 strand PureSounds and an S-Hoop. Now has a dry, woody sound. This particular drum likes to be tuned tight. Try what I have done to the snare, I think you'll be pleased. The snare has been cured of all its ills.

User Info Menu

Well....pulled the trigger on a new Concept Bop kit. Having already owned a Concept Maple, I know the quality will be good. These new ones are supposed to be made from “harder European Maple”, so I’m anxious to see how they sound. I was looking for a quality Maple bop kit to gig with, in an eye-catching finish and at a reasonable price. These things seemed to fit the bill. Should arrive this week.
    52AEA9C5-F554-4F27-A35D-487B61570D29.jpg
    -Brian

"Too many crappy used drum stuff to list"

Play the SONG......not the DRUMS!!!

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

is that the color you went with? I've been debating one also for small gigs with my Dad. I take a homemade bop kit but would love something better.

User Info Menu

Yep...satin olive. For some bizarre reason, that color really turns my crank, LOL.
    I guess because it’s different and stands out.

Only one “sweet” place that I could find that offers that color. They been out of stock for months, but I had it reserved...now they’re out again, LOL. The still had some available in Seafoam green that I seriously considered, but the olive stands out more.

I’m also anxious to see if it has the STM mount like all other PDP Concepts, or if it just has the tom mount bolted to the shell like in the picture.
    -Brian

"I think that feeling is a lot more important than technique. It's all very well doing a triple paradiddle - but who's going to know you've done it? If you play technically you sound like everybody else. It's being original that counts." ~ John Bonham

User Info Menu

Well, they arrived today.
    They are sweeeeet! I would say the quality of the hardware and shells is even better than the last Concept Maple kit I had. The 12” tom did indeed come with a suspension mount. I can definitely tell they are a better quality of Maple. They’re as good as the Ludwigs Centennials I have (which are North American Maple). Bearing edges And craftsmanship are perfect. PDP hit it out of the park on this one. For under $550, it’s Insane.
    Now, my ONLY complaint; PDP must assemble/package all their 12” toms as intended for use on a 5pc kit with 10/12/16FT. The STM mount is positioned so the badge is facing forward when the mount is on the left. When installed on a 3pc kit, the badge faces the throne and the seam in the wrap is facing the audience. Not a big deal, but I’ll have to disassemble it and reinstall it on the opposite side.
    I’ll post more as I get everything assembled and take it for a spin.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

oh good catch on the STM mount and facing. I bet they do keep it one way for other kit variations.

User Info Menu

I messed with them a little more at work today (they’re in my office). I bought all new heads for them, but I want to rub down the inside of the shells with Linseed oil first.

The more I mess with them, the more impressed I am.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

So what's the benefit of doing the inside shell with the oil?

User Info Menu

Not much really. It helps seal the wood to protect it from moisture. Since we play outdoor gigs, it’s an added precaution. I’ve had my drums rained on before. Plus, when we play outside gigs in high humidity it’s common to get heavy condensation inside the drums. It also makes the woodgrain stand out and gives the wood a nice sheen.

Some say when the oil is absorbed it fills the empty voids in the wood, giving it a brighter sound and the sonic properties of a denser wood.
    That may be true, but I doubt it has that much of an effect on sound.
    -Brian

User Info Menu

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I know we have DW but we don't have PDP. I know a few members own PDP's and they offer some nice configurations, finishes and layouts.

So let's see what you have or had...

Here's my CX series. This is actually the first new kit I'd purchased since the mid 90's.

We do not have DW. Forget that. On my cx series 5c14 wood snare maple, I have a HD Dry head, PureSounds 20 strand and a S -Hoop. Tune it high. Incredible dry woody tone. Yes, you need to do all that. Throw every trick on the book at the drum and you got it. I'm a 72 year old drummer. I have played every snare under the sun, trust me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I know we have DW but we don't have PDP. I know a few members own PDP's and they offer some nice configurations, finishes and layouts.

So let's see what you have or had...

Here's my CX series. This is actually the first new kit I'd purchased since the mid 90's.

We do not have DW. Forget that. On my cx series 5 x14 wood snare maple, I have a HD Dry head, PureSounds 20 strand and a S -Hoop. Tune it high. Incredible dry woody. Yes, you need to do all that. Throw every trick in the book at the drum and you got it. I'm a 72 year old drummer. I have played every snare under the sun, trust me.

User Info Menu

Then there is another................ Bit like buses, Never owned a PDP then two come along at the same time

Concept Maple in Pearlescent White Lacquer. Really impressed with the quality of this kit. Great shells & hardware. Haven't hit it yet so no idea of it's sound. A kit I would happily keep

99394D8F-689C-456C-8B99-8E957080F7A0_1_201_a by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    4F3E940B-DB0A-42D0-A907-3A5AD7FD83C1_1_201_a by Kevin Frost, on Flickr
    The Varukers.