Thread: I can't play!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Default I can't play!!!!!!

Ok check this out this is really messed up!!!!!!

I was perscribed anti depressents (Zoloft) back in Aug. I was taking them up untill about 2-3 weeks ago when I stopped taking them because the side effects were messing with me mostly insomnia.

Anyways since stopping the Zoloft I can't play drums anymore.

I can't keep a simple 4/4 beat and where as before I really could improvise fairly well and jam out and with the music I "felt" it and things would just flow and everything seemed to mesh together like when I heard the music I "FELT" the music. It was like the music and I were like gelled together. I am sure you guys know what I mean.

Anyways yeah since I been off the Zoloft I can't play it is like my foucus and concentration is not there or something and I don't "feel" the music.

I do not like this :-(

I really doubt anyone hase esxperienced this one but man this sucks and I don't think it is just a case of not "feeling" it because I have been trying to play for a good 2 weeks now and I just don't feel it when I sit at the kit.

I am very sad :-(
    Last edited by Lil drummerboy71; 01-18-2009 at 10:44 AM. Reason: Spelling

User Info Menu

Default Re: I can't play!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lil drummerboy71 View Post

Anyways yeah since I been off the Zoloft I can't play it is like my foucus and concentration is not there or something and I don't "feel" the music.

I do not like this :-(

I am very sad :-(
    Im going to be very harsh here, but it is needed in a case like this.

TAKE YOUR DAMN MEDS!!

Your own statements tell you exactly why you need them. As for the insomnia, talk to your doctor about it, but keep on your meds until HE changes them.

User Info Menu

I have to agree with the redneck, he is right.

User Info Menu

I'm not sure we have specific information here guys. We may be prejudging.

I'd like to know if he stopped on his own or was told to. If he quit on his own then you guys are correct. If he stopped for other reasons then we should know that first.

If so...you need to give your system time to get back to normal. You are probably going through a withdrawal void that may be affecting more than just your drumming. Plus stopping cold may not be the best way. Tapering off is what I've heard is the correct method. But I'm no doctor so what do I really know?

But I feel more information needs to come forth before we scold the poor guy...
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bingo Bish!

Lil drummerboy, I would suggest scheduling an appointment with you doctor, and be perfectly honest with him/her. This is something that needs to be worked out between the 2 of you. The doctor won't just force something on you, so the 2 of you should talk it out and come to a mutual decision on a way that you can receive help.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    I'

I'd like to know if he stopped on his own or was told to. If he quit on his own then you guys are correct. If he stopped for other reasons then we should know that first.

But I feel more information needs to come forth before we scold the poor guy...
    Very true Bish.
    But if the Dr. took him off due to side effects he would have perscribed another anti depressant. A Dr wouldnt have cut him cold.

User Info Menu

LDB, Just hang in there. Use your mind to be positive. Seek out people that are positive in your life. DON'T WORRY!!! You are withdrawling from the drugs. It will take a few weeks. Don't give up hope! Try meditation.

User Info Menu

I also agree with Bish. It sounds like you may have become chemically dependent on the meds. See your doctor and explain what is happening. If you don't need the meds for depression any more, then you certainly don't need them for drumming.

P.S. Hang in there.
    Last edited by LagerHead; 01-18-2009 at 03:34 PM. Reason: P.S.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

I've been diagnosed with a sleeping disorder last year and I've been prescribed pills similar to Zoloft. My only problem was the morning after taking the pill, I can't even walk straight the pill hang over definitely messes up your locomotor skills.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered