Thread: Traditional grip question

User Info Menu

Default Traditional grip question

When i play traditional grip on snare, my right hand stick is held how i should hold the left and vice versa. Is that a big deal and do i really need to fix it?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Traditional grip question

If you feel comfortable doing it it isn't a problem.

User Info Menu

Im not sure I get you? do you mean you can play trad grip with the right and left hand? if so thats not unusual, I can do quite a bit of trad grip with the right also.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Im not sure I get you? do you mean you can play trad grip with the right and left hand? if so thats not unusual, I can do quite a bit of trad grip with the right also.
    No, I mean that i play trad grip w/right and i dont reaaly play w/left at all

User Info Menu

then it ain't "traditional." either way, jam whichever way works for you. the traditional grip comes from when drums were carried on a strap across the shoulder and they tilted to the right. Having the left-hand grip angled made it easier to play (in case anyone wanted to know lol).

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lil_mawl View Post
    then it ain't "traditional." either way, jam whichever way works for you. the traditional grip comes from when drums were carried on a strap across the shoulder and they tilted to the right. Having the left-hand grip angled made it easier to play (in case anyone wanted to know lol).
    One of the colleges im auditiong for says i should learn trad grip to becoe a better drummer and since they march with the gay straps and not the harness

User Info Menu

Are you left handed?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Are you left handed?
    No, right handed which makes playing traditional grip a challenge

User Info Menu

straps are pain in my opinion. playing traditional doesn't make anyone a better a drummer, but in theory it's a more comfortable technique when the drum is tilted. Santa Clara Vanguard (drum corp) uses harnesses for the snare line, but they tilt the drums slightly to aide the traditional grip

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lil_mawl View Post
    straps are pain in my opinion. playing traditional doesn't make anyone a better a drummer, but in theory it's a more comfortable technique when the drum is tilted. Santa Clara Vanguard (drum corp) uses harnesses for the snare line, but they tilt the drums slightly to aide the traditional grip
    i kno this straps are stupid since harness carriers are out now

User Info Menu

It all boils down to comfort. You should play with what grip feels good. That being said, I see no good reason for anyone to play traditional anymore, unless the drums they are using are not flat. I teach a high school line, and they have always wanted to go traditional, with me refusing to let them. It's just too hard to get everyone consistent and serves no real purpose other than to look cool. If you are not matching anyone, do what feels best. IMO - matched grip provides the best chance for consistency.

User Info Menu

What about non traditional grip with your right hand but with the butt end of the stick being used to strike the snare? I do and I get more impact that way.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    It all boils down to comfort. You should play with what grip feels good. That being said, I see no good reason for anyone to play traditional anymore..
    I agree my hs director lets us play snare in any grip we wish, he just wants us to sound good and i wish college snarelines thought that way bcuz i think it sucks that i wont be able to play snare in college until i master trad grip