Thread: Solo Help

User Info Menu

Unhappy Solo Help

Hey everyone,

My band has a gig coming up on Friday, and because of our recently joined new members, our set list is pretty short (~30 mins) because we could only learn so many songs in the short time we have.

In light of this, my band members have said that I should do a short drum solo (prolly like 5 minutes) in between two of our songs.

Trouble is that I have no idea where to start, whether it should be high tempo or relaxed or anything like that. I can pull stuff out at practise but I have no idea how to work it into a solo structure.

As much as I'd like to do the solo, I just don't think I'm ready

Any ideas of what the crowd might like?

HB58

User Info Menu

I know nothing about soloing but i guess you could just take a kind of complicated beat and trow in fills and stuff

User Info Menu

just my opinion but the crowd loves fast kinda solos with double bass....it will energize them :D...

User Info Menu

Thanks for the help guys.

Our lead singer pretty much said the same thing, start with a beat, any beat and build up fills onto them. Then move into full solo mode. Then come back to the beat and finish with something huge.

Spose I just have to work on some stuff now.

HB58

User Info Menu

Personally, as long as there's some kind of constant groove behind the solo it seems to work much better than going off on a total tangent. It can be as simple as steady 16ths on the high hat. If I can't tap my foot or nod my head to it, just like a song, it probably sounds like a bunch of disconnected chops strung together by nothing.

User Info Menu

A lot of my solo go into different directions and feels throughout them. The most important thing is have some type of underlying groove that the audience can hear and follow along. Most people are not musical, so they will not understand 5 minutes of 32nd notes played all over. Do not get me wrong, periods of flash are great for switching between groove feels of a solo. Other than that, have fun with it

keith

User Info Menu

I know its probably not you kind of music......but go back and get some Gene Krupa big band music. He did alot of solo's stand alone that of course went back to the band. Alot of snare work that you don't hear alot of anymore. All done with a 4 piece kit if that might be your situation....may not be that difficult to pic parts out of. Needless to say there are lots of drummers solos you could get stuff from but i was listening to that this morning and read you request after so just cam to mind......

User Info Menu

Keep it musical! I've seen a stack of solos that are technically impeccable (great chops, insanely good technique) but absolutely unlistenable by anyone but a drummer.

If you groove, people will dig it. Hence the cool big band solos (like Krupa) - they're entertaining and they groove. Sure he was a great technical drummer, but he was entertaining first and foremost.

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Solo help

I agree with newfounddrums, hellsbells--the solos Krupa did came out of his set work and flowed back into the set work. Anyone can crash on the set for five minutes...don't know what your set includes, but if you can tie in the solo to one or both of the songs either side of the solo, the solo will sound more integrated and less like an afterthought...

But I also agree with kromberg in that the solo should be fun!

keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Jobby
    Keep it musical!
    If you groove, people will dig it.

Precisely!

User Info Menu

also keep it relavent to the context of the band, if you are playing a metal gig people dont want to hear a jazzy brush solo... just like you dont want to play a double bass face blaster at an afro-cuban gig. im sure ya get my point here.

User Info Menu

So...no hand bells at Slayer?

User Info Menu

not unless you want to be gang beaten by a bunch of pissed off lombardo fans carving inverted crosses on your forehead. ouch...lol

User Info Menu

Given that Dave is playing a stack of weird percussion in Fantomas, I don't think that hand bells would be that out of the ordinary for him now.

On the solo thing - the most memorable solos generally have a 'motif' or 'theme' that they use to bring everything together. Take Moby D*ck for example.

There's a great video here that uses the motif (a repeated rythmic phrase) and then plays with it by doing 'call and response' type stuff. It's not insanely complex, but is quite entertaining:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5q2q3...elated&search=

User Info Menu

i hear ya jobby, prolly not out of the ordinary at all. i've only heard a couple fantomas tracks and only one was w/ dave, the other was live w/ bozzio. getting kicked out of slayer was prolly the best thing that could have happened to dave and his drumming, he really branched out. good to have him back with slayer tho.

User Info Menu

On the solo thing - the most memorable solos generally have a 'motif' or 'theme' that they use to bring everything together. Take Moby D*ck for example.
    "Motif", I wish I had said that. If it were literature, it would be the theam or thesis. Watching my son learn how to solo, I would have to say that this might be the hardest part to master. It's where the real creativity comes in. For beginning soloists, steady 16th's on the kick or high hat can serve the same purpose.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    So...no hand bells at Slayer?
    No chimes or wood blocks either

Keith

User Info Menu

Default Re: Solo Help

I think of small stories or events when I try to solo.

Things like the first time being with a girl, jogging, going out with friends.

I can't remember which thread on here but someone said they will play to a favorite scene from a movie.

User Info Menu

NEWS FLASH....the solo in question was over 3 years ago...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by xsabers View Post
    NEWS FLASH....the solo in question was over 3 years ago...
    Geez! I hope it went ok...
    PDP Platinum Series drum set (Fire Engine Red Metallic to Black Fade)
    - one 12" up, one 16" down

13x7" Ludwig Black Magic snare
    14x5.5" PDP Platinum 12 ply snare

14" Zildjian A Series New Beat hi-hats
    17" Zildjian A Series Medium Thin crash
    21" Zildjian A Series Sweet Ride

User Info Menu

When I played a solo the tempo was same as song we were coming out of..anotherwords if its a hard rocking tune..then blast right into it, if you are coming out of something with a slow tempo, then you can build it to whatever climax you want, key is to have a signature move or beat to let band members know that you are coming out of solo and to step in..thats the best I can offer! enjoy the music
    Enjoy the Music!

HOOKED ON VINTAGE ROGERS

12 tom times 3
    13 tom times 3
    16 floor tom 3
    22 BD times 2
    24 BD 1
    Dyna-sonic snare 1976
    Dyna-sonic snare 1969
    Powertone snare 1969
    24 x 12 Djembe

21" K Hybrid custom ride
    21" Avedis ride
    20" Zildjian 1970 ride
    18" A Custom Zildjian fast crash
    17" A Custom Zildjian med crash
    15" A Custom Zildjian Reso hats
    10" A Custom fast splash
    18" A Custom China
    LP Cowbell baby..always more cowbell

Member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"
    The Zildjian League

Drum Chat's Record for Most Users Online
    BE COUNTED!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by A-Ro View Post
    Geez! I hope it went ok...
    I hope he's finished!

Andy

User Info Menu

Serious point though. 5 minutes, Really? from a Drummer who has no experience soloing?

This guy chose to only do 4.30 seconds, and he COULD solo.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22XbdIIhhXw"]YouTube- Buddy Rich Drum Solo[/ame]

Andy