Thread: Use Less Words

User Info Menu

Default Use Less Words

Wel, me and a bunch of friends (where with six actually) started a band a few months ago. Unfortunatly we are not getting really started, reharsals are quite rare for example

A few more details about the group: We like playing Emo and Punk, wich might be a weird combination, but the music itself is basicly the same. We have one lead singer (the only girl in the group) and 4 guitars (one bass-guitar) plus me, the drummer

If we get to play a bit more, and if we ever succeed getting a decent record of one of our songs, I'll post them right away . But do not expect to much, were only starting, and quite jong too (the oldest member is 18 and the youngest member (me) is 15 ...)

Sorry for the bad English bythaway, but I'm not rally brilliant at languages (and I usually speak/write dutch of course...)

User Info Menu

Don't sweat the language thing. English is my native language and I can't spell my way out of a wet paper sack. The only Dutch I know was learned from the Katzenjammer Kids.

jarhead Guest

your band is pretty much in the same position as mine...we are just starting,play punk...we are gonna start practicing in january..welcome to drum chat..good luck with the band

User Info Menu

What are you focusing on, original songs or covers?

HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Well, a bit of both... We have some really good ideas for songs, and 2 of them al already fully worked out in guitar pro, but I just need to add the drum sheets. I don't have GP jet

We want to cover a few songs as well, Smells like teen spirit from Nirvana for example. But also some songs from Taking Back Sunday (Thats wy in need the sheet music).

User Info Menu

I'd suggest learning the covers first, so that you can get an idea of everyone's different levels of skill and competence before rushing into original works.

Anyway, hope the song-writing goes well for you. Post up your GP midi files when you get the drum sheets done, I'm sure everyone here will be willing to give you some feedback.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells58
    I'd suggest learning the covers first
    Excellent advice. We'd all like to think we have the lyrical ability of Neil Peart. Unfortunately, that's usually not the case. When in doubt, play AC/DC. It's easy, it's fun, and practically everybody loves a rousing chorus of "Whole Lotta Rosie".

User Info Menu

39, 42, 56....YOU CAN SAY SHE'S GOT IT AAAAAALLLLL!!!!!

hehe.....right on, bro
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Sage advice: Work out a routine for band practice and at the end of your practice sessions, set out what to learn before next band prac.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris
    Excellent advice.
    I disagree. You can find everyone's skill level better by finding out how they go thrgough the process of songwriting. I am of the opinion that if you want to find out if you and another (or group of other) musician(s) are compatible, you try writing songs. this way you get a better feel for style, work ethic and direction and dedication.

User Info Menu

You bring up a good point. Discussing musical influences can also help determine whether you're compatible as well.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

as a discussion, sure. But if I tell you i like prog metal, italo disco, post-rock, Post-hardcore and classic R&B (which is all true) would you have any idea what I like to play when I write songs?

User Info Menu

Depends on the riffs you write. All songs are different, so some could be influenced by some genres and some might not. Helping to determine what to drum.

HB58

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

I agree that You can tell someones abilites in the Song Writing Process,And Determination,Etc...Also the Genre of Music does help...Well most bands decide on a Genre to play or to stick within the boundries of that Genre they pick.I also think that You can tell how compatible a group of Musician's are by learning how they play,And definitely figuring out how they act when Problems occur during the Song Writing Process...Thats just my Opinion.....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by el presidente
    I disagree. You can find everyone's skill level better by finding out how they go thrgough the process of songwriting. I am of the opinion that if you want to find out if you and another (or group of other) musician(s) are compatible, you try writing songs. this way you get a better feel for style, work ethic and direction and dedication.
    Hmm...not so sure. Sitting down and writing songs with someone might give you a good idea of their technical understanding of music and whether or not you're stylistically compatible, but it woun't tell you much about how well you gell on stage and even less about how the public will recieve you.

In my opinion, very few people posses the talent to write good songs. The ratio of good musicians to good song writers has to something on the order of 1000:1. The beauty of covers is that there's a wealth of great songs already out there. Many professional musicians started off in cover bands, paying their dues and honing their writing chops (ex. Eddie Van Halen). Being able to wow the crowd with a few well known favorites is also a great way to soften them up for origional material. Conversely, not too many people will sit around and listen to an unknown band perform songs they've never heard before, and frankly, most origional material is unbelievably horrid. Don't believe it? Just take a look at Myspace.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 01-02-2007 at 05:23 PM.

User Info Menu

dudes...you guys need to just gt togather and cover a couple of easy songs...Ac/DC ish always good..and then just Jam...that way you develop as a team and "fit" tighter togather
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

And if you write songs you should stel riffs. Itll cover up songwrighting deficiencies. oasis hav done it from day 1 and look at them!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chiko
    dudes...you guys need to just gt togather and cover a couple of easy songs...Ac/DC ish always good..and then just Jam...that way you develop as a team and "fit" tighter togather
    Yeah, the "team" concept is big. As far as jamming goes, I read where many of the early Sabbath songs came directly from jam sessions, so it can work as a song writing method as well.

Another great thing about playing in a cover band is that it requires quite a range of vocal stylings which will tend to stretch a young singer. I bet most of these "musicians" who sing like Cookie Monster never did much cover work. You get a front man who can go from Paul Rogers to Scott Stap to Robert Plant and you've got the real deal.

User Info Menu

Yea I agree 100% about the Cover Band thing...Our Singer/Guitarist (Sean),He sings alot of stuff on his own and not with the Band so he can sing a wide range.We would have Vocals with our Music now,But we are having the Equipment Problem.We have no money really,So we can't afford to buy a PA or even a Smaller amp for Vocals...Sean is getting a Crate Full-Stack in Feduary,So we will have an Extra amp for Vocals so look forward to that...As for coming up with music,Well I have two Brothers in my band so they write Songs at their house and show them to me and I come up with Drums,Etc...Thats pretty much how we work,And so far everything is going great.....

User Info Menu

Awesom! can't wait to hear the vocals & lyrics.

Hey, that reminds me, the story goes that the reason David Lee Roth got the spot as Van Halen's front man (I think they were going as Mastadon at this time) was because he owned his own p.a. system. Funny, huh.

User Info Menu

So, we finally made a video of a new song were working on

It's a bit crapy, you can't really hear the guitars, unfortunately. and it was the first time we played the song, so it's far from perfect (especially the drums :p)
    Vocals and bass are missing.

Clickie

Reactions are welcome, and I prefer reactions who tell the truth, I accept negative criticts (but don't be too hard on me )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bafke
    So, we finally made a video of a new song were working on

It's a bit crapy, you can't really hear the guitars, unfortunately. and it was the first time we played the song, so it's far from perfect (especially the drums :p)
    Vocals and bass are missing.

Clickie

Reactions are welcome, and I prefer reactions who tell the truth, I accept negative criticts (but don't be too hard on me )
    You and I have the same problem: we're not set up to record drums. The sound is pretty bad. Could barely hear the kick with head phones.

I always thought it was kind of a rule to hit the kick every time you crash?

Keep work'n on it. Origionals are fun (for the musicians, anyway), but the public may be more receptive to covers when you play out.

User Info Menu

I like the Video and all,But I could barely hear it.Also try hitting the Kick when You hit the Crash cymbal.It will make it sound alot better,I just thought I would give alittle advice.Also Work on Your stick technique...