Thread: What kind of heads...

User Info Menu

Default What kind of heads...

would deliver a nice warm crack with little overtones? Just wondering
    Sticks
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion (Deep Amber)
    10, 12, 14, 16 Toms 14 Snare 22X18 Bass (Stock heads)
    16 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    18 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    10 Inch Paiste PST 3 Splash
    20 Inch Zildjian Ping Ride
    14 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Hi-Hats

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...35.html?t=8435

User Info Menu

Default Re: What kind of heads...

If I understand correctly, you're looking for a dry sound to your head? On my snare I have an Evans Genera HD Dry and that works well for me.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

are you talking about snare heads?
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Coated PS3

User Info Menu

ummm, i will assume that you mean for your snare because you said crack....so i would say and evans genera dry, or evan genera hd dry. the are dry (obviously) so the sustain is short, and have an overtone ring built in, so there are few overtones. sound good. Or another favorite of mine is the remo weatherking ambassador
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I use the evans ec2 but just about a week ago I got the new EC reso for the bottom..Tremendous difference in sound, very deep and warm! Try the coated ec2 and these new reso's they are worth it, the new reso has really impressed me

User Info Menu

I like the Remo Controlled Sound.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I like the Remo Controlled Sound.

I use that on my snare ,coated verson, best snare head I have tried

User Info Menu

I've got an Evans Genera HD Dry head on my 14X6 Gretsch Catalina maple snare, and IMHO, it is an absolutely awesome sound. Great warm, controlled crack!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

does anyone on here use aquarion heads how do they sound?
    PEARL MASTERS MCX in Bronze Glass
    24x18
    16x16
    13x9
    Camilo:''your guitarrist is awesome',Xweasel: ''yeah he's asian''

User Info Menu

Thanks guys I guess I know which way to go.
    Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    I recently changed the skins on my Saturn kit to Aquarian Studio X Clear heads and so far they are OK. They sound a bit too wet for my liking, but have no nasty overtones. Next time around, im going with a coated skin for the toms...cant beat it IMO.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Genera Dry head for me! Though go with the HD Genera Dry. I also heard great things about the Controlled Sound Dot from Remo.
    Tama Starclassic Birch in Emerald Sea Fade 24x18, 13x10, 18x16
    Mapex Black Panther Phosphor Bronze 5.5x14
    Remo Coated Emperors (or Evans Clear EC2s) over Remo Coated Ambassadors
    Remo Coated Ambassador Over Hazy Diplomat Snare Side
    Dream Contact 14" Hi-Hats, Zildjian Avedis 21" Sweet Ride, Zildjian A Custom 18" Projection Crash, Wuhan 18" China
    Vic Firth 5As and 5Bs/Sound Percussion 5Bs and 2Bs

"Da head of the drum doesn't matter, it's da head of da drummer that matters most..." -Phrogge

User Info Menu

This is always an interesting thread whenever it's posted. The answer always comes back to personal preference as dictated by what you play most of: Rock, Punk, Metal, Jazz etc. There is a thickness of batter head for every situation and, as far as I can tell, not much difference between the Brands as the specs are pretty much the same. What I find lacking in so many responses is that proper tuning of your drum will do a lot more for getting the sound you want. And that means tuning both the reso and batter. Crank the reso and batter to get that solid, dry, hard "Thwack." Tune the reso and batter lower to get that warmer, vintage sound. Keep the reso lower than and the batter tighter for the higher pitched Latin sound. There is no "One way fits all." The only thing any of us can do is to experiment.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by billnolan View Post
    I use the evans ec2 but just about a week ago I got the new EC reso for the bottom..Tremendous difference in sound, very deep and warm! Try the coated ec2 and these new reso's they are worth it, the new reso has really impressed me
    Bill, Your using the EC2/EC Reso combo on all your toms??? Are you using the coated EC2 batter or clear?
    Mapex Saturn, Cherry Sparkle, 6 piece Studioese

Black Panther Cherry/Maple

Sabian AA cymbals

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    This is always an interesting thread whenever it's posted. The answer always comes back to personal preference as dictated by what you play most of: Rock, Punk, Metal, Jazz etc. There is a thickness of batter head for every situation and, as far as I can tell, not much difference between the Brands as the specs are pretty much the same. What I find lacking in so many responses is that proper tuning of your drum will do a lot more for getting the sound you want. And that means tuning both the reso and batter. Crank the reso and batter to get that solid, dry, hard "Thwack." Tune the reso and batter lower to get that warmer, vintage sound. Keep the reso lower than and the batter tighter for the higher pitched Latin sound. There is no "One way fits all." The only thing any of us can do is to experiment.
    Oh cool, i'll definitely tune my reso down a bit then, I guess and assumed that would happen if I tuned it up and I did.
    Sticks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shabutie2113 View Post
    I had used coated Aquarian Response II heads for tom batters. GREAT heads. Coating lasts forever. Great deep tone.