Thread: What's The Best Way To Mic Congas?

User Info Menu

Default What's The Best Way To Mic Congas?

I was reading HC's thread about his poor swollen and bleeding hands, and I saw BB's comment about using the condenser mic. It made me wonder, is the condenser mic the mic of choice, or is it simply one of the possiblities? I would appreciate some feedback on this one.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: What's The Best Way To Mic Congas?

I second that, would love to know what types of mics people have used on congas. If you read my post under the swollen hand thread, you'll know that I'm now in the market.

User Info Menu

One way...

SM57 on the top head 2-3" away (one on each) or 4-6" away if you are splitting 2 drums.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What's The Best Way To Mic Congas?

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I was reading HC's thread about his poor swollen and bleeding hands, and I saw BB's comment about using the condenser mic. It made me wonder, is the condenser mic the mic of choice, or is it simply one of the possiblities? I would appreciate some feedback on this one.
    PB, don't know what made me type "condenser"! I meant to say "cardioid!" I'd have to check the number next time I'm at church, but the guitar group leader has me mic'ed with an AMG mike with a cardioid pattern on a stand directly in front of the bongos, with the mic pointed downward slightly. This, as I described earlier, picks up the bongos on the stand and all three of my congas. It also picks up my vocals.

I know some of our brother hand drummers use condensers on their equipment, so I'm open to feedback, too...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

One way...

SM57 on the top head 2-3" away (one on each) or 4-6" away if you are splitting 2 drums.
    I did an extensive google search on this topic last night, and from everything I have been reading, the Sure SM57 or the Sennheiser E604 seem to be the most commonly used and recomended mics for congas. Certainly there are many others that would work probably just as well, but these two seem to get great reviews all around. Neither are very cheap though.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I did an extensive google search on this topic last night, and from everything I have been reading, the Sure SM57 or the Sennheiser E604 seem to be the most commonly used and recomended mics for congas. Certainly there are many others that would work probably just as well, but these two seem to get great reviews all around. Neither are very cheap though.
    True - the 57s are about $100 each. On the plus side, they are very durable. I saw a video where a guy dropped one into a pitcher of beer, then used it to pound a nail into a 2x4. He plugged it in and it was ready to go. I haven't used the E604s, so I can't comment to their specs. Any decent vocal mic will give you a good sound, but like everything else, you get what you pay for.

User Info Menu

The link below is a an article about recording Latin Percussion:

http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/dec0...cles/latin.htm

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post

Great article, but I disagree with the djembe section. For one, they have a djembe in the picture that is listed as a surdo (hopefully just a typo). Secondly, getting a good bass sound is nearly impossible without the mic being very close to inside the bottom of the drum. Just my opinion.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    True - the 57s are about $100 each. On the plus side, they are very durable. I saw a video where a guy dropped one into a pitcher of beer, then used it to pound a nail into a 2x4. He plugged it in and it was ready to go. I haven't used the E604s, so I can't comment to their specs. Any decent vocal mic will give you a good sound, but like everything else, you get what you pay for.
    I would like to see that video!!!
    I have used Sm57's forever. Very good mic!!! I used to use it for hosting open mic. I had one for me, and one for the public. Something about a community mic that grosses me out. I used to disinfect it after the gigs.

JUST YUCK!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for posting the link to that article Red1. Great information.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ShaneRoney View Post
    Great article, but I disagree with the djembe section. For one, they have a djembe in the picture that is listed as a surdo (hopefully just a typo). Secondly, getting a good bass sound is nearly impossible without the mic being very close to inside the bottom of the drum. Just my opinion.
    I have to agree that the best bass is from inside the base of the drum. i've suspended an old SM57 directly inside the bottom and then hook the cord to my belt. The sound is thunderous when you want it and i'm still reasonably mobile on stage. An aquaintance of mine is currently trying to work out a wireless set up because he likes to wander while performing. I don't think he's found the right mike yet but it's an interesting concept.

User Info Menu

Be very careful on how you put a mic in the drum! I have blown out a SM58 from putting it inside my djembe.

I found the best way for me to mic a djembe or ashiko is to use a CAD TSM411 mic about 2" from the top rim and a CAD KBM412 about 1" below the bottom hole. That way I get the highs and the thunderous bass on 2 seperate lines so I can EQ them together. Every time I tried doing it with just one mic, it was either too tinny with almost no bass, or too boomy with just the ring from the highs. The only drawback to this setup is the fact that the drum must stay in its stand and can't be moved, but that's ok with me as I have mine set up with my kit.

I have also had very good luck just using a single cardioid condenser mic placed about 2' above the drums when mic'ing my conga / bongos. I usually put a boom stand behind me off to the side a little, and extend the boom over my shoulder to get the mic to where it is pointing at the center of the set up, kind of like if it was looking at it from my point of view. The only issue I have found by doing this is that the mic will pic up anything within a few feet around you, so don't set up next to a speaker.

Hope that helps a little!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I've done a lot of experimenting with mine. I tested the Audix D2's and the Audix i5's. The i5's win out hands down. The best method for me is to Mic each one using the LP claw 2.5" off the head at 45 degree angle. I have them all going into my own mixer, then out to the main board.

User Info Menu

Use one MIC .. pointed up at a 35 -45 degree angle one inch below the head of the djembe - pics up the bass and highs really well. Then you can use the mic for other percussion stuff as well since its pointed up.

User Info Menu

Some interesting replies and thanks PB for starting thr thread , its something Ive been pondering myself .

My daughters congas are on a stand and I was thinking of putting the mics under the drums but have taken notice to others putting the mics above the head .

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What's The Best Way To Mic Congas?

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro View Post
    PB, don't know what made me type "condenser"! I meant to say "cardioid!" I'd have to check the number next time I'm at church, but the guitar group leader has me mic'ed with an AMG mike with a cardioid pattern on a stand directly in front of the bongos, with the mic pointed downward slightly. This, as I described earlier, picks up the bongos on the stand and all three of my congas. It also picks up my vocals.

I know some of our brother hand drummers use condensers on their equipment, so I'm open to feedback, too...
    EXCEPT when you don't want it!

I need to check my glasses, because that mike is an AKG C1000E cardioid pattern mic, but everything else is correct! It must work well, since nobody has any trouble hearing the percussion during our services...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Some interesting replies and thanks PB for starting thr thread , its something Ive been pondering myself .

My daughters congas are on a stand and I was thinking of putting the mics under the drums but have taken notice to others putting the mics above the head .
    With congas, I believe the bass note is the least used and least important, so mics on top make the most sense. With Djembe, the bass note is critical, so a top/bottom combo is the way to go.

User Info Menu

I use two different methods depending on the group I am playing with.
    Method one: XY pattern overhead at ear height. I use either two behringer C2 (condensors) or two SM57. The 57s give a more skin on skin sound.
    Method two: SM 57 inside the tumba and conga. I use Hercules stands with rubber mic clips. One C2 overhead to pick up the quinto and bongos and any skin sounds. When I hit the center tones on the tumba and conga the sound is thunderous.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Bongobill, and thanks for adding your thoughts to this thread!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by red1 View Post

I also learned something here. Tuning my congas down a little less will give that more traditional deeper sound. I also noticed how more modern pop artists tune pretty high these days and at least with my drums I get some ring sound when they are to tight.