View Poll Results: Which foot technique do you use?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Heel up

23 67.65%
  • Heel down

7 20.59%
  • Heel toe

2 5.88%
  • Heel what???!!?

2 5.88%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hell up or heel down

User Info Menu

Default Hell up or heel down

Hi all, i just wondered what technique people use when playing the bass drum. Just outta interest really. I play heel up as it seems more natural, easier to control and faster.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hell up or heel down

I play heel up mostly just because that's how I started out. Now it's easier for me to do it that way.
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

I play heel up. I find it gives you more speed and control than heel down, and it doesn't leave your foot hurting
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

I tend to play heel up on the bass pedal, but heel down on the hi-hat pedal. Heel up is for the power, and heel down is more for finese.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I tend to play heel up on the bass pedal, but heel down on the hi-hat pedal. Heel up is for the power, and heel down is more for finese.
    Same with me, up for Bass down for hi hat, i get a terrible pain in my shin if i play bass with heel down, Ouch!!
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Idk why but ive found the most comfortable and accurate way for me is heel down with my right foot and heel up with my left.

User Info Menu

That's exactly what I do. Heel up on the bass for speed, heel down on the hi hat.

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Same with me, up for Bass down for hi hat, i get a terrible pain in my shin if i play bass with heel down, Ouch!!
    That's exactly what I get if I ever try and play heel down.
    Mapex Drums | Zildjian and Meinl Cymbals | Evans Drumheads | Pro Mark Drum Sticks

User Info Menu

I try to play heel down most of the time. But there are times when I find that I can't play what I want heel down, so I gotta pick it up. You know, I just go with the flow. I don't want to be labeled.

Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Dito.

User Info Menu

I mostly play heel up. I have tried heel down and heel/toe. All are good to know. Different music, different technique. One should never limit to strictly one technique.

User Info Menu

Both for me - I learned to play heel down but use heel up when more power is needed.
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Both for me - I learned to play heel down but use heel up when more power is needed.
    Same with me I can do both. I fought through the pain(I say in my tough guy voice) Honestly though I did and once that goes away you are good to go. More heel up and heel down for finesse.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Guitarfool5931 View Post
    I play heel up mostly just because that's how I started out. Now it's easier for me to do it that way.
    X2

User Info Menu

Heel up, both heels. Feels right for me.
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Heel up on the Base and down on the Hats

User Info Menu

I am the one who put heel what?!?! as my answer because I use both depending on what i am playing. for example on the song "creep" I alternate between the two depending on the section.

I learned both because heel down is good for jazz and soft rock, but heel up is for chorus parts and rock.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Heel up for me for the same reason, terrible pain in my shin......

User Info Menu

I play heel down on the bass much of the time. I "Feather" the bass and kick to accent with the band as needed. Tempo has a lot to do with this as well. At faster tempos, I will use "Heel - up" for control of the speed. I use "Heel - up" on the hi-hat most of the time because I tend to separate the cymbals more than most do. I like a heavier "Chick" so the Big Band can follow me. I will use "Heel - down" when I want a light, hi-hat splash in a Ballad or Vocal number.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Reminds me of a discussion I had about playing bass. Someone asked which method I used, fingers, pick, or thumb. My answer? Whatever appendage is closest to the string when it needs struck, or what the song calls for! It's good to know all.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by CharlyG View Post
    Reminds me of a discussion I had about playing bass. Someone asked which method I used, fingers, pick, or thumb. My answer? Whatever appendage is closest to the string when it needs struck, or what the song calls for! It's good to know all.

Absolutely!!
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

depends on what kind of music I am playing. if it is something without lots of fast bass then i will usually play heel down for better control. but if I'm playing anything fast or doubles then it's always heel up

User Info Menu

I play heel up most of the time....though do heel down sometimes when appropriate....always play the hats heel down....
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....

User Info Menu

Heel down most of the time for me. It gives me more control of the volume since I'm mostly trying to play softly. I do go to Heel up occasionally when I want more volume, or trying to play very fast bass rhythms.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Both. Depends on what I'm playing.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Heel up. but I'm working on my heel down
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered