Thread: Tilted Hi hats

User Info Menu

Default Tilted Hi hats

Alright guys, I don't know why but my hi hats are tilting. I'm trying to figure out why? Thanks guys.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Tilted Hi hats

Mine tilts too. I can't to get them level
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Maybe you have a Tilted floor....
    mhhm....excuse me. Yeah. Maybe you have an uneven floor. Have you tried adjusting the screw underneath the hi hat on the stand to even it out?
    www.myspace.com/joeguitar

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

Mine are actually just a little crooked as well. It gets annoying at times but I've learned to live with it.

Feel free to request me. Just make sure you add a message with it cause I get too many from people I just don't know.

User Info Menu

Thank you Guitarfool! I figured it out. My dad was messing around with the screw and I bet he just unbalanced it. So all I have to do is fix that. Thanks again.

User Info Menu

No problem. Btw we forgot to do the secret Ludwig handshake.

User Info Menu

Oh darn. Ok let's see here. It's Wait or is it... oh darn it!

User Info Menu

The bottom hat is supposed to be crooked, it prevents air lock and gives you a better chick sound.

User Info Menu

Oh good. So I HAVE been doing it right this whole time. I knew that!! Lol....

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    The bottom hat is supposed to be crooked, it prevents air lock and gives you a better chick sound.

And sizzle..

Dennis

User Info Menu

there is a little screw that tilts them, so if you tighten that then thats where your tilt is from, unless you belnt the stands insides. but like said before you want a tilted bottom to prevent airlock,
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Forget airlock. I'm CDO and my hats need to be perfectly level at all times.

(For those that don't know, CDO is like OCD... but the letters are in alphabetical order... like they should be.)
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Try them even then put some tilt and see what sounds better. You may like some tilt.

User Info Menu

the screw is all it is.

Question about that - how how do people set their screw? and do you prefer it on the playing side or on the side away from you?
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    the screw is all it is.

Question about that - how how do people set their screw? and do you prefer it on the playing side or on the side away from you?

Away from me with the hats tilted slightly towards me.

User Info Menu

The screw assembly is towards me. I make the tilt higher on my sticking side. I don't like the bottom "lip" looking at me.

User Info Menu

The screw assembly is towards me. I make the tilt higher on my sticking side. I don't like the bottom "lip" looking at me.
    Dito

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I find that chews up sticks faster.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    I find that chews up sticks faster.
    Hey, so I like saw dust!!!!! I would think the opposite.....

User Info Menu

Wait I have my the opposite of yours BLD. Woops.

User Info Menu

this sor tof thing is so interesting. i'm the same as redneck. I also have my hi-hats fiarly closed overall, so i find this way it ensures the greater end of the opening is on my side, ensuring I get maximum openess sound given how close they are overall. Difficult to explain but it's my way of managing double kick pedals and open hi-hat playing without it being too much openess - although this is a crap setup if you wanna do jazzy hi-hat work - which generally i don't - so it doesn't impact me.

I'm thinking of getting a drop-clutch though which may be helpful in these situations. just not sure how long it would take me to get used to using one.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

I always looked at it as having the lip open towards me if I want to get a nice splashy hat sound. If you think about it, when you hit the top cymbal, it drives down into the bottom when the open lip is facing you. When it's opposite, the two cymbals are touching (or at least closer together) when you hit them and you won't get as much splash. I think my teacher explained it that way many many years ago.

But I'll be darned - I haven't really tried it the other way. So thanks to BLD and others, I think I will do just that...

Bottom line - try both - see which one works for you.
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus