Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gretsch Catalina maple review

User Info Menu

Default Gretsch Catalina maple review

High Guys and Gals,
    I mentioned that my wife bought me this set for christmas. I knew about it as I picked it out and help order it. It came in the honey amber finish; in 10, 12, 14, and 16" size toms a 14x6 snare and a 22" bass.
    I opened up the boxes and took out the drums. The finish was flawless as I inspected each drum. I was very impressed with color and the clear (clear was clean and buffed to a high luster). I inspected the bearing edges and found a few very mild dings, just barely enough to hang a fingernail. As I put the stock heads on I was able to see the hardware on the drums. It seems very durable and also buffed very nice. I have heard that the bolts that bolt the lugs to the shell had been known to loosen up over time. I took the lugs apart and added red loctite to them. My one complaint was that the machining of the threads of either the tension rods or the lug inserts were a bit rough. I had to really work hard to get them in by hand. I did not cross thread them if any of you are wondering.
    I tuned up the toms first; keep in mind these are stock clear heads. The 10" tom tuned up very nice; warm with a good tone. The 12" tuned up well also. The 14" and 16" floor toms weren't so nice. I worked these two drums over for quite awhile and finally got the sound I wanted. I tuned the snare next and even though it had stock heads (the top being a coated) it sounded great. I tried tuning it up and down and loved them both. It has great crack but has a nice body to the tone. Last, but not least was the bass drum. I originally put a pillow in the bass and it killed the drum. In my other bass drum I simply used a rolled up towel just touching both heads. I went back to this set up on the new bass drum. Again with stock heads; I tuned the batter about 1.5 turns past hand tight. Reso head was about 2.5 turns past hand tight. With a small rubber back felt beater it sounded pretty good, but too much resonance. I just decided to leave it that way until I could try a different head.
    I have since put remo emperor coated on the batter side with stock reso's on the toms. The snare heads are still stock, as is the bass drum. I have also mic'ed and recorded these to compare them to my old set (Pearl export). the new tom heads really make the toms sing especially the 14" floor tom which is so deep and warm with just the right amount of resonance.
    I would greatly recommend these drums for someone who is looking for a nice maple kit. The price was out of this world for what you get. This kit came with a free 16" floor tom. It is a nice drum and it sounds good, but I've learned I don't use it all that much. I will post pics on the show your drums thread when my wife comes home with the camera. I hope this is helpful to anyone who is looking or interested in this kit. Thanks!!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Gretsch Catalina maple review

Congrats on the kit, and thanks for the honest review. I'll bet it looks great in the Honey Amber!

BTW, if the "dings" on the bearing edges are indeed mild, an old wood restorer's trick is to moisten the wood at the ding, and apply heat. The heat will create steam pressure, and will re-expand the wood (the tip of an iron works well as a heat source). It doesn't take much, and it works very well.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks PB on the tip, I will try that out. I should pics up by the weekend.

User Info Menu

You two just posted excellent tips and enormous information here. That is a great review on the cats. I felt like I was right there helping you tune.

Thank YOU!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Bish,
    As one of the most trusted and talented persons here I take this as a HUGE compliment! I would love to answer any questions from anyone that has a curiosity. Thanks!!! Pics to come soon!

User Info Menu

Are the stock Gretsch heads you refer to called "Powertone" heads? I just bought a Gretsch kit and I'm trying to decide if they should be immediately swapped or not.

Anyone know what they are? Standard Remo Ambassadors with a Gretsch logo?
    Scott G
    Follow me on twitter
    My discography sample
    Strange Americans

Gear:
    Brady
    Gretsch
    Ludwig
    Paiste
    Bosphorus

User Info Menu

Scottie, the stock heads on the Catalina series are Remo UT heads.

RRitter posted concerning this, so I'll just give you the link because he did such a great job.

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...eads-4604.html
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

scottie,
    I wouldn't change the heads right away unless you just cant tune them or you cant stand the sound you get with them. I kept them until i wore them out. They are not very durable, and loose their tune pretty quickly.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohmthis View Post
    The 12" tuned up well also. The 14" and 16" floor toms weren't so nice. I worked these two drums over for quite awhile and finally got the sound I wanted.
    Great review! and congrats on the Cats! (haha) I owned a Catalina maple myself for a short time and experienced the same problematic tuning with regards to the floor toms. I tried all sorts of different head combos and tunings with no major break throughs. I found the answer to the tuning woes on these floor toms. It lies in the abnormally small rubber tips on the floor tom legs (feet). I changed the feet out to Pearl suspension feet and the floor toms came to LIFE! There was no insulation between the vibration of the head/shell and the floor making the drum(s) difficult to tune and rather lifeless. -Les

User Info Menu

forget gretsch, get a vistalite zep set!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat MortalDrumbat!

I do think you want the Ludwig thread, however.

User Info Menu

ok maybe im wrong. its just suspicious that you get that many drums in decent colors for only 700 right? what if you want to add more drums on there? i never see them available component wise. sounds like a sweet deal, id play em if i ever had the chance

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    ok maybe im wrong. its just suspicious that you get that many drums in decent colors for only 700 right? what if you want to add more drums on there? i never see them available component wise. sounds like a sweet deal, id play em if i ever had the chance
    I'll grant you that MD. I have a set of the Catalina Maple drums. It comes as a 6 piece kit (10", 12", 14" & free 16" toms, 22X18 bass and 14X6 snare), the snare and tom hoops are 2.5mm triple flange, so they are substantial, and the hardware on the kit is excellent. You are right that add-on drums are not available, but if you've got a 6 piece set-up already, on an intermediate kit, you're in pretty good shape. The down side, to me, is the limited finish choices, but then I happen to love the Deep Amber finish.

All in all, IMHO, I think the Gretsch Catalina Maple is an excellent intermediate kit, and a great buy as a shell pack for about $700.

User Info Menu

Lezismor,
    I will look into the feet on the floor toms; but to me I found that the heads really made the difference. Albeit that I'm not a pro drummer or tuner. I love the sound that I have achieved.

MD,
    man I thought the same thing as you when searching for a new kit. Thanks to the good knowledge of the people here and other places I jumped at the chance to own these. I would agree with PB; as the color choice is limited as is the drum sizes. But, these sound so good for the money.....It's hard to pass up. Keep in mind that they're foreign made, I still couldn't pass them up. BTW pics are up on the "Show your drums" section of the board.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by MortalDrumbat View Post
    forget gretsch, get a vistalite zep set!
    We don't need no steenking plastic drums! -Les

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I'll grant you that MD. I have a set of the Catalina Maple drums. It comes as a 6 piece kit (10", 12", 14" & free 16" toms, 22X18 bass and 14X6 snare), the snare and tom hoops are 2.5mm triple flange, so they are substantial, and the hardware on the kit is excellent. You are right that add-on drums are not available, but if you've got a 6 piece set-up already, on an intermediate kit, you're in pretty good shape. The down side, to me, is the limited finish choices, but then I happen to love the Deep Amber finish.

All in all, IMHO, I think the Gretsch Catalina Maple is an excellent intermediate kit, and a great buy as a shell pack for about $700.
    Ah Nuff Said

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    We don't need no steenking plastic drums! -Les
    FOFLMAO Nuff Said

User Info Menu

WAIT......WAIT I'D LOVE TO HAVE SOME..........Any one want to give them to me...................Nobody....................... .....I'm still waiting........................................... ...............SO CLOSE.......

User Info Menu

I was a little dissapointed with the finish of my birch cats. There were a couple of imperfections in the wood surface causing a lump, i guess is the best way to describe it. Still they sound awesome and the hardwear is well sturdy.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I have the same set and I have to agree with what everyone is saying for the money it is a great intermediate set. I changed the heads out right away, as I just didn't want to deal with stock heads and I got a great sound on the 10, 12, and 14 toms. I still can't find that sweet spot though on the 16, every time I try to tune the head to the sound I want it just doesn't ever quite fit in with the other three. I would have to say that is the only frustrating aspect of the set.

Other than that love the set and great review.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyven View Post
    I still can't find that sweet spot though on the 16, every time I try to tune the head to the sound I want it just doesn't ever quite fit in with the other three. I would have to say that is the only frustrating aspect of the set.

Other than that love the set and great review.
    *see post #9 -Les

User Info Menu

I've got the same kit and I had a problem with one of the floor tom legs, it wouldnt fit and still doesnt so my 16" is at an angle... My 10" tom head broke while I was playing bonham triplets around a week ago as well but I love the sound. And your right about the floor toms they're tricky.
    Sticks
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion (Deep Amber)
    10, 12, 14, 16 Toms 14 Snare 22X18 Bass (Stock heads)
    16 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    18 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    10 Inch Paiste PST 3 Splash
    20 Inch Zildjian Ping Ride
    14 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Hi-Hats

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...35.html?t=8435

User Info Menu

Les-
    Did you just replace the tips or all the legs, basically do I want this
    (sorry, but no commercial links are allowed - PB)
    Pearl R-40/3 Floor Tom Rubber Tip - 3-Pack
    or this
    Pearl-LG40-Floor-Tom-Legs-with Air Suspension Feet

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ohmthis View Post
    My one complaint was that the machining of the threads of either the tension rods or the lug inserts were a bit rough. I had to really work hard to get them in by hand. I did not cross thread them if any of you are wondering.
    Agreed! i found the same thing with mine. Only a minor technicality though compared to the great sound that is produced from these drums
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dreyven View Post
    Les-
    Did you just replace the tips or all the legs, basically do I want this
    (sorry, but no commercial links are allowed - PB)
    Pearl R-40/3 Floor Tom Rubber Tip - 3-Pack
    or this
    Pearl-LG40-Floor-Tom-Legs-with Air Suspension Feet
    I purchased the Pearl suspension rubber feet. They come in sets of 3 for like 12-15 dollars They are also available in an entire leg assembly.
    The rubber suspension feet themselves made a huge difference on the resonance and tuneability of my Gretsch Cat Maple floors. -Les