Thread: arrgg toms!

User Info Menu

Default arrgg toms!

Hey ummm it's me again Margrett. lol Well anyways, my toms are giving me fits. Everytime I adjust them they turn out spread eagle. How do you guys get the toms straight and close together, but still get a great angle? Seems like when I have them straight up and down I just hit rim. Thanks.

Ludwigkid

User Info Menu

Default Re: arrgg toms!

Put the toms straight up and down like when you hit the rims. Now lift the tom arms straight up out of the kick. Now angle your drums down.

User Info Menu

That's it? Thats what I've been missing this whole time?!? Wow... thanks!

User Info Menu

Yep.

User Info Menu

THis thread needs pictures.

User Info Menu

Well do you mean of the fixed toms?

User Info Menu

Sure. I would like to see what you have going on.

It is a bit hard to tell, but I got mine pretty close. Hope it helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Yea well i'll try and get some pics up. It also helped that I raised my throne up. lol

Edit: here we go some pics.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by ludwigkid; 01-21-2009 at 09:05 PM.

User Info Menu

yeah, it's a trick that no one seems to know and no one bothers to tell you till you ask. tom arms comming up way out of the kick, quite high then you can get the angles etc.. that you want. I played on toms spread far apart for years before i realised this way of doing it - and it's such a simple thing you have a real "D'oh!" moment.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigkid View Post
    Yea well i'll try and get some pics up. It also helped that I raised my throne up. lol

You have got it!!!!!!! Looks good!!! Makes the 4 stroke Ruff a lot easier up there!

User Info Menu

Yea, (whatever that is.) HUHUHU I have conquered the toms. What is my next challenge. Oh wait I know learning to play them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ludwigkid View Post

Looks decent, you might even want to slant them towards you a little more. Everyone has their own setting that feels right, I find that having the toms set so that my hands are a little below shoulder height is comfortable for me. Then again I kind of tall.

Just a tip, instead of the tissue and tape (or whatever it is) to help dampen ring, get yourself to the local music shop and get some moon gel's. $6 and a wonder! I know most people on here use them. For me they replaced 20 years of duct tape!
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazymanwithaplunger View Post
    yeah, it's a trick that no one seems to know and no one bothers to tell you till you ask. tom arms comming up way out of the kick, quite high then you can get the angles etc.. that you want. I played on toms spread far apart for years before i realised this way of doing it - and it's such a simple thing you have a real "D'oh!" moment.
    I played with my toms spread apart for years also....in fact....I just recently figured out how to get them close, and still have them comfortable for me....it certainly was a "D'oh!" moment....
    ...I am not seeing things as they are....I am seeing things as I am....

User Info Menu

I only have one comment!!

well make that two.

Official cowbell hater.