Thread: Beginning.

User Info Menu

Default Beginning.

I have just got my first drumset..what do you suggest learning to do first..like what sort of rudiments? Because I have like no idea what to start on..and I really suck

User Info Menu

I would just start with getting used to some regular beats 4/4, 2/4 and more importantly rudiments.. I go with Paraddibles and Doubles, along with Single, Double and Triplets for rolls. And some flams. You'll want to start playing beats with the set but if you train yourself for rudiments then you'll become a much better drummer.. Alot faster.
    Also you might want too check out onlinedrummer.com they can help you alot!

User Info Menu

A good exercice for every drummer: paradidles

What are paradidles?
    for example,just play this on your snare:
    R is for right hand (so then you hit your snare with the stick in your right hand)
    L is for left hand.

R-L-R-R-L-R-L-L

Repeat that continously, first slow, then faster. I suggest you use a metronome with this, so you realy keep the tempo, and you can increase it of it works better.

Thats basicly the first step you need to take, paradidles and a metronome
    At least, that's wath I've been told...

User Info Menu

Even before paradiddles, you should learn good sticking technique. This means being able to bounce the stick with your fingertips when playing matched grip.

Try practising little rudiments like this, with a metronome. Slowly at first then build tempo:
    RLRLRLRL
    RRLLRRLL
    RRRLLLRL
    RRRRLLLL
    RRRRRLLL
    RRRRRRLL
    RRRRRRRL
    RRRRRRRR

And then in the opposite way to build strength and dexterity with your left hand:

LRLRLRLR
    LLRRLLRR
    LLLRRRLR
    LLLLRRRR
    LLLLLRRR
    LLLLLLRR
    LLLLLLLR
    LLLLLLLL

Those are some basic sticking rudiments to get you started,
    HB58
    My Kit: Pearl Session Custom 7 Piece w/ Zildjian Cymbals
    My Band: Lead Redemption
    Current Favourite Band: Necrophagist
    Current Favourite Song: To Rid The Disease - Opeth
    Next purchase: Pearl 18"x16" Floor Tom, Zildjian A Custom Crash

Rudiments?

User Info Menu

Do you have a drum teacher?
    My favorite drum teacher uses Joel Rothman books for his very beginners. My first lesson, he taught me how to hold the sticks.

I recently picked up a book: Drum Backbeats Encyclopedia by John Thomakos. In the beginning of the book, he goes into detail about how to practice - how to achieve muscle memory and perfect practice. The key is to start slow. Very Slow. Droolingly slow.

I have one of those metronomes with the arm that swings - I use it to divide the beats into fourths visually. It works for me. My teachers won't let me finish a lesson until I get the timing right, so I use the metronome for accuracy. Right now, I'm practicing 16th notes on the bass drum, on the e and ah - I have my metronome set at 60 bpm to start.

By my kit, I have a music stand (for workbooks) and little table for the metronome - set up where I can see them while sitting straddle the snare.

I've only been playing for about four months, I'm sure some of the more seasoned players can answer your question much better.

~Kay

User Info Menu

hellsbells, I have worked on a snare for about a month..so I know generally how I like to hold the sticks and how to do a few things..not much though

and Kay, not yet..tonight I am going out to our music store and gonna ask the drum teacher a few questions..I have to keep it a low price because I pay for everything myself..and im 16 so I have sort of a low budget :(

User Info Menu

Hey Bsw9090, For drum lessons starting out is wonderful if you get a drum teacher that is on rudiments and just don't start teaching you the kit. This happened too me.. My first teacher taught me the kit before anything else and it really hurt me and took me a considerable amount of time to get back into the rudiments and too get steady. So if your going to go after drum lessons make sure he's teaching you rudiments and stuff like that and not the kit first cause your gonna regret it down the road.

jarhead Guest

well...congrats on gettin the drumset....with the learning,play eighth notes on the hi hat or ride,quarter notes on the bass, and half notes on the snare...thats an easy thing to work on...then get creative and mix it up

User Info Menu

http://www.vicfirth.com/education/rudiments.html

Here ya go. This will help to get you started.