Thread: New Drummer

User Info Menu

Default New Drummer

hi, next year i have to take music, beginning ban seemed better then generl music and choir, so i am thinking of taking beginning band, i know this isnt for a while, but i thought i would start asking some questions. i know there is stuff like the lute, clarinet, tuba, ect. and i believe drums. i think i would like the drums.
    i go to a chicago public school and i see students walking to and from school w/their instruments, usually flutes and clarinets, they are the schools. does that mean i will have to buy drums in order to practice, due to the size of the drums?
    how much do they cost for an average drum set?
    is learning hard and/or confusing?
    how loud do they get? (if i play in the garage, how well can it be heard in the house, garage is not attached to house, maybe 25 or so feet from house)
    should i keep it and practice in the garage?
    how long til i become somewhat good?
    how much should a pratice? (days per week)
    how long? (hours per day)
    what time of day? (so i dont bother neighbors)
    anything you would like to add?
    thanks for all your help,
    hopefully a soon to be beginner drummer girl, Kari

User Info Menu

Default Re: New Drummer

Hi Kari, Welcome to Drum Chat!!

The easiest answer is take up the flute!

If your school supplies the other instruments, they probably have a drum kit for you to play on that stays there. Schools in my area have a deal with a local music store for a rent to own plan on band instruments.

If you do take up the drums, you will obviously need something at home to practice on (and I'm assuming you would take lessons, so would need something for your lessons too). When I took up drums at the age of 12 I started with a rubber practice pad and sticks. My parents bought me a snare drum after that, and I then began taking private lessons on the snare. If you're thinking of buying a full drum kit, you might want to hold off until you start taking some lessons and see if this is something you really like, and until you know you want to stick with it.

Practicing on a practice pad is pretty quiet, so you could practice in the house as much as you want I would think. A snare is going to make quite a bit more noise, but again, my parents were pretty good about letting me practice in the house, and unless you live in an apartment it shouldn't bother your neighbors.

As to whether learning is hard or not, that's up to how much aptitude and natural talent you have. Some people take to it very quickly, and others have to practice a lot more. I would say in most cases it takes a year or longer to become fairly proficient. But truthfully, most people are learning all the time, so you will continue to get better over many years if you stick with it and keep on learning new things.

Have you talked to your parents about your desire to play the drums? That is probably essential before you even worry about what time of day to practice and where.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

if you want drums price is in many ranges. on avrage maby $600-900. i like drums but any time is a good time to practic also maby 30 minuts a day or 100 minuts a weeks. time to become good is reaky if you like it or not also practice time. also any one wouldnt care they would be happy it you pactice.well sound is realy if you want it to be if you hit it hard then well a loud noise. well for a school band you only i think need a snare maby advancd you will need a set im not so sure but maby.
    arrow:

User Info Menu

Welcome Kari!! Drumming is a good thing. If it is something you want to do.... go for it!!!! Norske gave some really good advice, he always does! Just remember if you desire something, make it your best effort!

User Info Menu

Like Norske I started as a kid (although I'm not quite as old as he is), and started on snare only. Drums are a great instrument to learn. The only downside you sometimes find in public schools (being a teacher I know) is that there can be a lot of kids that play drums so sometimes you have to wait around.

Depending on your situation, you might want to do what my son does, which is play drums outside of school and play another instrument (he plays tenor sax) in school band. One of the big upsides of drums, besides them being awesome, is that you can play current music more readily. So being a drummer can very easily extend to your life outside school. This is not so simple with most other instruments.

Good luck with your decision making and let us know how things go.

P.S. Norske, every time I see some tiny kid carrying a trombone or french horn I say, "One word, flute."
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Hey now! My trombone playing helped my bass playing.

I always tell folks if they are gonna pick one instrument as a child, pick piano. That instrument is the most visual for learning, and will do you well your whole life, and you can take drums in school. But, if you only have the time for one, pick the one that you love enough to practice on.
    Yamaha DTXtreme III FrankenXpress w/ various pads and cymbals
    Pearl Eliminator w/Vater Bomber
    Roc-N-Soc Motion
    Vater 7A Sugar Maple
    Simmons DA-200S
    Sony MDR-7506
    MacBookPro Core2 Duo 2.33,4gb,500gb w/SD2, Reason 4, and LE9

http://s591.photobucket.com/albums/ss358/Charlygo/

User Info Menu

CharlyG makes a good point. I don't play piano, but I'm told if you can read piano music, you can read just about any music. And reading music is definitely a plus in learning any instrument.

But really, the drums are awesome. All the REALLY cool kids play drums. And so do I.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

Hello Kari, glad to hear that you might take up drumming! To answer some of the questions you asked, depending on the school, they should provide you with marching equipment (marching snare, bass drum, quads, etc.) And they should have a practice drum set, mine does at least. My high school does not make us buy and bring our own instruments, they have all the concert and marching band instruments already in stock, in fact, our section leader doesn't even have a drum set at home! You may want to speak with the band director at your school for more information on that.

Naturally, when you learn something new, it will be either confusing or hard, my dad said that I wanted to quit the drums because I couldn't get paradiddles down! Over time with patience, and practice, I'm sure you can learn to play the drums.

How loud do they get? Oohh.. about this loud --> |-------|. Drumming can get pretty loud, so if you live in a neighborhood with a houses near you, I'm pretty sure that people will be able to hear you jamming away in your garage. Although, as Norske mentioned, better to hold off buying a whole drum set until you are sure you are serious about it.

Now addressing your last three questions: How long you practice is up to you, I normally practice for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours every day, but you might want to talk to your neighbors and see what time is OK with them for you to practice.

Something I would like to add: If you do take up the drums, please, please, PLEASE, have fun. And don't give up! Good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    Hello Kari, glad to hear that you might take up drumming! To answer some of the questions you asked, depending on the school, they should provide you with marching equipment (marching snare, bass drum, quads, etc.) And they should have a practice drum set, mine does at least. My high school does not make us buy and bring our own instruments, they have all the concert and marching band instruments already in stock, in fact, our section leader doesn't even have a drum set at home! You may want to speak with the band director at your school for more information on that.

Naturally, when you learn something new, it will be either confusing or hard, my dad said that I wanted to quit the drums because I couldn't get paradiddles down! Over time with patience, and practice, I'm sure you can learn to play the drums.

How loud do they get? Oohh.. about this loud --> |-------|. Drumming can get pretty loud, so if you live in a neighborhood with a houses near you, I'm pretty sure that people will be able to hear you jamming away in your garage. Although, as Norske mentioned, better to hold off buying a whole drum set until you are sure you are serious about it.

Now addressing your last three questions: How long you practice is up to you, I normally practice for about 1 to 1 1/2 hours every day, but you might want to talk to your neighbors and see what time is OK with them for you to practice.

Something I would like to add: If you do take up the drums, please, please, PLEASE, have fun. And don't give up! Good luck!
    Excellent advise , how can you not have fun playing drums ? And drums are way cooler than a flute or clarinet any day of the week.Good luck with your decision , and welcome to the board .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Excellent advise , how can you not have fun playing drums ? And drums are way cooler than a flute or clarinet any day of the week.Good luck with your decision , and welcome to the board .
    It is impossible to not have fun playing drums, they are the best instrument, and are better than any of the other instruments (flute, clarinet, etc.) In fact, in 5th and 6th grade I played tuba because I wanted to play something different than drums in school. 2 years. Tuba, tuba, tuba. It was cool the first year, then got boring, so I switched back to drums. Never been musically happier.:D

User Info Menu

Tuba ?.......that thing was probably bigger than you ......lol. I started taking piano lessons when I was in 2nd grade , after about 7 or 8 years of lessons and playing I got board and started playing the drums in 9 th grade . Been playin them a long time now .

About 2 years ago I bought myself an elctric fiddle to learn how to play , wishin I would have done that 20 years ago. Its always good to play a couple different instruments if possible , can never have too much fun .

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the help so far!!! I've emailed the band teacher a couple times, and tomorrow after school, im going to visit the classroom and askk some more questions, about the class and the drums in general.
    can someone explain this email he sent me when i asked if the drums are in beginning band?
    ""drums" are in the beginning band - if you request this area you are learning "percussion" which means you will also be learning mallets, bass drum and timpani."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Julian View Post
    It is impossible to not have fun playing drums, they are the best instrument, and are better than any of the other instruments (flute, clarinet, etc.) In fact, in 5th and 6th grade I played tuba because I wanted to play something different than drums in school. 2 years. Tuba, tuba, tuba. It was cool the first year, then got boring, so I switched back to drums. Never been musically happier.:D
    that is one reason i want to play the drums! they seem so fun. instruments like the violin, clarinet, flute, etc. seem kinda boring.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wpcp12 View Post
    can someone explain this email he sent me when i asked if the drums are in beginning band?
    ""drums" are in the beginning band - if you request this area you are learning "percussion" which means you will also be learning mallets, bass drum and timpani."
    The school teaches percussion, meaning they teach more than just snare drum or drum kit. Think marching band and that's where you would possibly play the bass drum, as in carrying one and hitting it. Timpani are large kettle drums used by orchestras, and also sometimes marching bands when they play in a stationary position. Mallets are used to play various percussion instruments, most notably Vibraphones and Xylophones. Bells, chimes, marimbas and even tambourines are percussion instruments.

It sounds like you could become a well rounded percussionist if you pursue this!
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wpcp12 View Post
    hi, next year i have to take music, beginning ban seemed better then generl music and choir, so i am thinking of taking beginning band, i know this isnt for a while, but i thought i would start asking some questions. i know there is stuff like the lute, clarinet, tuba, ect. and i believe drums. i think i would like the drums.
    i go to a chicago public school and i see students walking to and from school w/their instruments, usually flutes and clarinets, they are the schools. does that mean i will have to buy drums in order to practice, due to the size of the drums?
    how much do they cost for an average drum set?
    is learning hard and/or confusing?
    how loud do they get? (if i play in the garage, how well can it be heard in the house, garage is not attached to house, maybe 25 or so feet from house)
    should i keep it and practice in the garage?
    how long til i become somewhat good?
    how much should a pratice? (days per week)
    how long? (hours per day)
    what time of day? (so i dont bother neighbors)
    anything you would like to add?
    thanks for all your help,
    hopefully a soon to be beginner drummer girl, Kari
    hey wpcp12! welcome to drumchat. im a band guy at victoria school for the arts, and the instruments (forgive my spelling) are uphonium, tuba, percussion, flute, french horn, clarinet, trumpet, trombone, bass, and saxaphone. i dont know if your school is the same but in my band to play percussion you have to first play a normal instrument and then audition in front of the teacher.percussion stuff stays in the band room and you receive sticks, practice pad, and a case.(i ended up buying some better equipment at long and mquade) i dont know much about drum kits so i'll answer your 2 practice questions. first of all it really depends on what you consider good, but in about 2 months of working ahead of the class in my music book i had mastered most of the rudiments and songs. i'd say to practice about 10 minutes a day or more, EVERY DAY! practicing consistently is the key to getting better, as stuff is still fresh in your memory.

good luck!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Norske View Post
    The school teaches percussion, meaning they teach more than just snare drum or drum kit. Think marching band and that's where you would possibly play the bass drum, as in carrying one and hitting it. Timpani are large kettle drums used by orchestras, and also sometimes marching bands when they play in a stationary position. Mallets are used to play various percussion instruments, most notably Vibraphones and Xylophones. Bells, chimes, marimbas and even tambourines are percussion instruments.

It sounds like you could become a well rounded percussionist if you pursue this!
    So i should not thinking about buying a drum set or what? since i would be working on several things. how would i be able to practice at home?

so i wouldnt be working on a drum set like this?:

User Info Menu

the closest i've come to this is playing orcestral percusion
    you appear to never use a drum kit when your doing this there is always one over in the corner though i've never seen it used (i play in the orcestra which practices every month but only occansionally on percussion)
    tends to be one person on bass drum one on snare one on timps one on chimes one on cymbals etc
    it might be like this in your band or not i don't know also depends on what kind of stuff you play i've seen big bands perform with someone on drum kit.

you could think about getting a drum kit because you might need something to practice on at home (you could practice most patterns and things on the drum/cymbal that sounds most like the one your playing in band) and learning on the kit is great fun and you could maybe join a band in future or something

or if you needed to practice you could ask if you could use the schools kit or any other type of percusion you need to after school this could also be a good way of working out which types of precusion you like best and you could get your own of them. you might find you prefere tuned percusion (timpany drums etc)

User Info Menu

Welcome to drum chat! I'm a band drummer myself, that's where I started. Well I prefer to call that area of my stuff percussion. Are you sure you'll be on drumset, you enjoy tuned percussion as tori said, or you could be like me and enjoy the keyboards, which are like piano. (Just with mallets lol). I'd recommend playing a good mix of all these things, I think that in a few ways percussion is the most versatile thing to learn as you learn rhythms alone, and you learn how to play notes. Not to mention build muscle memory and periphial (sp?) vision. As for practicing at home, I have numerous drum pads, my drum set, some hand percussion, and a bell kit... I would say a set is a nice thing to have, and drum pads are also great!
    My Set:
    5 Piece PDP FS series
    Joey Jordison Signature Snare
    Sabian B8 14", 18" Thin Crashes
    Sabian B8 16" Thin Crash Dented Edition
    Sabian XS20 14" Medium Hi-Hats
    Sabian B8 20" Ride
    Paiste Innovative 20" Heavy Ride
    Jhmeg2 Über Ride 20" Special Edition

User Info Menu

wpcp12.....in the school band , in the percussion section , students will learn and take turns playing all the instruments. Like the bass drum , snare drum , cymbals , bells , even the wood block or a cowbell .

That doesnt mean you need to purchase all that or even a drum set . Most likely if any thing it will be just a snare drum which is usually a rent to own program so if you loose interest on it your folks arent stuck for a lot of money buying it in the beginning .

The drum set is usually left for the jazz band , which is typically a try-out to get the best of the best musicians together . You will definately enjoy the concert band and when get older join marching band which is equally as much fun.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    The drum set is usually left for the jazz band , which is typically a try-out to get the best of the best musicians together . You will definately enjoy the concert band and when get older join marching band which is equally as much fun.
    i play drums in jazz band at school, i was getting a bit confused by that (it's the only thing with band in it that i play in at school i was wondering if it was similar)

a practice pad would be good to start with then or you could get a snare (you might be able to rent one from your school i have no idea) you can also buy certain ones fairly cheap i believe

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Tori and Kari!

Kari, I agree with Tori that getting a practice pad and sticks is the smartest place to start. That's where I started. I started by working on basic sticking patterns, and then rudiments. After that you will be woking on instruction from the band director, and you will be directed into whatever form of percussion that the band requires of you. At that point, you'll be able to decide what you want to pursue on your own.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tori View Post
    i play drums in jazz band at school, i was getting a bit confused by that (it's the only thing with band in it that i play in at school i was wondering if it was similar)

a practice pad would be good to start with then or you could get a snare (you might be able to rent one from your school i have no idea) you can also buy certain ones fairly cheap i believe
    The concert band is what everyone joins in elementary school and continues into your senior year in HS .

The jazz band starts in middle school now ( used to be HS in my day ) and that is just a few band members from each section , usually 1st and 2nd chair , maybe 3 rd seat .

And as PB stated welcome to DC Tori and Kari .

User Info Menu

hey Im new drummer too I started playing drums about a year ago, its the best thing ive ever done, I cant begin to explain the awsome sensation that you get once you get good enough to play along with your favorite song, I'm 48 yrs old, i only wish that would have had an opportuinty to play when i was your age. I say "go for it" i can almost guarantee that youll love it. but be patient, "learn the basics", that can be the boring repetitive part but all of a sudden it comes together. when it does, youll remember this message.