Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: used drumset?

User Info Menu

Default used drumset?

Hi, i'm an 18 year old male and have wanted to play the drums as far back as i can remember, and i'm in the process of buying a used 5 piece kit from a pawn shop. it's a pulse drum kit and i was j/w are these good beginner drum sets?

also the heads on the toms are scratched will that affect anything or can i just replace it with some new heads? btw the whole kit cost $300

and the guy that runs the drums section of the ps is really helpful he has said he'll show me some things on the drums but other than that i won't have enough money to afford a drum teacher.

is there any tips you guys can give me to learn how to play the drums or should i just listen to songs and try to play them? also incase your wondering i know about the rudiments but they seem boring =(

but if they will help me learn to play the drums i'll do them, i'm determined to learn lol but sorry for the long post i just have a lot of questions. i'm looking forward to your responses and this is an awesome website!!

User Info Menu

Default Re: used drumset?

First of all, welcome to Drum Chat Drummer118!

Second, yes the rudiments are important, so even though they might seem boring, you will never be a good drummer unless you learn them. You can't build a building without the proper materials, and you can't build a drummer without the proper materials - rudiments are those materials.

Third, the Pulse kit will be fine, and yes the heads can be replaced, so not to worry too much. I do hope that for $300 you are getting hardware with the kit, and since it's used, I hope you are getting cymbals too.

Finally, since you can't afford lessons, click on the "DRUM LINKS" on the navagator bar at the top of the page, and go to the drum lessons (including the drum tuning lessons). There are tons of lessons there that can help you.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Larrysperf Guest

Welcome and ruds might seem boring at first but I love to sit and play them watching tv in the car parked waiting for someone (never while driving lol) and I have been drumming since I was 7 years old and now Im well old so have fun. Pulse is a started set but if you get drums cymbals and hardware then go for it. Nuff Said

User Info Menu

Welcome to drumming. I hope your ready, it's going to be a blast.

Now for the purchase. I am not trying to discourage you from making this deal, but it is a pawn shop and so YOU really need to do some negotiating on this one. Even with cheap hardware and cymbals it isn't worth 300.00. I see them go on ebay and craigslist for around 150.00 w/hardware and cymbals, ALL THE TIME. So please do some research and check out CRAIGSLIST.

And again, get ready to add a TON of fun to your life

User Info Menu

Let me add my welcome as well. OCD is right about the PS kit. You can get it for about 1/2 of what is being asked. Pulse is a real beginner's kit and not of any great quality...just right for what you want at this time. As for the rudiments, every pattern you can play on the drums is derived from one rudiment or another... get used to it, 'cause it's gonna be a lot of fun. BTW, about 6 months from now, the drums are going to be sitting in a corner because you got bored. Not you fault, just need to know how to go about it. That you'll learn when you decide to take lessons.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

thanks everyone for the replies! and yeah when i've went to the ps the guy there has let me bang around on a really nice yamaha 5 piece set they have set up and i believe you can buy it for $800....only if i had the money lol.

also yeah i should try negotiating b/c yeah it comes with hardware but only 1 ride cymbal i believe, and it's one of the cheap ones so later on of course i'm gonna need to buy more better quality cymbals and that's gonna run $100+ dollars and the only bad thing is well, i'm a really bad negotiater lol, and as far as ruduments go, i'm gonna practice them everyday even if there boring

b/c 1. i wanna be a drummer and 2. the first song i wanna learn on the drums is kashmir by led zeppelin

User Info Menu

I agree with PB and Frank. That set and the heads will work just fine for you . I do think the price is high , welcome to the board .

User Info Menu

Ditto to the above. Learn the rudiments. They are the foundation upon which your drumming chops are built. They will help you build speed naturally, rather than trying to force it.
    Robert

"Ok Guys This Is In Da Key Of Boom Chick Boom Boom Chick...." - SIR PHROGGE

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

Zildjian League #1 Flunkie

User Info Menu

okay so i should learn the rudiments but do i have to learn all 40 or maybe just half of those?

User Info Menu

hhmm...i posted another reply over 2-3 hours ago i guess i messed up lol but in my first reply i said that yes the drumset has all the hardware except for a tuning key (which will cost me $30 i believe) and it includes a ride cymbal but it's a cheap one so i'll have to upgrade later on..right now i don't have the money unfortunately.

and i should try negotiating but the problem is i am a really bad negotiator lol but maybe if i go in there with $200 in cash and say look i've already put $40 down to lay it away (that shows how cheap i am lol) maybe he'll let me have it for $240 vs. $300

User Info Menu

Well, life's a journey, not a destination. In all seriousness, make it your goal to learn and master them all. It will take a good bit of time, but the more you learn, the easier the next one will be. The goal in rudiments in not necessarily the rudiments themselves, but to advance your sticking technique and build speed naturally. Knowing and practicing them will help you throughout your drumming career.

And you can always learn other things at the same time. You don't have to - nor would you likely want to - dedicated your entire practice session to rudiments. A lot of players have a lot of different techniques, but many start out their practice sessions, and warm up before gigs, with some combination of rudiments and speed exercises. Personally, I start with 10-20 minutes of rudiments and exercises to improve my timing (see AndyC's post here: http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...67.html?t=8467) to get warmed up. I then will work on specific fills or songs for the rest of my session.

Hope that helps. Keep us posted on your progress.
    Robert

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, design a building, write a sonnet, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, solve equations, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." Robert Heinlein

User Info Menu

k i will and yes the drumset comes with all the hardware except the drumkey and it comes with a cheap ride cymbal which i'll have to upgrade later also i suck at negotiating but maybe if i go in there with $200 plus i've already put down $40 on it to put it in layaway he'll let me have it for $60 cheaper

User Info Menu

By the way, I just noticed you are in Morristown. You have a few other fellow Tennesseans here as well. Welcome to the forum.
    Robert

User Info Menu

The pulse set will definately get you started, but $300 is definately too much for one used. I did a quick search, and you can buy that set brand new from two different on-line retailers with hardware and cymbals for $300.00. One of them will even sell you one for $249.00 if you buy it in black. I would do a google search on pulse drums print out a couple of the on-line deals, and tell the pawn shop owner to drop his price, or you'll walk.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

hey i also see your from tennessee that's cool..i didn't know more tennesseans also played the drums lol and yeah i will ask him to drop his price....b/c not only would that save me money but i'd get to play it quicker

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer118 View Post
    Hi, i'm an 18 year old male and have wanted to play the drums as far back as i can remember, and i'm in the process of buying a used 5 piece kit from a pawn shop. it's a pulse drum kit and i was j/w are these good beginner drum sets?

also the heads on the toms are scratched will that affect anything or can i just replace it with some new heads? btw the whole kit cost $300

and the guy that runs the drums section of the ps is really helpful he has said he'll show me some things on the drums but other than that i won't have enough money to afford a drum teacher.

is there any tips you guys can give me to learn how to play the drums or should i just listen to songs and try to play them? also incase your wondering i know about the rudiments but they seem boring =(

but if they will help me learn to play the drums i'll do them, i'm determined to learn lol but sorry for the long post i just have a lot of questions. i'm looking forward to your responses and this is an awesome website!!

Pulse are decent beginner kits. It will work for you to figue out if you are passionate or not.

Yeah 300 is way to much, when you can buy a new one for 250.

I know most people say beginner kits are all the same but i recommend an Orbitone or a Mapex Q

Orbitone has birch basswood shells, so the shells have more potential. and the Mapex Q is poplar but the hardware is good.

I am not a fan of pulse so i would say look around on ebay for a used kit from a bigger name, or orbitone.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I got my ludwig for $320 with hardware ( no cymbals ) off of ebay. I would say $300 is alot for a pulse. They guy I bought my drumset off of has alot of great deals. I can give you a link if you want to check his stuff out.

P.S. I'm not doing anything wrong by offering to give him a link right?

Ludwigkid

User Info Menu

hey yeah i noticed you and pastor bob are also from tennessee i didn't know other tennesseans wanted to play or did play the drums lol and yeah now that i've heard what you guys have said and looking it up $300 is too much for a used set....also thank you everyone for your replies and when i get more knowledge on drums and other drum-related topics i'll respond to your guy's threads lol also when i get the drumset i'll put it in the drumset thread =)

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by drummer118 View Post
    hey yeah i noticed you and pastor bob are also from tennessee i didn't know other tennesseans wanted to play or did play the drums lol and yeah now that i've heard what you guys have said and looking it up $300 is too much for a used set....also thank you everyone for your replies and when i get more knowledge on drums and other drum-related topics i'll respond to your guy's threads lol also when i get the drumset i'll put it in the drumset thread =)
    That how they used to comunicate till last year when they all got dial up phones lol

User Info Menu

Good luck on the set 118 , I would definately see if you could get it for 200 , it probably sold for 300 new . If its what you want and you like it then its worth the money .It will serve you well tostart with, let us know how you make out getting it .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    That how they used to comunicate till last year when they all got dial up phones lol

lmao it's true and yeah just to let everyone know i hope to have the set sometime around the first of feb. and thanks gonefishin

User Info Menu

Hey drummer118 I say look ,look and look for used sets. I got a yamaha set with cymbals for $100 bought some heads on sale cleaned it up and it was nice had $125 and a little time in it !! Don't get in a hurry shop !

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    Hey drummer118 I say look ,look and look for used sets. I got a yamaha set with cymbals for $100 bought some heads on sale cleaned it up and it was nice had $125 and a little time in it !! Don't get in a hurry shop !
    He says that in his car to hurry up hurry up, its only 1/4 mile

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post

holly crap you got a yamaha for $100 now that's a deal i'd like to find.....but yeah i know i shouldn't be rushing and trying to get the first used set i see but i tried looking at craigs list and no one was selling used drumsets near me, and man if i don't want to play the drums more and more everyday i don't have any

User Info Menu

wait...i take that back hopefully there still selling it but i found a tama swingstar drum kit for $185 in my town the only downside is it doesn't have a bass pedal and the hi-hat has some wear in it..would this be a better deal?
    Last edited by drummer118; 01-26-2009 at 01:10 PM.