Thread: songs

User Info Menu

Cool songs

i want to get started on more songs but i dont know any ez ones (not acdc)i got a set with 2 toms floor tom a snare hh mediam crash and thin ride and spare cymbols. also 3 extra toms.

User Info Menu

Default Re: songs

Stick with the basics kid! AC/DC is good for your timing, try some easy stuff like the Beatles, Rolling Stones, etc... It's important to build your foundation, a house cannot stay up without a good foundation. Timing is your foundation, build on it!

User Info Menu

Well lilkick, it all depends on what you WANT to be able to play. I agree with afformentioned idea of sticking to basics like AC/DC, Beatles and allot of those older rock groups - just about every song is a straight 4/4 pattern built around solid timing as opposed to flashy fills or speed or anything else. This is a good foundation - no arguments there.

That being said though, there are times where you just wanna have fun, and not worry about timing or doing it right or whatever, or perhaps you HATE music like AC/DC and The Beatles and playing them makes your skin crawl (kinda like me)

Think more about what you want to play - i'm a big believer in attempting to play things outside your skill level, only becuase after a while, it's no longer outside your skill level. Some people get discouraged by this sort of thing, BUT if you stick to playing something harder than you currently play, it stops being so hard, and before you know it you forget why you found it hard in the first place.

I'm not gonna suggest songs, but instead suggest an idea. Pick your favourite music/bands and listen to some of their stuff. Pick what YOU think are say the three easiest songs, or most basic and then play along to them. Right or wrong, make it or not doesn't matter. Stuff them up majorly for all it matters, just play them. If you lose your timing, stop, listen and start again. Don't know how to do that fill? that's ok, do something else that fits in (this allows you to learn to be creative and original while playing someone elses song - a good skill to have, and also emphasises still getting the right feel and timing down so you don't lose your place in the song with a fill that is too short or too long). The most important thing is this - HAVE FUN!!!!!!! Don't get discouraged - dont expect too much of yourself. If you go into playing a song, knowing you'll probably stuff it up, then you can't let yourself down. Also just becuase you'll stuff it up - so what? Does it really matter? Is it going to make the song any worse? Will the band ever hear you stuff it up? If you worry about other people hearing so what - do you play for them or yourself? See my point? There is no reason to NOT play things your not yet capable of - the speed, independance all that stuff is learnt over time by doing it - just like a body builder gets his muscles by lifting things at the absolute limit of his strength, do the same with drumming. A lifter will lift to the point where they physically can't lift anymore becuase this is what forces the body to get stronger so they CAN lift that weight. Drumming is the same - make yourself go at it and before you know it, you'll be able to play that song - whatever it may be.

My own perosnal example is Blink 182 - Dammit - a pretty straight song, but with allot of real quick double strokes on the kick. My right leg is dead by the end of that song - I can just barely do it with my pedal. A couple of months ago I couldn't get much past the first chorus, my foot just couldn't do it - but i've kept playing it and kept playing and now I can pretty much do it. I know if I keep doing it soon it'll be fairly easy. Allot of people would say stuff like - go away, keep practising your foot technqiue and building up speed then try again after 3 months....blah blah blah. It's not that that advice is bad, it's just not my way of doing. Like I said - i'm suggesting an idea. Personally I hate practising rudiments and doing exercises - i find them boring, uninpsiring and I don't notice a great improvement in my actual playing as a result of them. I have always gotten my greatest gains by playing songs beyond my ability and working up to them over time - and can then use those abilities in other songs too.

I've kind of rambled on here I know, long answer to a short question, but oh well - i just want to make sure you don't get bogged down in the "do this untill you can do that" mentallity that so many people seem to have, because to be honest - it seems that way of thinking takes twice as long - that's my observation anyway.
    Last edited by crazymanwithaplunger; 01-22-2009 at 07:51 PM.
    "What consumes your mind, controls your life" - So, what consumes your mind?

Subrick Guest

I play 90s Metallica for timing. Try some of that.

User Info Menu

for your timing play any song that you here on a mainstream pop rock station. they all are slightly different but basically the same beat. weezer is good, radiohead"creep", ACDC.

You have to start somewhere the more songs you learn the easier it will be to learn harder ones.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

What do you like??? If you listen to the drums, you may find some easy songs.

User Info Menu

I'm with Zeta, Weezer is a good place for newer drummers to start.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

I agree with what Zeta said. Put the radio on!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: songs

What Vinny Said....Turn Up Da Radio & Groove.....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Nirvana's songs are a great place to start for any aspiring musician. When you want to take it to the next level, go check out some Red Hot Chili Pepper songs, they're all fantastic musicians and you'll learn a lot from them.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    Nirvana's songs are a great place to start for any aspiring musician. When you want to take it to the next level, go check out some Red Hot Chili Pepper songs, they're all fantastic musicians and you'll learn a lot from them.
    id say certain nirvana songs, i wouldnt consider nirvana acdc easy to start with to be honest. but someone said weezer earlier. perfect choice
    Got to stop hitting my self in the face with those drumsticks!!

User Info Menu

I would also suggest some Audio Slave. Like a Stone.... and I am the Highway comes to mind.