Thread: Need some advices...

User Info Menu

Smile Need some advices...

Hey guys,
    I'm totally new to drums, have no experience at all, but lately i've become a little tired of just making noises on stuff and thought i'd buy an e-kit.
    Again, I have no experience so it's mainly for practice and fun.
    I barely have a place even for a very small kit so that's why after searching a little bit I think that the Roland TD-3KW or MEDELI DD-506 fit me the most.

I've been wanting to know if the MEDELI DD-506 is basically the exact same thing as the Simmons SD7K? cuz from what I understand in the MEDELI the cymbals are chokable but they aren't in the Simmons.
    I've seen many mixed opinions about the Simmons... some just say to stay away from this kit cuz it goes dead after not that much time, so... is that basically the same about the MEDELI as well?

Is the Roland td3 much better? if so I think this should be more than enough for me (even though the bigger TDs are very tempting).
    How much a new TD-3KW should cost?

I'd like to hear any opinions/suggestions,
    Thanks!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Need some advices...

Welcome to Drum Chat Red4u!

I can't speak to the e-kits with much real advice. I can say that I bought a Simmons SD7K, and i had some fun on it, but I really bought it for my daughter and her family as they are not in a situation where they can have acoustic drums (military). The Simmons kit is holding up well so far, because I hardly ever play it, because I just love playing my acoustic kit.

Again, welcome!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

hi there

i would go for a Roland. it depends on the size of your place and how much but about small rom i would go for a roland TD3 or one of Roland Vdrums lite avrage room a Roland TD6 if you can find 1 or a TD9 large room TD12 or 20 but a TD12 would fit in avrage room to but scrap the simmons go with roland

User Info Menu

Thanks both

td9 is much better so it might be an option, but i'm not sure... I don't wanna go crazy with the money since I have no idea if i'll be any good and my room is all surrounded with big heavy furnitures so I have VERY little empty space close to the wall (I really don't wanna place it in the middle of everything)... every mm counts lol..
    I'll probably have to go with the td3 eventually.

Is there an option to replace the rubber pads of the toms with mesh heads and replace the snare with a better and bigger mesh head for the td3? (don't think i'll ever wanna do that but just in case...)
    Last edited by red4u; 02-07-2009 at 09:36 AM.

User Info Menu

no offense, but dont listen to these guys..

make a long story short, i couldnt play drums, i bought a crappy electric kit (equal quality to the medeli kits) after 2 years, the thing is totally destroyed, but i can play drums, and now i have an acoustic kit

for someone looking to learn to play the drums, my best advice is to get the cheapest electric kit you can find, practice on it every day (even the crappy ones are pretty quiet) and by the time you're ready to graduate to an acoustic kit, the thing is gonna be toast.

i could NOT.. in sound mind, reccomend a beginner to get a high dollar roland or yamaha kit. either its going to get ruined with bad technique, or you just dont get into drums, either way thats $1000 down the drain. $399 is a lot less of a sacrifice to pay to learn the drums.

User Info Menu

Just curious seanforever, what crappy electronic kit did you start out on and how's your acoustic kit holding up?

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ABCgang View Post
    Just curious seanforever, what crappy electronic kit did you start out on and how's your acoustic kit holding up?
    it was the simmons sd5k

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...it-?sku=443369

$399

medeli is a hong kong electronics manufacturer, they basically make ALL the low dollar e-kits; simmons, alesis, medeli, if its under 900 its probably a crappily made hong kong kit which are all knockoff's of each other

i wouldnt consider myself a hard hitter, these things just are NOT built to last, period, but thats the point. would you buy a $5k orange county drum kit and $2k zildjians for your first kit? hell no, so why would you buy a $1-2k roland kit? thats just my opinion though, imo.

my acoustic kit is holding up fine, btw

User Info Menu

SF, that is exactly why I bought the SD7K kit for my daughter and her family. They came here for a visit, and fell in love with my Gretsch Catalina drums. I paid attention, and saw enough raw talent that I thought it deserved a chance to be nurtured, so I decided to buy them the SD7K kit when it was on a seasonal discount. At the moment, it is at my house waiting for the kids to be reassigned to their next base. After that I will either ship it to them, or I will take it to them. If the family really gets into drumming, I can always help them upgrade later.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I had the the TD12, very nice but nothing beats an acustic kit. This said, the e-kits allow you play in apartments, dorms etc where an acustic kit may bother some people. I agree with an earlier post, in that if you are not sure you want to play, then get a cheaper to mid grade e-kit and go from there.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seanforever View Post
    it was the simmons sd5k

http://drums-percussion.musiciansfri...it-?sku=443369

$399

medeli is a hong kong electronics manufacturer, they basically make ALL the low dollar e-kits; simmons, alesis, medeli, if its under 900 its probably a crappily made hong kong kit which are all knockoff's of each other

i wouldnt consider myself a hard hitter, these things just are NOT built to last, period, but thats the point. would you buy a $5k orange county drum kit and $2k zildjians for your first kit? hell no, so why would you buy a $1-2k roland kit? thats just my opinion though, imo.

my acoustic kit is holding up fine, btw
    The ION kit for rock band looks really close to that, mind you the HH pedal is the base pedal on the kit lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like to stick a drumstick up my nose while playing 64ths on double bass at 208.
    Epic Win.

User Info Menu

look at the yamaha dtxpress4. it's around the same price as the td3 - at least here it is but has much more functions and gadgets. and supposedly it's very similar to the td9 - not sure on that one though....

User Info Menu

also on quality, you have to be quite wreckless with e-kits to break them and if you do, you can just interchange the items which are broken. it's like changing drumheads on a normal kit. especially if you gig a lot(or move it a lot) you will have to change the cables sometime. if you get mesh heads you might need to replace them after a few years as well. they don't break quickly at all though. and from what i've heard, roland has some really top notch customer service.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the other advices. I still don't wanna go for something too cheap cuz I believe I won't get tired of it that fast so i'd rather have something better that will last longer. Also, I live in an apartment so i'll never have the option to get an acoustic kit... therefore I don't see any reason to go for something too cheap- cuz anyway I can't go for something better than the td-3 (or maximum td-9) if it's because of the place or noise problems... i'm pretty tied there. Unfortunately, no many upgrade options for me out there whether i'm a beginner or not.

User Info Menu

red4u, If you have never played drums before and are just starting out, the worst thing you can do is start out on a E-kit. If you want to learn how to play the drums it is very important that you start out with an acoustic kit. If you learn on an E-kit and then switch to acoustic you will be learning all over again. The two kits have a totally different feel.

I've been playing drums for 30 years. At one point in my career I played. E-drums exclusivly for 5 years, when I went back to acoustics it took quite some time to get the feel for them back. Playing acoustic drums takes far more power and stamina the an e-kit takes.

I now play the Yamaha DTXTREME lll E-kit exclusivly so I do love E-kits, but you will regret it if you start out on one. Pick up a decent 4 piece acoustic kit and have at it.

User Info Menu

I understand that starting out on an e-kit is probably not the best idea and I bet the feel is totally different. Of course i'd like to have the "real" thing but noise is always gonna be an issue so even if it's a 4 piece acoustic I just can't have it.
    Like I said, I don't think i'll ever have the option to switch to acoustic kit but IF it still gonna happen someday then I guess I would start learning all over again until I get used to it if that's what it takes.
    My options are very limited so if I want to finally start practicing some beats on something that sounds like actual drums it's either an e-kit or nothing =\ I choose an e-kit, although it has its downsides.

User Info Menu

red4u,

Actually, the worst thing for you is not to play at all. Your stuck in an apartment so an ekit is necessary. It doesn't matter which brand you buy or how much you spend at this stage of the game. Buy what you can afford and play away. Regardless if you start out on an akit or ekit, you'll get better with practice, experience and time. If you ever find yourself in a position to play an akit, you'll adjust to the feel and move on as dedicated musicians do.

Good luck with your journey.
    Last edited by ABCgang; 02-09-2009 at 05:17 PM.

User Info Menu

Lol that's a positive way of thinking. You're right
    Thanks a lot!

User Info Menu

red4u,

Yeah it is, but it gets old hearing the same talk about how this brand sucks or that brand is the best or you won't like that or only buy this kit. The bottom line is if you find a kit (regardless whether it's electronic or acoustic) you enjoy playing, then buy it and play. Yes, rubber, mesh, mylar, bronze and acrylic all feel different when struck by a stick, but it's apparent you need an ekit due to your noise circumstances. Try to test drive all the ekits you can and pick the one that satisfies your needs (ie, price, options, upgradeable, brand, eye candy, etc...). Good luck.

Oh yeah, I started out on rubber pads and broke numerous sticks hitting them hard, but never wore the pads out. Now I play the mesh kit below and have not torn a mesh head or broke a stick. I still play hard, but I guess over time my technique changed

Last edited by ABCgang; 02-09-2009 at 08:15 PM.