Thread: Painting Harware Black

User Info Menu

Question Painting Harware Black

I haven't been on here in a while, spending time on PDF. But good to be back! So, I just bought three Export EX6 Rack Toms for my kit, Jet black with Black Hardware. So I got a black wrap to match the rest of my kit. Now, my kit, including my snare and its hardware is black, but theres a problem. The bass drum and floor tom still have chrome hardware. I want to "paint" them black but I am having trouble finding info on it, and I don't want to pay a crap load of money, and since its only two peices, I want to do it myself. Does anyone happen to have a guide to this, with supplies I will need, and paint recommendations? It'd be really appreciated!

Thanks!
    TAMA//VIC FIRTH//EVANS//ZILDJIAN//SABIAN

I AM HERE TO RIDE BIKE!!!1!11!!1!

User Info Menu

Painting is never going to be as anodized black metal. If you are going to be paint it, I would suggest a nice good enamel glass black. Clean the hardware real good. Before painting, wipe down with rubbing alcohol and let dry. The alcohol will get the last of the dirt off. Paint in light coats and let each coat dry for a couple of days to make sure it is nice and hard.

Keith

User Info Menu

Make sure you primer it first with a good automotive primer or your paint is going to chip off very easily!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

and you may have to etch the chrome finish for the paint to stick, too.
    Word to the wise : don't mess with the drummer.

User Info Menu

Lightbulb Painting hardware black

If you have a buddy who's an auto painting and/or body-and-fender man, you might get some tips from him, since everything mentioned so far is what a good auto repair expert would do when someone wants to paint chrome bumpers, as on a street rod. At the very least, he might be able to give you some pointers...or he might just cut you a good deal on the paint work!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default So true!

Quote Originally Posted by BigTallG
    and you may have to etch the chrome finish for the paint to stick, too.
    I painted automobiles for years. Very good advice!
    DancehallDoctor -Pearl drums

User Info Menu

I would suggest getting the chrome stripped off the hardware first. There are a few company in the U.S. that will do it. As stated by some of the Crue here, check out an automotive body shop. They can probably send it out for you. Second use a "hot" automotive primer that will etch into the metal. Thirdly use a lacquer based paint. The "hot" solvents will stick much better to the metal than a krylon enamel. Finally see if the auto body shop will "bake" it for you while they are working on a car. Good Luck!!
    PLEASE PLAY RESPONSIBLY.... DON'T DRINK AND DRUM!!

My Kit: Vintage Ludwig Classic Maple 26 kick 14, 16, 18 toms, Paiste 2002 Cymbals, Paiste Giant Beat 15" Hats

User Info Menu

Or just take some sandpaper to it, if it dosnt peel the chrome, itll put some nice scratches in the metal for the paint to stick, use a coarser paper than switch to fine right before the end

Then try that out, paint in a thing coat, let dry for a day, paint another thin coat, dry, do that like maybe 3-5 times?