Thread: Learning 2 instruments

User Info Menu

Default Learning 2 instruments

I was talking to one of my friends who plays guitar and he was talking to me about my drummming. He seemed intrested came over and watched and said that was something he would like to learn but is in the process of learning guitar. So i guess what i am getting at hs what do you guys think of learning two instruments at once. Keep in mind my friend is been playing guitar for about 5 months and his still learning.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Learning 2 instruments

i learned both guitar and drums around the same time, i had been playing guitar 6 months before i started drums and ive been learning both since. ive never found them to interfere with each other or affect my learning of each instrument. they're 2 different disciplines in many ways
    Got to stop hitting my self in the face with those drumsticks!!

User Info Menu

Same for me.

all the best...

User Info Menu

I started on piano [quite a few years] and switched to drums [after much pleading and tears] I dropped the piano cold and have never had the urge to go back, though it did give me a great start and understanding of music. If you are commited and pracise i dont see a problem learning the two instruments, you will naturally find out which one draws you to it the most.
    good luck

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    I started on piano [quite a few years] and switched to drums [after much pleading and tears] I dropped the piano cold and have never had the urge to go back, though it did give me a great start and understanding of music. If you are commited and pracise i dont see a problem learning the two instruments, you will naturally find out which one draws you to it the most.
    good luck
    I agree . I took 7 or 8 years of piano lessons ( and enjoyed the instrument ).It wasnt really painful but I did get bored . Ayear later I started on the drums and have played them ever since .

I have started teaching my self how to play violin and guitar but wishing I would have done it 20 years ago . Im still drawn to drums , just looking at something else for more fun . The more the merrier , right ?

User Info Menu

I play several instruments fairly well. I've played piano, guitar and trombone semi-professionally, and have picked up drums and have been playing them in church for a little while now. There are pros and cons to learning more than one instrument. The biggest con to being a multi-instrumentalist is that if I devoted all my combined practice time to one instrument I would be a lot better at that one instrument. Playing more than one gives you a better understanding of music, and it's structure, and makes you more rounded. It helps break the monotony up a little, to practice on different instruments. All depends on what your goals are. If you want to be the best drummer (or pianist, guitarist, etc) that you can be, then learning a second instrument won't be as effective as spending all your time immersing yourself in that one instrument will. If your goal is to be a well rounded musician, or to write, or arrange music, learning a second instrument can really help.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Amen CD! If you are consistent with practice, you will progress faster by concentrating on one instrument. However, there is nothing wrong with learning another instrument.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Hi,

A friend of mine who is a classically trained orchestral trombonist told me that when he was at music college the aim was to become as proficient on your instrument as possible, but it was also compulsory to learn a second instrument for the four years of the course.

So even at the highest level of musical education it was felt that it was not a good thing for music students to totally dedicate themselves to just one instrument.

Of course full time musicians have plenty of time for practice and I guess that's the main consideration if you have limited hours in the day.

Cheers,

Paul.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Church Drummer View Post
    I play several instruments fairly well. I've played piano, guitar and trombone semi-professionally, and have picked up drums and have been playing them in church for a little while now. There are pros and cons to learning more than one instrument. The biggest con to being a multi-instrumentalist is that if I devoted all my combined practice time to one instrument I would be a lot better at that one instrument. Playing more than one gives you a better understanding of music, and it's structure, and makes you more rounded. It helps break the monotony up a little, to practice on different instruments. All depends on what your goals are. If you want to be the best drummer (or pianist, guitarist, etc) that you can be, then learning a second instrument won't be as effective as spending all your time immersing yourself in that one instrument will. If your goal is to be a well rounded musician, or to write, or arrange music, learning a second instrument can really help.
    Have you seen chick corea at the drum kit?

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Have you seen chick corea at the drum kit?
    Yes and Stevie Wonder does a mean job of playing drums too!! Not saying you can't get real good at more than one instrument if you really want too, I just don't do this for a living a have limited practice time. I make the best of what I have.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

Larrysperf Guest

Yea only the calasis get in the way lol oh forgot drums, sax and clarinete

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by KISSFan300 View Post
    I was talking to one of my friends who plays guitar and he was talking to me about my drummming. He seemed intrested came over and watched and said that was something he would like to learn but is in the process of learning guitar. So i guess what i am getting at hs what do you guys think of learning two instruments at once. Keep in mind my friend is been playing guitar for about 5 months and his still learning.
    Probably would be best 'till he is proficient at guitar (maybe a year or so), and make sure he knows rythem. If he want to get started, tell him to get stick and a practice pad before buying a kit, that what I did. It a good way to get familliar with rudiments before making a 800-1200 dollar investment.
    Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I like to stick a drumstick up my nose while playing 64ths on double bass at 208.
    Epic Win.