Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Drummers band rehersal

User Info Menu

Default Drummers band rehersal

Hi
    For those of you who are in a band how much do you reherse? we do 4 hrs on a saturday and 2 hrs on a wednesday evening, now the guitarist want's to practice 3 or 4 night a week which is too much for me, my Misses would kill me plus i have a 5 yr old daughter and i practice every night at home..Don't know if it's gonna be a problem..don't know if it's me not rehersing with the band enough or Guitarist wanting too much fom us.
    Please Advise
    Cheers Mark
    Have you got you're ticket for the rock train? You gotta earn that Ticket!!

Premier Genista - Pearl Masters - Primus custom snare - Zildjian A Custom- DW 5000 pedal - Zildjian Zack Starkey sticks

I play lead Drums

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drummers band rehersal

I only play with my band once a week every Saturday for around 4 to 5 hours. Well now we're kinda disbanded due to lack of communication =/
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

think thats too much practice, unless you've a aerosmith long amount of songs i doubt ye'd need as much as they say. you'll find the band becoming stale and boring with too much practice
    Got to stop hitting my self in the face with those drumsticks!!

User Info Menu

It all depends on the bands situation, full time professional, semi pro, amateur etc, I understand that the band is new and you are working full time so your current practise regime seems quite fine.
    Every band member will have different circumstances and demands that will determine how much commitment they can put into the band. Most bands are a democracy and communication and honesty are paramount if the band is going to make it . Be open and honest with each other about time and commitments and all should be fine.

P.S , you can pratcise for 7 hours a day, 7 days a week, but Nothing gets a band tighter than live gigs!!

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Personally Mark I think what he's asking is really overkill. My band practices for 3-4 hours on Sunday afternoons, and might get together for a quick tuneup of a couple of hours before a gig.

I've never heard of any band practicing 3-4 nights a week. For people who work regular jobs and have families that is far too much of a commitment to ask for IMHO.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I agree with Norske and the others...to much can be to much. My band rehearses Sunday nights 7-9 pm and it's two solid hours of hard work. It wouldn't be a bad idea
    having a 2nd night to rehearse but 18 guys in the band, it's not feasible.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

I also tend to agree with the thoughts of evryone else, 3-4 nights seems to be a bit much , unless its just temporary to get ready for an up-coming gig .

User Info Menu

Whenever we can.
    Sticks
    Gretsch Catalina Maple Fusion (Deep Amber)
    10, 12, 14, 16 Toms 14 Snare 22X18 Bass (Stock heads)
    16 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    18 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    10 Inch Paiste PST 3 Splash
    20 Inch Zildjian Ping Ride
    14 Inch Paiste Alpha Medium Hi-Hats

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...35.html?t=8435

User Info Menu

Practice Practice Practice! Its gets ridiculous. Is this a full time band? Then go nuts. If you're a weekend warrior, then lets keep it real. We were practicing too much before our last gig, tension was up, enjoyment down, mistakes up, attitude down. So we did the gig, it was great! I'm sure we didn't learn or remember any big lessons from the last 2 practices we held so....... don't go too nuts!!

Russ

User Info Menu

My band comes from around the area, and our bass player comes an hour drive to my place where the kit is. We also have to fit practices around school and our busy schedules. So, our practices are really whenever we can for however long we can, there's no set routine.
    Last edited by Leprechaun; 01-26-2009 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Typos :(

User Info Menu

I agree with everyone else, One night a week about 4 hours should be plenty as a weekend warrior. If you have an upcoming gig, you can through in an extra rehearsal occasionally, but this isn't your full time job, and you do have a family life. Tell him what you're willing to do, and if that isn't enough let him find someone else. Sounds like you have your priority right, stick to your guns.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Agree with everyone here re: overkill. We practice together for a couple hours a week, maybe a couple extra thrown in if we have a big gig upcoming. We expect that everyone will do our homework if we're learning new tunes and come ready to try them out when we do get together. But then we're all has-beens and never-was' with day jobs and other commitments, so it works for us.
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

4hrs on Thursday with my blues band, 4 hrs on Saturday with my country/rock band, and about 1/2hr by myself on the off nights before karate. Once the country band gets going we will use matinees and soundchecks to learn new tunes.

My wife is a very understanding woman.
    Last edited by Northern Redneck; 01-26-2009 at 06:47 PM.

User Info Menu

My whole band is still in junior high and high school so we have a lot of time to practice. About every other day. My parents are very understanding people

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bruarm View Post
    But then we're all has-beens and never-was' with day jobs and other commitments, so it works for us.
    dude, You ever have other players come up and compliment you on your playing?
    Ever have an audience member tell you that you have made they're night and brought a smile to their face.?

then you have been and still continue to be someone.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I just contacted dudes and set up a new band... so I'll let you know in 2 weeks!
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

We tend to either practice or gig once a week, but that's because my lead guitarist has been on nights forever now. So sometimes we only get one night a week and it's either or. But he is coming off nights next month so we will start practicing during the week to save the weekends for either a show or a second practice. I think practicing 3-4 nights a week is too much and will burn you guys out...after a while you will stop progressing as a band.
    DW - PEARL - PDP - ZILDJIAN - EVANS - VIC FIRTH

Click for Gear Pics!

DW Collector's Series - Blue Glass - 10, 12, 14, 16, 23
    Pearl Session Custom - Green Burst - 8, 10, 12, 14, 16, 22
    PDP CX Maple - Red Glass - 12, 14, 16, 24

Quote Originally Posted by LudwigLifer View Post
    If we had centerfolds for drums,that kit would be in one of them!

User Info Menu

3 hours a week (on Monday nights). We might throw in an extra right rehearsal before a bigger show.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    dude, You ever have other players come up and compliment you on your playing?
    Ever have an audience member tell you that you have made they're night and brought a smile to their face.?

then you have been and still continue to be someone.
    Yes and yes

I just meant we're in it for the fun and it's not our livelihood. If it was our livelihood, we'd be practicing a lot more than that.

Very good point though rat!! Thanks!!
    bruarm - Mapex Mafia
    Mapex Pro M fusion kit natural finish
    Zildjians:
    14" K Custom Dark hats
    14" K Heavy Ride
    10" & 12" A fast splashes
    14", 16" & 18" A fast crashes
    Pearl Eliminator double kick
    Pearl free-floater brass snare (the deep one!!)
    not one, but 2 cowbells!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bruarm View Post
    Yes and yes

I just meant we're in it for the fun and it's not our livelihood. If it was our livelihood, we'd be practicing a lot more than that.

Very good point though rat!! Thanks!!
    you are welcome bud,

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I'd love to be able to rent a garage or building somewhere where my band can practice as loud as we like, practice at home is so hard without getting complaints we end up doing it unplugged.

User Info Menu

Of course your guitarist wants to practice an additional three to four nights a week. Guitarist are usually social idiots that can't form or sustain relationships with anybody other than their bandmates or anyone that will listen to them drone on about how great they are. Seriously if you are all working on your parts and developing new ideas outside of rehearsal to bring into rehearsals the necessity for 4-5 nights a week is ridiculous. I suppose the guitar player thinks you need to practice more because he is having trouble nailing his parts.
    "The Innocent Shall Suffer, Big Time"

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by markthechuck View Post
    Hi
    For those of you who are in a band how much do you reherse? we do 4 hrs on a saturday and 2 hrs on a wednesday evening, now the guitarist want's to practice 3 or 4 night a week which is too much for me, my Misses would kill me plus i have a 5 yr old daughter and i practice every night at home..Don't know if it's gonna be a problem..don't know if it's me not rehersing with the band enough or Guitarist wanting too much fom us.
    Please Advise
    Cheers Mark
    It sounds like your guitarist has confused band practice with learning songs time. Band practice is for working on arrangements and tighting up not learning songs. Everybody should learn their individual parts at home on thier own. Coming to practice unprepared without doing your homework just wastes everybodys time.
    We have a very specific agenda at my practices.
    1. Meetings and band related discussions happen during setup and tuning.
    2. Play a fun warm up song that we all know and is fun to jam.
    3. Go over songs from last practice once.
    4. Break
    5. Start on new material. If their is a song that somebody didnt learn at home we skip it and do it next week.
    6. Discuss songs to be learned for next practice (usually 5)
    7. Fun Jam.

User Info Menu

We do once a week about 3 hours. I'm with NR, people should do their homework. The rhythm guitarist in my band frequently doesn't and we waste a lot of time catching up. That being said, I don't think it's a waste to learn a song at practice if someone arrives having learned it on their own and wants to play it. If it's a song you all know already it shouldn't be that bad to put together.

NR's practices sound like ours, minus eating dinner and goofing around on songs we've known forever that we don't play anymore.

Given that you have a family, it's unrealistic for anyone to think you can as often as your guitarist wants, unless this is your full time job.
    Jesse

1986 Tama Crestar - Lacquered Piano White
    2016 Roland TD-25K
    2015 Tama Starclassic B/B - Indigo Blue Sparkle

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    It sounds like your guitarist has confused band practice with learning songs time. Band practice is for working on arrangements and tighting up not learning songs. Everybody should learn their individual parts at home on thier own. Coming to practice unprepared without doing your homework just wastes everybodys time.
    We have a very specific agenda at my practices.
    1. Meetings and band related discussions happen during setup and tuning.
    2. Play a fun warm up song that we all know and is fun to jam.
    3. Go over songs from last practice once.
    4. Break
    5. Start on new material. If their is a song that somebody didnt learn at home we skip it and do it next week.
    6. Discuss songs to be learned for next practice (usually 5)
    7. Fun Jam.
    I love to end on a fun jam session, its nice after a lot of hardwork